Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 12:31   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Transferring car from Pune to Mumbai

What's the procedure for moving a Pune (MH-12) registered car to Mumbai permanently?

Can one continue to drive the car in Mumbai with the MH12 registration?
Or does it have to be transferred to Mumbai registration? What's the procedure & cost?
Old 10th March 2010, 12:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are no problem as long as it is the same state. In your case you can continue using your Pune registered car in Mumbai without any problems as the registration and road tax paid is valid throughout maharashtra, although i am not sure about how the address change on the RC book is to be done
Old 10th March 2010, 14:56   #3
BHPian

As mentioned by fiat Tarun, no need to think about road tax but for address change, you need to pay nominal fee & can do it. But once you do, I am not sure about octroi as it's been removed but still many cities do collect the same. other than this there's no other expense.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:19   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
As mentioned by fiat Tarun, no need to think about road tax but for address change, you need to pay nominal fee & can do it. But once you do, I am not sure about octroi as it's been removed but still many cities do collect the same. other than this there's no other expense.
Does the address change need to be done in Pune RTO or Mumbai RTO?
Also will the registration change from MH12 to some mumbai registration?
Old 10th March 2010, 20:12   #5
BHPian

I think you need to get an NOC from Pune RTO. Then you can submit necessary papers at Mumbai RTO to confirm the transfer. However, I am not sure about Octroi charges.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:35   #6
BHPian

You dont have to do anything. simply take the care along with you to Mumbai and use it there. If you are moving within the same state nothing needs to be done as long as you are not selling the car to someone else. So dont worry. If u try to do the transfer from Pune to Mumbai which is not necessary u will unnecessarily end up spending money and going through several procedures.

Last edited by patil : 10th March 2010 at 22:36.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:53   #7
BHPian

Incase your present address is within Mumbai octroi limits (MH 01,02, 03) you will have to pay octroi as per norms for used vehicles.
As you are transferring it permanently it better to register it in Mumbai.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:50   #8
BHPian

I have driven a pune registered MH 12 in mumbai for close to 5 years. Had an address in pune and still have the same.

Have had the car towed at times and also paid some fines for skipping signals in the 5 years but have never been questioned for the mh12 number

No need to do the transfer if you have a valid pune address.

At the max you can keep some proof of your pune address with you if you have like Electric bill OR Phone bill. I had not done this too.
Old 11th March 2010, 19:32   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai cops generally don't harass you if its an MH number, whatever the city. You can always carry documents that show you have a valid *real* address in Pune too. The cars that attract trouble are the out of state registrations.

If you do wish to transfer your car to Mumbai, then the main cost will be the octroi. 4.5 % on the depreciated book value of your car.
Old 30th April 2013, 16:29   #10
BHPian

Re: Transferring car from Pune to Mumbai

Am considering buying a second hand car (circa 2005) from an acquaintance in Pune. MH-12 plates. He is second owner.

A few questions about the e process to transfer it in my name in Mumbai MH-03?

Would I need a NOC from Pune apart from all the usual car sale documents.

Who usually does the running around for NOC: Buyer or seller.

And would i have to produce proof of invoice value of car for octroi purposes to register in Mumbai or is it done on the sale value of the car?

Last edited by genesis : 30th April 2013 at 16:30.
Old 30th April 2013, 20:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Am considering buying a second hand car (circa 2005) from an acquaintance in Pune. MH-12 plates. He is second owner.

A few questions about the e process to transfer it in my name in Mumbai MH-03?

Would I need a NOC from Pune apart from all the usual car sale documents.

Who usually does the running around for NOC: Buyer or seller.

And would i have to produce proof of invoice value of car for octroi purposes to register in Mumbai or is it done on the sale value of the car?
Noc or form 16 I think, is required for all sales from one owner to the other. Once you have made the purchase and got the transfer papers in order, then you can re register your car within Mumbai, as your own car. Usually running around is done by the buyer, but it is a simple process and the relevant documents are available for a small fee from any resale dealer.
The sale agreement , noc and the xerox of the cheque, demand draft or a simple acknowledgement of sale by the seller should be enough to provide the invoice value of the car for octroi purpose.
Old 1st May 2013, 19:33   #12
BHPian

Any idea on what the new norms will be in terms of LBT. Even though one might pay LBT, say in Navi Mumbai, will LBT have to paid again to transfer it to Mumbai (post 1st Oct when Octroi is abolished in Mumbai and LBT will be introduced)?
if so
Old 1st May 2013, 22:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

I believe even with the Octroi the correct process would be to ask for a refund from the place where the tax was originally paid, and then pay a proportionate amount in the new location. However why bother when you are just moving from the Navi Mumbai to the old Mumbai? Carry your original papers and tax receipts, and they should be good enough.
Old 1st May 2013, 22:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I think you need to get an NOC from Pune RTO. Then you can submit necessary papers at Mumbai RTO to confirm the transfer. However, I am not sure about Octroi charges.
Thats right. If one has to move a car within the same state with all valid papers i.e. registration valid, road tax paid , insurance current with the PUC certificate, the owner has to take a NOC from the present RTA office where the car is registered.

Basically, for issuance of the NOC, upon the receipt of the application (with the requisite fee) from the owner, the RTA sends a note to the traffic police who take a few days to send their clearance saying the motor vehicle is not involved in any accident, reported from anywhere to the city, where it is registered.The RTA office also checks its records for any possible adverse entries made against the motor vehicle.

When the RTA office receives this clearance from its own section and the traffic police records, it issues the NOC addressed to the RTA of the proposed new place ,where it is to be taken.This NOC has a limited validity (time limit).

Upon reaching the new destination, the new RTA office is to be approached with new address proof documents and identity proof of the owner. The address of the owner is altered accordingly and a new smart card is issued upon payment of the requisite fee.That ends the process for a "within the same state transfer" of a motor vehicle.

The motor vehicle continues within the same state with the same (Pune in this case) registration number.

So NOC only basically is meant to check :

(1) Whether a motor vehicle with traffic offences registered against it is moved out of the jurisdiction of the place where it is registered. NOC is not given if the motor vehicle is involved in major traffic offences or has some major dues (taxes, fines etc) to be remitted to the govt account.

(2) The issuance of NOC also ensures change of address of the owner to the new place of residence.

No octroi or LBT or any local tax or state/ central tax of any kind etc of any kind is payable on used goods of any kind whatsoever.

Octroi is payable ONLY and ONLY for brand new goods brought into a city for use or consumption within the city.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st May 2013 at 23:06.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 23:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee
I believe even with the Octroi the correct process would be to ask for a refund from the place where the tax was originally paid, and then pay a proportionate amount in the new location. However why bother when you are just moving from the Navi Mumbai to the old Mumbai? Carry your original papers and tax receipts, and they should be good enough.
Navi Mumbai and Mumbai have two different Local Bodies; i.e NMMC and MCGM respectively. So though both are termed LBT the money paid in each area will be to that specific governing body.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks