Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car would you wanna be seen in?
VW Polo (Petrol) 277 62.53%
Ford Figo (Petrol) 166 37.47%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 02:48   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
There's no way you can tell me that the European car of the Year winner can compete with a recycled, chop job from Ford's derelict Indian stable.
If aged little master can score double century, why cant figo beat the latest(read polo)?
Old 18th March 2010, 09:06   #32
BHPian

If Polo was a make or break deal car for VW, they wouldn't have priced it so high with such lousy safety features. Figo's interiors does not worth mentioning here. Pink..!!! was that the best color their designers could come up with.

Well, the poll hints that VW Polo is ahead by a nose. I think VW got sane looks, a perfect rear and pretty good interiors. Unfortunately, some wise guy at VW decided not to have a 1.6(p) version in India - instead, they replaced the 1.6 petrol hatch with a sedan. Now, an under-powered car is not something I have on my check list. That is a deal breaker.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:27   #33
BHPian

Voted for Figo. As far as our country is concerned Figo has all the points advantage which a car buyer will opt for in comparison with Polo.
1. Fuel efficiency
2. Interior Space
3. Value for Money
4. low Upkeep costs(maybe) & A.S.S.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:33   #34
BHPian

Im finding myself at crossroads. Nice review though. My heart says Polo and my mind says Figo. Ideally, I would prefer the Figo 1.6S. I hope Ford makes it ASAP so that Polo 1.6 has some competition. If I had to take the petrol, I would think twice before paying 80k extra for the Polo but then I think its worth every bit and take the Polo. The only good point for the Figo is its ride and handling which is the top priority for me.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Ideally, I would prefer the Figo 1.6S. I hope Ford makes it ASAP so that Polo 1.6 has some competition. If I had to take the petrol, I would think twice before paying 80k extra for the Polo but then I think its worth every bit and take the Polo. .
Figo might be coming with 1.6 Hatch version. Polo is going to be a 1.6 Sedan and not a hatch. IMO, you should go with 1.6 Figo Hatch
Old 18th March 2010, 14:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
If aged little master can score double century, why cant figo beat the latest(read polo)?
What kind of an arguement is that? We're talking cars here, not cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
This polo is not exactly the car that won the european car of the year,this is a stripped out version.And regarding the Figo,it is based on an older fiesta platform which was well received in europe.
The Polo here is lower speced, yes. But its also lower priced than cars like the i20 and the Fabia, two very overrated cars IMO. Taking things into perspective, it delivers everything those cars offer minus a couple gizmos, for less. Less features don't take its ECOTY title away from it!

The design philosophy, mechanicals etc. are all the same. As far as power/ fuel efficiency is concerned, no one has done a detailed roadtest with accurate numbers yet, so that can wait till later.

The BMW 320d Executive edition has less features than its other editions. Does that make it a lesser car?

What Ford has done is, rather ingeniously, reused an obsolete platform, saving on development, retooling etc. costs, and created a hatchback with the illusion of being "all new". Truth is, its a chop job that leaves alot to be desired. The dash looks terrible, the design is the same as the Fiesta, only with worse instrumentation! It's essentially a Fiesta with cost savings and excise benefits passed on to the customer.

Again, I don't think this is a bad strategy - with no hot sellers and an ailing parent company, Ford India had few options. By launching this car, they are targetting the price conscious Indian and by that standard, this car is a HUGE success.

But comparing it to a thoroughly well engineered, globally acclaimed car like the VW Polo is simply wrong!
Old 18th March 2010, 14:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
What kind of an arguement is that? We're talking cars here, not cricket

The Polo here is lower speced, yes. But its also lower priced than cars like the i20 and the Fabia, two very overrated cars IMO. Taking things into perspective, it delivers everything those cars offer minus a couple gizmos, for less. Less features don't take its ECOTY title away from it!

The design philosophy, mechanicals etc. are all the same. As far as power/ fuel efficiency is concerned, no one has done a detailed roadtest with accurate numbers yet, so that can wait till later.

The BMW 320d Executive edition has less features than its other editions. Does that make it a lesser car?

What Ford has done is, rather ingeniously, reused an obsolete platform, saving on development, retooling etc. costs, and created a hatchback with the illusion of being "all new". Truth is, its a chop job that leaves alot to be desired. The dash looks terrible, the design is the same as the Fiesta, only with worse instrumentation! It's essentially a Fiesta with cost savings and excise benefits passed on to the customer.

Again, I don't think this is a bad strategy - with no hot sellers and an ailing parent company, Ford India had few options. By launching this car, they are targetting the price conscious Indian and by that standard, this car is a HUGE success.

But comparing it to a thoroughly well engineered, globally acclaimed car like the VW Polo is simply wrong!
Going by your own theory, Fiesta too is a successful European model. It is not decades old to be termed as obsolete.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:23   #38
BHPian

I saw Polo @ autoexpo and had a chance of sitting in the rear seats while my friend who is around 5'9 sat in the drivers seat and believe me no matter how good polo's handling maybe but the fact remains if you sit in the car your opinion will change.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:17   #39
BHPian

1. Ford's aim with Figo is to give a better car for people who would have otherwise bought a Swift or Vista or Ritz

2. In India Polo is designed to give a cheaper alternative for people who would have otherwise bought a Jazz or i20 or Fabia.

Both their target segments are different and it is not correct comparing the 2 just because both fall under 4 metres.

Last edited by Daewood : 18th March 2010 at 16:18.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:09   #40
BANNED

I voted for Figo because I believe it's a VFM product when compared with Polo. I think,as highlighted in this thread,there is further scope for refinement/enhancement in Figo.

How about highway drives? Is Figo good on that?

Cheers
Old 18th March 2010, 17:12   #41
BHPian

They both dont 'just' fall under 4 meters. They also have 1.2 l petrol engines running them, have a very similar spec sheet in terms of features. They cannot be kept away from each other just because they are priced differently.
I feel Polo is priced much higher because of its snob value while Figo is cheaper coz the brand knows how to sell a car in India(especially after the debacle called Fusion
Old 18th March 2010, 18:27   #42
BHPian

While everyone is bashing about the pink dash, you should remember that it's an optional choice and it comes with black as default. It's looks really nice when seen in black.

Last edited by sathee46 : 18th March 2010 at 18:32.
Old 18th March 2010, 18:51   #43
BHPian

Red dash or not, I think it looks good. Matter of taste. I would rather have a red dash (the dull brick red is quite good) compared to a dirty beige or a boring black. And yes well , black dash is an option. It's a bit like debating the looks of the Xylo.You either love it or hate it.Period.
Old 18th March 2010, 22:21   #44
BHPian

Just voted. Thought both will be at par. Ultimately my vote gave the POLO a simple leading (Know this is not the constitutional voting to desist from revealing)
Old 18th March 2010, 22:27   #45
oss
BHPian

Voted for Figo - unbeatable value proposition.

If it is diesel, we don't need a poll to decide the winner - do we

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks