Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which car would you wanna be seen in?
VW Polo (Petrol) 277 62.53%
Ford Figo (Petrol) 166 37.47%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:22   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

The car is back in the workshop just the day next to the day he collected the delivery.

Will update you guys on further course of action what the dealership is doing.
Are we in for another Skoda story here ? Will wait for the update anyway.

May be OT: My friends are managing to get TDs in Polos that are ready for delivery to the customer. AFAIK, Ford is not doing this. And here we say VW is a premium brand.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:29   #107
BHPian

Both these cars in discussion are avoidable when one has much better options available in the Indian car market.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:58   #108
BHPian

I visited Orion motors in Hyderabad to take a look at Polo. Though the base version was not available, the price for the base version seems to be just OK. Neither too pricey nor cheap. VW might have done good brainstorming on pricing. I was apprehensive about the spare parts prices. the sales consultant said the following.

1. Since Polo is a premium brand, the spare parts would be sold at 15-20% premium

2. If you wish to go for 15 inch alloy wheels and tyres, it would cost additional Rs. 50000 approximately

3. First service is at 15000 KM or one year whichever is earlier.

I am checking with VW officials about the spare part prices. Keep you posted.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

FIGO all the way for me

hey guys,

good thread, i vote for the Figo over the polo.
  1. the aftersales of ford is way better than that of VW.
  2. the no. of dealerships ford have are MORE than those of VW.
  3. acc to me figo looks better, is more spacious, has a go anywhere attitude. while the polo has a only city attitude.
  4. nothing great to chose with regards to the engine, both are pretty sad.
  5. figo is a whole LAKH cheaper than the polo.
  6. Brand value. For me ford has much more brand value than Volkswagen.
  7. History: Ford has made only successfull models in India (except for fusion) while VW has only made duds in India.
  8. The Black figo looks WAY better than any colored POlo.
Because of the above reasons i preffer the Figo over Polo.

cheers,
ac
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:39   #110
BHPian

Polo for me anyday. But agreed that Figo is definitely VFM.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:45   #111
Senior - BHPian

The Polo looks somewhat similar to the Palio and Polo beats Figo in the looks department.

Figo looks like a dated design. Is it only me?
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Figo looks like a dated design. Is it only me?
me too. But for me Polo too looks like old indica without quirkiness! only VW badge make it to feel good/premium!

my vote is for Figo due to its VFM tag and Ford DNA![FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:23   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
But for me Polo too looks like old indica without quirkiness! only VW badge make it to feel good/premium!

[/FONT]
Did you really mean that?
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:20   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
me too. But for me Polo too looks like old indica without quirkiness! only VW badge make it to feel good/premium!
Really? Polo and Indica looks are entirely different to me.
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:54   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
I would prefer polo over figo , as polo is tested model and brand where as figo is new launch that too in India.
Would not like to be made a guine pig with a Figo knowing Ford has the knack of bringing new variants over old models to keep sales up , classic case Fiesta.
Fabiaous, I didn't quite understand your post. esp the 'guinea pig' part.
Old 24th March 2010, 02:33   #116
BHPian

Was stuck in traffic this evening when a bright red Polo being test driven by someone pulled over next to me.
Agreed that since it's a new car which is one reason why it was standing out from the crowd, but must also admit that it sure has some stance for a hatchback!!
It was the top end variant with alloys, accessories, et al. When I went past it, the front end was what diverted my eyes off the road and to my window - what a menacing front has this car got; I was sold at the sight of it. Period. Replace the Indian spec headlamps on this baby and you've got one helluva looker.
Very handsome/pretty car this one. Love it.
Old 24th March 2010, 02:59   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Was stuck in traffic this evening when a bright red Polo being test driven by someone pulled over next to me.
Agreed that since it's a new car which is one reason why it was standing out from the crowd, but must also admit that it sure has some stance for a hatchback!!
It was the top end variant with alloys, accessories, et al. When I went past it, the front end was what diverted my eyes off the road and to my window - what a menacing front has this car got; I was sold at the sight of it. Period. Replace the Indian spec headlamps on this baby and you've got one helluva looker.
Very handsome/pretty car this one. Love it.

You are absolutely right, although the lights cannot really be changed (refer to posts by another tbhpian looking to order the lights from Germany), the Polo is a very handsome car. No two opinions about it.

I want to see how they price the 1.6 version (if they launch it, they certainly seem to be thinking about it), and whether they kit it with the euro spec headlamps.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:05   #118
Senior - BHPian

My contribution to close the debate on which is better:
The fact remains both the cars are actually made with different set of customers in mind, and the fact that you like it or not would depend on which type of customer you are.

1. Ford Figo is made with Upper part of the -middle class in mind, who seek more value and all they want is some good car with good space and fuel efficiency (esp. Diesel) etc. It surely serves the purpose better

2. VW Polo is made with Lower part of the - Upper class in mind, these are people who look for quality and who see the German build cars as a epitome of quality and strong build, and those who buy cars not just for value but also as a benchmark of thier status (Not that Ford is not a status symbol). These people wont mind paying 1 lakh more for almost the same value vehicle for the VW badge, which is of course justified from thier end.

One's like or dislike of the car depends on what mentality you are aligned to.

But the success of either car would depend on which of these group is a higher volume one. Success of a car has nothing to do with the the car is better or not, as in my opinion, both the car meets the expectation of thier respective target customers. I would say both are a success in thier own way.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:18   #119
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know we had so many shades of classes in India - as if we did not have enough of castes already!! By what criteria would you assign people to the two you mention?!
Old 24th March 2010, 10:38   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
My contribution to close the debate on which is better:
The fact remains both the cars are actually made with different set of customers in mind, and the fact that you like it or not would depend on which type of customer you are.

1. Ford Figo is made with Upper part of the -middle class in mind, who seek more value and all they want is some good car with good space and fuel efficiency (esp. Diesel) etc. It surely serves the purpose better

2. VW Polo is made with Lower part of the - Upper class in mind, these are people who look for quality and who see the German build cars as a epitome of quality and strong build, and those who buy cars not just for value but also as a benchmark of thier status (Not that Ford is not a status symbol). These people wont mind paying 1 lakh more for almost the same value vehicle for the VW badge, which is of course justified from thier end.

One's like or dislike of the car depends on what mentality you are aligned to.

But the success of either car would depend on which of these group is a higher volume one. Success of a car has nothing to do with the the car is better or not, as in my opinion, both the car meets the expectation of thier respective target customers. I would say both are a success in thier own way.

Correct me if I am wrong.

It does not make sense. I am sorry but probably that is your way of looking at things. I was just showing your reply to colleagues (around 21 people) and they think it is absurd.

Most Viewed