Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 20:16   #1
BHPian

Logan prices slashed by Rs. 50,000. End of the road for Mahindra-Renault?

End of the road in sight?

From PTI wire service:

Logan dealers offer up to Rs 50,000 discounts

New Delhi, Mar 15 (PTI) At a time when most automakers have gone for a price rise following the excise duty hike in the Budget, dealers of the troubled Mahindra Renault across the country are offering up to Rs 50,000 discounts on sedan Logan.
Dealers said discounts of various rates are available for both diesel and petrol variants of Logan, felling speculations that they were trying to liquidate stock as question mark continues to hang over the future of the JV between Mahindra & Mahindra and French auto maker Renault.
“A discount of Rs 50,000 is offered on both diesel and petrol variants and is valid till the end of this month,” a National Capital-based dealer told PTI.
Similarly, a Guwahati-based dealer said discount of Rs 18,000 will be available on diesel version and Rs 50,000 on petrol variant. A dealer in Mumbai also offered similar discounts.
With the Logan failing to make its mark in the Indian market selling just 4,981 units in the April-February period of 2009-10, down 60.03 per cent from the year-ago period, Mahindra and Renault have been discussing the future of the JV.
In fact, Renault-Nissan alliance Chief Carlos Ghosn had said at the recent Geneva Motor Show that he will spell out the future of the JV when he comes to India for the inauguration of the Nissan plant in Chennai. The event will be held on Wednesday.
In February, both Renault and Mahindra had said they will disclose the future roadmap of the JV within 30-45 days.
Old 15th March 2010, 20:42   #2
BHPian

I think this offer might be due to a facelifted Logan which was in pipe line.So we might except a new logan or a facelifted logan soon or end of JV too.

does anyone have nay scoop on this?
Old 15th March 2010, 20:59   #3
BHPian

Logan with improved looks = Renault / Dacia Sandero

Check it out on the renault global website below. I dont know why they didnt bring in this variant in the first place.

Renault.com - Renault Sandero
Renault.com - Dacia Sandero

Last edited by acidkill : 15th March 2010 at 21:05.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

So 50k less to have undetectable sex in parking lots?
Old 16th March 2010, 02:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
So 50k less to have undetectable sex in parking lots?
Aah!. Your comment might just result in a sudden spurt in Logan sales nationwide!. Many a true word is spoken in jest.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
I think this offer might be due to a facelifted Logan which was in pipe line.So we might except a new logan or a facelifted logan soon or end of JV too.

does anyone have nay scoop on this?
There was an announcement about the end of JV btw Renault and M&M in paper last week. IMO this could be the reason for the discounts as both parties might be looking to flush out last of the stocks.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

Cab drivers who bought Logans are crying. Apparently the spare parts take a long time to come after ordering.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:52   #8
BHPian

my family has just bought a sandero in germany and i drove it while we had -12° C in Berlin. It is a good buy. Nothing fancy but but definitly in Germany a huge success due to prices and robust quality.

I never understood Renault with the more than outdated logan in India. They could have release their Dacias in the first place.
Old 16th March 2010, 19:42   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a coincidence! Just this morning, I lit up a Marlboro in the balcony, looked at my neighbour's black Logan parked downstairs and thought "Man, that car looks 20 years too old already".

This discount is a classic case of too little, too late. Mahindra should have originally priced the Logan about a lakh cheaper, and on par with the Indigo from day one. The game has moved on with the Dzire and Manza now. Today, the Logan doesn't stand a chance, whatever the price. Think about this : the top-loaded Manza is cheaper than the top-loaded Logan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Aah!. Your comment might just result in a sudden spurt in Logan sales nationwide!. Many a true word is spoken in jest.
You haven't missed this thread, have you? MUST WATCH! Seriously.
Old 16th March 2010, 20:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Cutting price is a stop gap measure to keep the production lines rolling. I hope Renault is working on a design makeover.

I'd rather pay 50K more for a good looking redesigned Logan than buy this for 50K less.
Old 16th March 2010, 20:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

MRPL (Mahindra Renault PL) have offered discounts upto 50k several times.. so nothing new here. They must be clearing out their '09 stock.

One point that needs to be mentioned here.. end of MRPL doesn't neccesarily mean end of the Logan.

MRPL can be taken over by Renault India and then manufacturing, marketing, A.S.S. will be theirs.

Ghosn has clearly said that he still sees potential in the Logan. Maybe soon we will do see an updated Logan in the near future.
Old 16th March 2010, 20:32   #12
BHPian

They'd rather not discontinue this car and forever spoil their name in the Indian market. Anyway everyone looks at Renault as Peugeot for some reason. The facelifted one will come for sure but not soon because they will take time to localise it to get the costs down which I believe has not been done already. And by time, I mean a lot of time. Look at the time Figo took to come at that price, even if it shared half or more with the Fiesta and Fusion. So the new facelifted and localized Logan is still a while away. I doubt anyone will buy it unless they park it in the same showroom as the Micra from July. Parking it in Mahindra showrooms is a recipe for disaster and no sane buyer looking for a sedan is entering an M&M dealership. Only one sedan that too like Logan does not go too well with a showroom full of Xylo's, Scorpio's and Maxx's. I am sure Renault will pull the Logan to themselves.
Old 16th March 2010, 21:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a TV commercial for the same offer. Logan petrol at 4.4 lacs onwards.
Old 16th March 2010, 21:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
....., looked at my neighbour's black Logan parked downstairs and thought "Man, that car looks 20 years too old already".

Today, the Logan doesn't stand a chance, whatever the price. Think about this : the top-loaded Manza is cheaper than the top-loaded Logan!
Couldnt agree with you enough. i see a Logan parked next to my parking and everyday I see it I wonder the same thing. Does it have any resale at all...?
Old 16th March 2010, 22:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good, discontinue it and bring in the Clio V6.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks