Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 174 33.92%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 339 66.08%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 09:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.

Want to know how would Swift compared to Figo performance with their respective 1.3L(69bhp) and 1.4L(75bhp)?

After Ford revealing the prices of Figo the real battle had started between the Swift-VDI(ABS) & FORD-Figo(TNM). I've considered only two models being on road price below 7L for the top-end variants.

Features & comfort: I'm sure Figo wins in terms of features provided in Titanium model with hardly any feature left in Swift top end. Hope this make M.Suzuki boils to bring down the ZDI in swift as in Dzire. God knows what happens to the waiting period of ZDI.
Figo has tonnes of space with good Leg & shoulder room. Hmmm not to forget about the boot space. Would sound like the mini MUV. Swift disappoints in both the areas.

Engine & Handling: As many are aware of Fiesta TDCI is shared with Figo as well. This would be win-win here when Ford is considered which is already being proved in Fiesta. Should say there is negligible amount turbo lag when compared to Swift which goes boom after 2k rpm.
Figo wins here in terms of high speed handling without any drama.

Note:The above content is limited to my knowledge. Pls shed more light into this. Might be useful for the fellow Bhpians.

Last edited by Dippy : 10th March 2010 at 18:45. Reason: Deleting last line
Old 10th March 2010, 10:16   #2
girishbhat

Still I guess Swift will be the winner. At least in numbers. The maintenance of of Maruti vehicles are dirt cheap compare to the Ford vehicles. That matters a lot in this segment.

Old 10th March 2010, 10:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Girish,

That is completely illogical.
a. You have not seen the spares list - have you? Who knows they could spring a surprise like Fiat did with the Linea/Punto.
b. The Figo is well loaded. Why dismiss it so summarily? Maruti has been taking the market for granted and NOT brought a ZDi. Its a crying shame. Would be good if Figo TNM sales goad MSIL out of their lethargy.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Maruti has been taking the market for granted and NOT brought a ZDi. Its a crying shame.
+1. For decades they had the advantage. But guess no more. Many competitors are entering into this small/hatch back segments.

Regarding spares, not sure of pricing. But I heard they have reduced the spares prices for indian market on their Ikons & Fiesta. May be those owners will be able to tell us.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Not that I am disagreeing with anyone, but Ford owners (including me) have had a problem not only with the cost of spares, but also about the attitude of "replace instead of repair". Makes owning a Ford relatively more expensive.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Engine & Handling: As many are aware of Fiesta TDCI is shared with Figo as well. This would be win-win here when Ford is considered which is already being proved in Fiesta. Should say there is negligible amount turbo lag when compared to Swift which goes boom after 2k rpm.
Figo wins here in terms of high speed handling without any drama.
Having driven both engines, I would say the TDCi has the edge here. As far as handling is concerned, The Figo should have an edge as handling is Ford's traditional USP. Having said that, the Swift handles pretty well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishbhat View Post
Still I guess Swift will be the winner. At least in numbers. The maintenance of of Maruti vehicles are dirt cheap compare to the Ford vehicles. That matters a lot in this segment.
Marutis are not 'dirt cheap' to maintain. I own one and it's just a myth. If you compare maintenance cost of an Alto and a Fiesta, the Alto will obviously be cheaper to maintain. But try comparing the spare parts prices of a Baleno and a Fiesta. I remember Vasudeva (or someone else?) posting that their Zen was more expensive to maintain than a Corolla. I am sure there there are more such stories. Let's wait for the Figo spares prices to come out. I am also betting that Ford parts will be more durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Not that I am disagreeing with anyone, but Ford owners (including me) have had a problem not only with the cost of spares, but also about the attitude of "replace instead of repair". Makes owning a Ford relatively more expensive.
I own both a Ford and a Maruti and 'replace instead of repair' is pretty much the standard mantra at both places. If you are well informed, you can beat them up, but most folks go by what the A.S.S tells them to do.

Last edited by Gilead : 10th March 2010 at 10:49.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I own both a Ford and a Maruti and 'replace instead of repair' is pretty much the standard mantra at both places. If you are well informed, you can beat them up, but most folks go by what the A.S.S tells them to do.
Yes. When I had my Zen, every 6 month service costed me somewhere between 3-4K. My only duty was to take it to service and listen to them, get the car serviced and pay the bill.

Not that now I am more knowledged, but atleast with the 3 yrs cashless option from Chevy, its better

My friend gave his Santro for service. Its around 3 yrs old with 25K? on odo. The normal service cost was 3800Rs in Trident. And other complaints repair & spares was etc.

On the other had, check with our Lalu on his Civic maintenance. You will know how cheap it is to maintain.

So, time to wait for Ford price list & our members experience before we decide anything.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The 'replace instead of repair' syndrome is a plague which has affected all service centers irrespective of brand, and not just Ford. I suppose customers also prefer the same.

Imagine if your car was in warranty, and there was a part failure.. which would you prefer? Replace or repair?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th March 2010 at 11:17.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Still I guess Swift will be the winner. At least in numbers.
Yes Swift will the winner in numbers. But the difference the top 2 will be very less. Not like how it is today.

Quote:
The maintenance of of Maruti vehicles are dirt cheap compare to the Ford vehicles. That matters a lot in this segment.
Dirt cheap? Can you share some more specific info on this?. Maintaining a 800 would be dirt cheap compared to that of Fiesta. If you do comparisons like Dzire Vs Ikon and SX4 Vs Fiesta today there would not be vast difference. Figo is supposed to beat SWIFT in the cost of maintenance part too.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ford had competitively priced the spares when they released Fiesta.
Wish they would be more cautious about pricing the same spares for Figo, having the on-road the price of Figo in mind.

How is the acceleration of both the vehicle timing from 0-60 or 100?
Which one will out perform what?

The downside of Ford is the resale value. That is where Swift wins.
Maintainance would be more or less the same.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 10th March 2010 at 11:35.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:40   #11
BHPian

Ford Figo is faar better than the Swift. But after sales service is the next consideration. Figo wins in build quality and specifications, Swift wins in After Sales Service.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Ford team has planned over 85% localization of spares for the Figo which means they can price the spare parts comparable to MSIL/Hyundai for the Figo.

My Ford A.S.S experience is far better than any MSIL A.S.S center and that's purely my experience of owning a Zen against the Ikon & Fiesta.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:27   #13
BHPian

I guess its' not right to talk about the numbes between Swift and Figo.

Ford is more durable than the Marutis' and given the Diesel Engine, new looks, better price, it should be a winner if the spares are priced right and the service people's attitude improve.

No sire, Swift is not cheap to maintain as well. Its' only less expensive until you don't have a problem.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:42   #14
BHPian

Just my 2 cents,
Figo has come out well, it offers very good features at a very competitive price. I have driven the Fiesta Diesel and have found it silky smooth. Am sure the same qualities would have been carried with the Figo too, However, we must remember that after sales too is a major business area for automobile companies(I feel they make more money after sales) which is where the debate of "Buying one and Owning one" comes into picture. Lets wait and watch.

Cheers !
Old 10th March 2010, 12:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Cheap spares are a chimera in the era of CRDE technology. The single biggest item is the diesel filter which runs into thousands for any manufacturer, be it Maruti/ford/tata. 85% localization and the real competitive pricing itself is an indicator of cheap Figo spares.

Last edited by ramzsys : 10th March 2010 at 12:59.

Most Viewed