Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 174 33.92%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 339 66.08%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 12:58   #16
BHPian

This is a spare part price comparison from March 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.-price-compare-ford.jpg  

Old 10th March 2010, 13:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Visited Ford showroom yersterday to have a taste of the Figo.

I think Ford has a sureshot winner on cards. They have done thier homework very well and Pricing is just as perfect as it can get.
  • The Build is way superior to swift
  • The Engine, TDCi is a proven one and if not better atleast shoulder to shoulder equal to the DDIS
  • The Feature list is kind of mixed bag. You get ABS, Airbags in top variant but not Alloys, Fogs or rear power window. Kinda Swift is better here (will they launch a ZDI?)
  • The Pricing, again is bang on. A real swift killer here
  • After Sales Service ? - Many contradicting views shared. But in Genral, Maurthi seems to have a better A.S.S than Ford
  • Brand Image - (Very Subjective) Better than Chevy, Suzuki, Hyundai (?)
All the points seems to point to one Inference - Figo TDCi is a much better car to own than a Swift VDI.

But not necessarily good cars do well in Market. Probably Figo TDCi is the best contender at present to overthrow the Swift Vdi. Polo and Fabia's Pricing seem to take them nowhere. Punto's got its share of problems with A.S.S. Indica Vista's has'nt really recovered from the Taxi image. i20 CRDI seemed like a swift killer, however, its pricing makes it tough to compete with the DDIS Sale. Unless Hyundai gets in a nice CRDI within 6 lacs, Figo is the one that can challenge in Swift
Old 10th March 2010, 13:20   #18
BHPian

Car per se Figo wins hands down. Reasons ? Well pasting my own post from What Car section - " Space, Comfort, Nimble and Chuckable, good Ride, Best AC, good stereo with bluetooth, ABS, Airbags, Hydraulic steering for great feedback, High speed stability, great boot space, good build - I think its unbeatable proposition from Ford. "

Talking of spare parts, all we hear is its being priced very competitively keeping i10 and Swift spare parts in mind. If we go buy that statement, Figo will emerge as an all round excellent buy for most people.

Its too early to talk about sales numbers here. Ford is being aggressive here, one should wait and watch before declaring Swift will win any day. Swift, by virtue of being a Maruti product has the edge today in terms of more dealers and service centers. But, I suspect we are in a place where Swift is being seriously challenged, atleast the Diesel one. Hatch market dynamics are fast changing with more new cars being launched. The equations and numbers will change with other car manufacturers opening more dealerships, service centers and launching new small cars.

Bring Beat Diesel, Micra Diesel and Petrol, Toyota hatchbacks and some performance cars like Figo 1.6, Polo 1.6 and Punto Sport in the picture, Maruti will also have some new ones, you will understand the cut-throat competition it is getting to. All this will only lead to Marutis dominance being seriously challenged.

Last edited by rajivn : 10th March 2010 at 13:22.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:28   #19
BHPian

Figo is more spacious than Swift, period. Rest, Swift remains the queen of the segment. Still looks hot, Drives Zippy, Handles so well, Good FE (both Petrol & Diesel) ,completely proven, Absolutely reliable... and MASS.

Last edited by Ajay_J : 10th March 2010 at 13:29.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Not that I am disagreeing with anyone, but Ford owners (including me) have had a problem not only with the cost of spares, but also about the attitude of "replace instead of repair". Makes owning a Ford relatively more expensive.
I might have agreed with you before my last service at Metro Ford Eddy. This time i saw a change I was not prepared for. They offered to change only one wheel bearing instead of both (after testing whether one change would solve the issue) and instead of changing the exhaust pipe which had a 3 inch long hole suggested a welding in done(Total cost Rs300 vs complete exhaust change for many times that amount)

You can read the review here if you want :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-6.html

Things are really improving at Ford (atleast I think so) so I am sure it will give Maruti a run for their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The 'replace instead of repair' syndrome is a plague which has affected all service centers irrespective of brand, and not just Ford. I suppose customers also prefer the same.

Imagine if your car was in warranty, and there was a part failure.. which would you prefer? Replace or repair?
+1 to that. There are always times when you just go for a replacement, even if it is just for mental satisfaction.
Old 10th March 2010, 14:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to safety, price,engine,ride,space and build quality Figo beats Swift D hands down. Spares are debatable - from the posts above. I do not want to comment on looks as its subjective and both look OK to me. The only advantage i see for Swift is Maruti has lots of service centers.

To me Figo is a very clear winner over the overpriced Swift.

How about a poll?
Old 10th March 2010, 16:17   #22
BHPian

Figo!! Swift is over priced. Fir Power windows in rear also and u have a perfect car

I really hope maruti's sales go down the toilet so that they will stop squeezing money from the customers
Old 10th March 2010, 16:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
The Feature list is kind of mixed bag. You get ABS, Airbags in top variant but not Alloys, Fogs or rear power window. Kinda Swift is better here (will they launch a ZDI?)
Are you telling me that Swift has better equipment because it comes with power windows????
Swift diesel only comes in VDi trim which has four power windows and thats that!
Old 10th March 2010, 16:43   #24
BHPian

Give me a SWIFT any day. Doesnt matter if it is less equipped. One hell of a car it is, coupled with a good engine (petrol and diesel), handling, looks, FE, Fun to Drive and most importantly "A.S.S".

Last edited by mnhegde : 10th March 2010 at 16:47.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:31   #25
BHPian

i think we need a poll!!
Old 10th March 2010, 22:57   #26
BHPian

I was always of the opinion that the Swift Diesel was overpriced and was poorly equipped. Now the Ford Figo has proved the same by offering far more features and equippment than the Swift at a slightly higher price by say around Rs. 30K. Ford quality and refinement if far better than the Maruti. In my opinion the Figo should trigger a price war in small cars. Now even the Vista feels overpriced though it is now offering ABS and Airbags. So anyone looking for a decent small car can bet on the Ford Figo. In fact i was not a great fan of Ford till date but now i have to change my views.
Old 11th March 2010, 08:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

On road price Mumbai.

Ford Figo 1.4 Duratorq Diesel Titanium in Mumbai : 6,20,373
Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi ABS (Diesel) (Mumbai) : 6,13,952

For a difference price of 6421/- Ford offers the following features.

• Boot space 284 liter
  • 1.4 Diesel
  • ABS + EBD
  • MP3 Player with Radio (AM / FM) + 4 Speakers
  • Bluetooth Phone Interface
  • Full Phonebook Access
  • Call Logs (Incoming, Outgoing, Missed)
  • Call Swap, Call Hold, Call Mute, Privacy Mode
  • SMS Notification
  • Audio Streaming
  • Air-Bags(Driver | Passenger)
  • Defogger (Rear)
  • Electric Boot Open
  • Driver Seat Height Adjustable
  • Electric adjustable outside mirrors
  • 6 Speed Variable Intermittent Front Wipers
  • Anti Drip Wiping
  • Distance To Empty (DTE) Display
  • Low Fuel Warning Lamp
  • Chrome Finisher on Side Repeaters
  • Smart Programmable Keyless Entry
  • Rear Wash / Wipe
  • Rear Defogger
Please feel free to add/delete missing features.

The downside of Figo is with 69bhp, 160Nm of torque against 75bhp 190Nm of torque.
Figo wins with Neg. turbo lag, great handling and above creative comforts.

Note:This is not to let-down any Swift owners.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 11th March 2010 at 08:44.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:59   #28
BHPian

Wow Ramsagar !! Sir, you have summed the difference very well. Thanks for this info
Old 11th March 2010, 11:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
1) When it comes to safety,
2) price,engine,ride,space and build quality Figo beats Swift D hands down. Spares are debatable - from the posts above. I do not want to comment on looks as its subjective and both look OK to me. The only advantage i see for Swift is Maruti has lots of service centers.

To me Figo is a very clear winner over the overpriced Swift.
1) How can one conclude that ? Figo is nothing but old Fiesta, and its crash rating are similar to what Swift has scored.
And Figo is yet to prove itself here.
The fit and finish might be better in Figo, but I dont think that as far as safety goes, Swift has major disadvantage.

Above that, the Figo is based on older platform, not the latest.

2) This is Ford's own engine, where as the diesel in Swift if from Fiat. Suzuki did pay a lot of money for license. 1.4 has less turbo lag, but is not better IMO. The overall performance and driving pleasure just because of engine would be more in Swift.
From the figures we have, IMO, Swift is better performer with equal or better FE and equal safety.

3) We are not aware of the spare parts price of Figo.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

As of now, the Swift has been a proven performer. Maybe after a couple of months and the feedback of the initial owners start coming, then we will have a better picture.

Cost of maintenance will play a major role. The Swift is not exactly cheap to maintain (I own one) so it will be interesting to see how Ford manages this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks