Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 17:41   #1
BHPian

What is so "sports" about it ?

Hi , I always criticize the Indian automobile market of foolishly using the word "Sports" or "Sportz" as Hyundai calls it. I have seen a lot of cars using this word as a suffix or just using the letter S (Read Fiesta S). Using allloy wheels which are nowhere near being sporty , a spoiler and some skirts makes their car a Sports Car and not to forget the Shoddy colors too?

examples:

Hyundai i10 Kappa Sportz
Old Ford Ikon Rally Sport
OHC 1.5 EXi S
Ford Fiesta 1.6 S
Civic Sports with ugly white alloys

etc are few examples and I know there are lot many.

Does any of the above cars boast an actual sports image or is there anything so sporty about them? Is there a Rally/Sports Suspension, any mods done to the engine or the exhaust manifold, any remap or chipping, any tuning options offered from the OEM for the above cars? NO.

I laughed a lot on FIAT for giving this nomenclature to the 90 Bhp Punto which is scheduled to be launched this year and was shown at the Auto Expo 2010. I mean how can a Diesel and that too a 90 Bhp one can boast a sports image? if we go by this logic then the Bravo 1.9 MJD will be what, Super Sports?

In India till date only one car has showed and behaved like a true sports car and that was Skoda Octavia RS and sadly it failed here and now you can own one at less then half a million rupees, for the used one for sure.

This was an example from the OEMs' side now see how us Indians go ga ga over the Accord V6 - current and old generation's sporting abilities, where and when did Honda mentioned that it is a sports car but still people or owners of it brag uselessly about its drag capabilities whereas it always fell flat against the Skoda RS.

The Ikon, OMG I still hear some nincompoops saying that "Ikon to rocket thi yaar". The Accord is just another 6 cylindered commuter car or I should term it as a vehicle (I term all of the eastern made machines a vehicle except Nissan) and there is no sports image attached to it.

I don't how many of you will agree to me but the Indian market is very much hyped when things come down to Honda and Toyota.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

i guess Ford Fiesta 1.6 S deserves that, because its comes with different suspension and exhaust on S model.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

There was a Palio 1.2 Sports and recently Estilo Sportz as well!
Old 12th March 2010, 17:46   #4
BHPian

I totally agree with Berry. The "sporty" changes are asthetic and are not made to the numerous technicalities. Most of the cars act as city cars and used by many for their daily city uses. Just a money making gimmick by the car companies I would say.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
i guess Ford Fiesta 1.6 S deserves that, because its comes with different suspension and exhaust on S model.
Are you sure about the things you have mentioned as I think there are just cosmetic changes that they have done to it. I may be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
There was a Palio 1.2 Sports and recently Estilo Sportz as well!
Oh yes , thanks for adding to it. Estilo sports is horrendous
Old 12th March 2010, 17:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^Palio 1.2 sports was kinda of lame but at least it came with a body kit + alloys. The worst of this lot has to be estilo.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:49   #7
BHPian

This is an interesting thread.

Of the cars you listed, yes Fiesta 1.6S has a stiffer suspension set-up and so it could be called sporty than its sister 1.6 (regular Zxi, Sxi etc). But the rest are all cosmetic changes to give the sporty look. So, I guess the question would be more about what defines "Sports" in Indian automotive scenarios for stock vehicles?

Cheers,
Old 12th March 2010, 17:57   #8
BHPian

What about Bolero Sportz with 73 bhp or so under the hood?
Old 12th March 2010, 17:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
Are you sure about the things you have mentioned as I think there are just cosmetic changes that they have done to it. I may be wrong
The Fiesta 1.6S has a stiff sports suspension. I know 'cos I drive one. The exhaust and the ECU settings are different too. It also runs on 15 inch low profile tires. Since the vRS is not available any more, this is the only true sports variant offered in any of the regular cars.

There is a Corolla sports too which is purely cosmetic. But at least it's got a good looking body kit.

The Cedia sports is purely cosmetic too I guess.

Last edited by Gilead : 12th March 2010 at 18:03.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:59   #10
BHPian

Interesting thread indeed. I think Maruti is the one who releases most number of sports editions with nothing "sporty" about it. Most of the time its just some flashy sticker work only. Its high time that manufacturers provide Sports editions atleast with a more powerful engine
Old 12th March 2010, 18:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Interesting thread indeed. I think Maruti is the one who releases most number of sports editions with nothing "sporty" about it. Most of the time its just some flashy sticker work only. Its high time that manufacturers provide Sports editions atleast with a more powerful engine
Abarth anyone?
Old 12th March 2010, 18:01   #12
BHPian

Adding up to the regular selling/non-selling model and tagging it Sports/Sportz/Trendz is just another strategy of wooing the so called Youth brigade of country I guess. And the companies do succeed to certain extent by doing so; though for us motorheads these tags don't seem to sound "sporty" enough and that's why this thread

@Berry: Looks like a sparking topic, let's hear more from our fellow bhpians
Old 12th March 2010, 18:04   #13
BHPian

Yes. Only the Fiesta S deserves that name because there is more to it than cosmetic changes. All others are "just another variant" to attract customers.

@Berry. I liked the bikes in your signature. One for each occasion. Good going.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 12th March 2010 at 18:08.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Adding up to the regular selling/non-selling model and tagging it Sports/Sportz/Trendz is just another strategy of wooing the so called Youth brigade of country I guess. And the companies do succeed to certain extent by doing so; though for us motorheads these tags don't seem to sound "sporty" enough and that's why this thread

@Berry: Looks like a sparking topic, let's hear more from our fellow bhpians
I as thinking of posting it for the past many months and now I got the time to type it down. Thanks for appreciating the effort though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post

@Berry. I liked the bikes in your signature. One for each occasion. Good going.
Thanks Bruvski, I am just uploading the pics to my album then have a look as well.

Last edited by Berry : 12th March 2010 at 18:28. Reason: spell check after posting.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well, going by the number of sumo walas who put 4x4 sticker, the santros/altos with performance stickers, and the bikers with BAT number plates and dabba silencers - "sticker sports" is here to stay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks