Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 19:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6S totally deserves the badge. It is a different animal compared to the normal car.

The biggest offender is the Civic Sports and the Altis Sport. Let's make the car look like a Type-R and leave all the important parts the same as the 1.8 weaksauce car. Yeah, nice work Honda.
Old 12th March 2010, 19:39   #32
BHPian

Whats wrong in calling a car sports if it looks sporty? It does have some visual whistles and bells.
Please keep in mind, vision lies in the eyes of the beholder and the one which is sporty to you may not look sporty to someone else. Classic eg: is RS. Most people on the road take it for just another Octavia.
And some wierd and wacky one with inverted spoliers and broken silencer pipes can be viewed as sporty.
The manufacturers target the buyers market. Folks who are aware of this differentiation of a performance car and a car is just a small portion of that market.

Last edited by Car&me : 12th March 2010 at 19:44.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
The manufacturers target the buyers market. Folks who are aware of this differentiation of a performance car and a car is just a small portion of that market.
That small portion is here to discuss why just a badge and cosmetic upgrade to make it look sporty because its called a 'Sport' variant.

Why not something under the hood that could very well differentiate the word 'Sport' for a real enthusiast?

The vRS, GTX & the 1.6S are decent examples!
Old 12th March 2010, 20:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
That small portion is here to discuss why just a badge and cosmetic upgrade to make it look sporty because its called a 'Sport' variant.

Why not something under the hood that could very well differentiate the word 'Sport' for a real enthusiast?

The vRS, GTX & the 1.6S are decent examples!
They are decent examples and they all have another thing in common apart from being sporty. Very low volumes! Ford probably moves less than 50 1.6S a month among the 2000 odd Fiestas that are sold. Manufacturers have no incentive to release a truly sporty product here. But there are a decent number of people who will pay extra for the 'cosmetic' sports stuff, so from a manufacturer's POV there is nothing wrong in milking them.
Old 12th March 2010, 23:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread!
I think there should be a standard nomenclature defined by the ARAI (or some other apex body), about what should be the minimal number of features present for a variant to be named, say, basic, comfort, premium etc., and this practice should be followed industry wide.
Any company should be free to name their variants whatever they like, but the ad should mention something like - Hyundai i10 Asta (conforming to comfort specification of ARAI).
What do you guys think of this idea?
Old 13th March 2010, 08:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

The Apex body (ARAI) has already defined norms for head lamps, horn decibels etc, but no one follows it.

The first thing most people do is to upgrade. It appears Upgrading is the Macho thing to do.

If citizens start violating the existing norms, then why we should ask for more norms.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
@ Berry

Thanks for making this topic. I always used to think as to why they were named sports! I don't have any problems if they add 50+ BHP to the car and then call it as sports. What they do is adding 5-10 BHP, some foglamps and a new model is created.

The true cars that deserve a sports model are Cedia, Octavia RS and Verna. These are the only performance cars <15l.

I find it amusing when they add body kits and put it as sportz! Haha! They don't understand that we need under the hood changes and not cosmetic ones. But people still buy it!!!

Thats Ok dude, good to know that many of us thought on the same line but I will make a disagreement here with the Verna being in your performance car list which I really do not think it deserves as it just has a Torquey engine which doesn't suit its body type and size. Also it is very unstable at speeds in excess of 100kmph so that restricts it to be a sports or a performance car.
Old 13th March 2010, 12:09   #38
Team-BHP Support

For most car companies, "Sport" is just another word. They need to taught the essence of the word. I guess Fiesta S is one true worthy contender for the title. I also have a Kappa Sportz, but nothing Sportz about it !
Old 13th March 2010, 12:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

The Fiesta S has a de tuned exhaust note and suspensions.

I would say that the Palio 1.6 was one of the true blue sports car other than the RS.
Old 13th March 2010, 13:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Err... detuned? Are you sure about that?
Old 14th March 2010, 14:29   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Berry,

I see you are actually talking about two different things in your opening post. One is manufacturers using the "sports" nomenclature for cars that don't deserve it. And the second is what enthusiasts consider sporty. Lets address them one by one:

- In my opinion, the only three cars to deserve a "sports" badge till date are the OHC Vtec, the Skoda RS and the Fiesta 1.6S. The OHC Vtec had a power to weight ratio that is unmatched till today, 10 years after launch, in the segment (and a 0 - 100 / 160 time too). High-revving that engine is an extremely satisfying experience. The Skoda RS remains the definitive enthusiast car sold this side of 15 lakhs, with fantastic acceleration, handling and braking. The Fiesta 1.6S is a true "sportier" variant of a regular Fiesta 1.6S, with its stiffer suspension damping and superb driving experience.

However, I do agree that manufacturers calling an Estilo, Punto 90 PS and Bolero "sporty" is ridiculous! There is NOTHING remotely sporty about these cars at all.

Now, on the topic of enthusiasts referring to an Ikon 1.6 as a good driving machine, or raving about the Accord V6's performance. Well, "driving pleasure" doesn't only apply to Ferraris or (closer home) Toyota Supras. Driving pleasure will always be relative to other options in the segment and that's exactly where a car like the Ford Ikon scores. It's got a meaty steering, excellent dynamics and a torque happy engine. Only downer are the brakes. That said, is it fun to drive? Oh you bet it is.

Similarly, look up any of the cars from this article. Yup, they aren't Porsche 911s, yet each is an enthusiasts machine in its own unique way.

I own more powerful cars, still enjoy hurling a humble Chevy Spark down the Lonavla ghats. Give me a Punto 1.4 with a power/weight ratio of a mere 70 / 80 BHP and I'll still have a permanent smile on my face on the expressway. Hey, I enjoy driving cars with balance, irrespective of the price or segment. And who says only a car with 500 BHP gives you fun?

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2010 at 14:30.
Old 14th March 2010, 15:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the topic starter to an extent.

i cannot stand people calling cars like the getz,swift,verna as fast and sporty cars.

Call an RS sporty , OHC sporty,A MIVEC lancer to an extent the fiesta 1.6 its fine by me.
to me definition of sporty=
lancer evo/Golf r32 /WRX STi.
well the problem mainly lies in our taxation system.
because we simply have to pay much more for our horse power here in India.

taking cars like getz ,matiz and swifts,800's,alto's no matter how much you modify them with tuning boxes etc on tracks is pure waste of expensive rubber and fuel.

will i get a tuning box for my self to make my vehicle "sporty" ?
probably yes.
but not to take my swift/innova/scorpio on a track but rather improve my pickup/overtaking potential.

Regarding
Toyota for making "non sporty " cars.
i think you have Not witnessed the Lexus LFA
closer to home the we have the Supra.
Old 14th March 2010, 15:24   #43
BHPian

Every manufacturer adds some sports variants particlarly in hatches. Every cars with sports tag in india come with minor tweaks here and there.Some graphics,dual tone seats and alloy wheels etc. it's better to buy the stock car and spending ourselves than buying these sports variants that come with a higher price tag.and similarly with the price taxes increase so we gotta shell out a hell money on it. It's better to mod it after buying the normal one . The main point here is we can mod according to our own tastes and preferences and save some real money.
Old 16th March 2010, 18:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

presenting fiat punto sports.
Attached Thumbnails
What is so "sports" about it ?-dsc02494.jpg  

What is so "sports" about it ?-dsc02495.jpg  

What is so "sports" about it ?-dsc02496.jpg  

Old 16th March 2010, 19:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
presenting fiat punto sports.
Thats cheating because FIAT had shown a completely different Punto Sports at the EXPO . The alloy wheels were of Abarth design , put some pictures of the Interior. and is it launched already?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks