Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which car would you wanna be seen in?
VW Polo (Petrol) 277 62.53%
Ford Figo (Petrol) 166 37.47%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 22:36   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
Figo might be coming with 1.6 Hatch version. Polo is going to be a 1.6 Sedan and not a hatch. IMO, you should go with 1.6 Figo Hatch
Are you sure about this? This would be really sad if its true. Any proof?
Old 18th March 2010, 23:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
Going by your own theory, Fiesta too is a successful European model. It is not decades old to be termed as obsolete.
The Fiesta name stays the same but the shape that is sold here is out of production in Europe.

In fact the FIGo launch happened few months after the end of production in Europe and that gave them enough time to transport the dies to India.
Old 18th March 2010, 23:38   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll vote after I TD the Polo and Figo Petrol.

I have driven the Figo diesel. All I can say is, people may thrash the car for being old, un-exciting looks, no rear power windows, poor A.S.S history, pink dashboard (why don't ppl understand that it's optional?) etc etc. BUT once you see the Value For Money proposition (Initial cost and Fuel Cost) all the complaints seem unjustfied to me.

Common, the reasons for all the skimmping is to cut the cost and they have passed on the damn benefits to us customers.

Polo seems to attract people wanting the latest, snob value, premium feel etc. But the same people are ready to forgive the Polo for not offering creature comforts like ACC and Powered ORVMS. Even then it's a premium car for them. Am confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
There's no way you can tell me that the European car of the Year winner can compete with a recycled, chop job from Ford's derelict Indian stable.
The Figo is relevant to the indian market. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
But comparing it to a thoroughly well engineered, globally acclaimed car like the VW Polo is simply wrong!
Dude, even I don't like to compare both the cars. I have mentioned this in some of the other threads as well. But you know what? Can you and me stop people from comparing? People out there (Non BHPians) and BHPians here have decided to compare the cars and well that's it.

Like it or not, Figo is compared to Polo and this should be giving sheepish smiles at Ford and heartburns at VW.

Frankly I see that here in T-BHP itself

Last edited by kiku007 : 18th March 2010 at 23:41.
Old 18th March 2010, 23:59   #49
BHPian

I voted for the Figo albiet I really hate the Red Dashboard, although in terms of Handling and Engine, it seems to be ahead of the Polo.
Old 19th March 2010, 00:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I'll vote after I TD the Polo and Figo Petrol.

I have driven the Figo diesel. All I can say is, people may thrash the car for being old, un-exciting looks, no rear power windows, poor A.S.S history, pink dashboard (why don't ppl understand that it's optional?) etc etc. BUT once you see the Value For Money proposition (Initial cost and Fuel Cost) all the complaints seem unjustified to me.

Common, the reasons for all the skimmping is to cut the cost and they have passed on the damn benefits to us customers.

Polo seems to attract people wanting the latest, snob value, premium feel etc. But the same people are ready to forgive the Polo for not offering creature comforts like ACC and Powered ORVMS. Even then it's a premium car for them. Am confused.

The Figo is relevant to the indian market. Period.

Dude, even I don't like to compare both the cars. I have mentioned this in some of the other threads as well. But you know what? Can you and me stop people from comparing? People out there (Non BHPians) and BHPians here have decided to compare the cars and well that's it.

Like it or not, Figo is compared to Polo and this should be giving sheepish smiles at Ford and heartburns at VW.

Frankly I see that here in T-BHP itself
Very nicely laid out reply and makes perfect sense. Ford should be proud of it's achievement, if people even compare it to the Polo. I do agree that the Polo might be handsome'r but the Figo has it "Beat" in just about every other aspect.

I fail to understand why people accept anything that is offered by a seemingly premium brand(I say seemingly just to piss off people, because no one can argue the fact that VW means people's car), when it has clearly been de-specced. A 3 cylinder engine might be fine in an Estilo and an A-star, but not in a premium hatch like the Polo.

I was fervently praying that atleast on tbhp people would see sense and stay away from the car. However, that won't be the case, I just hope that the car doesn't become a huge hit, otherwise VW is going to continue to take the Indian customer for a ride.

Last edited by Amartya : 19th March 2010 at 00:15.
Old 19th March 2010, 00:24   #51
agm
BHPian

Well , i have seen and driven both the cars and i find Polo to be better then Figo anyday.,In almost all the aspects.Pricing of polo to me is slightly on the higher side else i liked everything about the car.Only thing which need to been seen is VW A*S and maintenance cost.

Last edited by agm : 19th March 2010 at 00:30.
Old 19th March 2010, 08:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Are you sure about this? This would be really sad if its true. Any proof?
The best proof I can offer is calling a VW dealer. If you try booking a 1.6 version, then they will tell you what I mentioned earlier.

Also, please refer to this link.

I was also waiting for polo 1.6 hatch until I heard this disappointing news. Now, I have to look else where I guess.
Old 19th March 2010, 08:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Polo all the way for me! Clean design, surprisingly peppy performance from a 3 cyl engine, solid build, well appointed interiors and more importantly, an international car with character. Figo looks to me as a cut and paste job from all previous cars offered by Ford in India. Ford’s masterstroke is the pricing. But do they have the guts to offer the European Fiesta (which is the actual competitor to Polo) in Indian market at the price points what VW is offering Polo?
Old 19th March 2010, 09:19   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
But do they have the guts to offer the European Fiesta (which is the actual competitor to Polo) in Indian market at the price points what VW is offering Polo?
Interesting question. I'm eager to check out the positioning of the 2010 International Fiesta if it's launched in India.

My guess is that now since they have launched the Figo in the 3.5L to 5.5L (Ex-showroom) segment they can clearly position the 2010 International Fiesta in a segment above as competition to i20 and price it at that levels.

By that time if Polo fans are successfull in comparing the Polo to the i20, they may please compare it to the 2010 Int Fiesta

Last edited by kiku007 : 19th March 2010 at 09:20.
Old 19th March 2010, 09:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I was fervently praying that atleast on tbhp people would see sense and stay away from the car. However, that won't be the case, I just hope that the car doesn't become a huge hit, otherwise VW is going to continue to take the Indian customer for a ride.
If the car is a hit in a free market, does it not mean that a lot of people like it? Is it your point that if they do, they would be all wrong to your right?!
How is hoping that lots of people don't like the car make any sense to anyone other than a direct competitor?!
I have no strong views about either car at this time, but since I keep coming across such posts on the forum that leave me puzzled, this post.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:11   #56
BHPian

Just out of the competition perspective, both figo and polo offer enough VFM and this could well be Shift+Delete for i10,swift and Ritz from the market. Guess with fast maturing indian market there is no place for aging cars. For years maruti hatches were left unmarked and they had an uninterrupted smooth ride in the market. Now it is time for them to tighten their seat belts, boy ride is getting rougher.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:18   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

I fail to understand why people accept anything that is offered by a seemingly premium brand(I say seemingly just to piss off people, because no one can argue the fact that VW means people's car), when it has clearly been de-specced. A 3 cylinder engine might be fine in an Estilo and an A-star, but not in a premium hatch like the Polo.
Exactly. I thought people here at TBHP at least would scoff at being handed down an inferior engine!
For ages, we have been getting de-tuned engines from international manufacturers. That is still ok because we give more importance to FE than BHP.
But to give us a 3-pot engine where everyone else gets at least a 4 cylinder engine is too much to digest. So what if the car looks nice from outside. There might be people out there who buy their wine based on the shape of the bottle it comes in, but i am not one of those!

By the way, VW website doesn't even list India in their Vokswagen Worldwide section!
Volkswagen Worldwide

Needless to say my vote goes for Figo.

Last edited by amitoj : 19th March 2010 at 10:19. Reason: voted as well
Old 19th March 2010, 10:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford’s masterstroke is the pricing. But do they have the guts to offer the European Fiesta (which is the actual competitor to Polo) in Indian market at the price points what VW is offering Polo?
Well in that case, going by your question, we have to remove:, Santro, Getz, Accent, Maruti 800, Alto etc from the Indian market, as they all have more modern siblings running elsewhere in the world, which removes atlest 70% of cars running in India.

Lets appreciate Ford for understanding the economics and mindset of Indians and having delivered what the markets needs. And by the way, Polo is not that new either..
Old 19th March 2010, 11:00   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumya_Ramesh View Post
Just out of the competition perspective, both figo and polo offer enough VFM and this could well be Shift+Delete for i10,swift and Ritz from the market. Guess with fast maturing indian market there is no place for aging cars. For years maruti hatches were left unmarked and they had an uninterrupted smooth ride in the market. Now it is time for them to tighten their seat belts, boy ride is getting rougher.
Not quite. The Marutis don't sell without a reason. Even now, the K-series petrol engine is the benchmark. Maruti isn't what it used to be a decade ago. They are catching up very well with the competition.

Hyundai - Wonder what's stopping them from launching the i10 CRDi?

And I feel that the small car segment pie will get bigger than cannibalisation of market share between the companies.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:49   #60
BHPian

Quote:
But do they have the guts to offer the European Fiesta (which is the actual competitor to Polo) in Indian market at the price points what VW is offering Polo?
Very valid point.

If VW can offer their current generation Polo at 4.34L with just 50% localisation why can't Ford offer their current generation Fiesta hatch at a lower price as they have already achieved 80% localisation for their Figo?

Ford's attitude towards the Indian customer is not apt considering India's potential today with a huge middle class whose income is growing at 15%/year. They think they can offer an recycled old car and fool the Indian customer. As an Indian we demand to be treated on par with the world.

When Ford launches the Fiesta hatch in India we can compare it with Polo. Comparing Figo with Polo is like comparing Estilo and i10.

Most Viewed