Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which car would you wanna be seen in?
VW Polo (Petrol) 277 62.53%
Ford Figo (Petrol) 166 37.47%
Voters: 443. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 15:29   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
Truth is a bitter pill, reflects well in your comments. Coral red dash, silver console, coupled with black may suit your taste, but unfortunately for most of us it does not and it has indeed made people run away towards a normal dash. You dont need to take the comments personally, it helps when you accept reality.
Color is personal preference. If you dont like it doesnt mean its bad.

Quote:

@Gilead : Figo has churned up numbers and thats what it was supposed to do, to bring in masses. Its too early to measure success in terms of numbers.
What Gilead meant is that Figo has got 1000s of customers already which says that it is not a car that make one do suicide.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:31   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Truth is a bitter pill, reflects well in your comments. Coral red dash, silver console, coupled with black may suit your taste, but unfortunately for most of us it does not and it has indeed made people run away towards a normal dash. You dont need to take the comments personally, it helps when you accept reality.

@Gilead : Figo has churned up numbers and thats what it was supposed to do, to bring in masses. Its too early to measure success in terms of numbers.
Agree cent %.
In first place one cannot compare Figo to Polo.
Given that Ford has a short lifecycle of it products hurts , it even hurts more when old engine from fiesta is plonked on figo.

Will be intresting to see how long figo can retain momentum,
Polo is not behind volume selling , it has created a niche for itself and above all its a proven engine with excellent build and classic interiors.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:37   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The only reality as of now is that the Figo has outsold the Polo by 10 times. Everything else including whether the interiors are tasteful or not is subjective. What's reality and truthful for you may not be reality for others. Would you agree?
Polo has 5K bookings, so Figo having 50K is not a reality but imaginary, so mate I cannot agree on your imagination as reality is different.

@joshdrive: yes color preference is different hence there is a black dash option, what I said is majority of people dont like it, suicidal comments are not to be taken with their literal meaning.

Last edited by formel_eins : 13th April 2010 at 15:43.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:47   #169
BHPian

I'd give these two cars some time. You'll see why, time and again, Ford products gain initial traction and then lose it almost overnight.

The I20's interiors don't do anything for me. They seem typically Korean i.e. a 3rd world attempt at cloning the best from the West, only to end up with a confused puddle of ergonomics. On the other hand, atleast its an attempt.

As far as initial sales go, don't diss VW just yet. Their production capacity is still ramping up, there is a waiting period and they haven't even launched the diesel yet.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:49   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Agree cent %.
I agree with this.They may cater to different requirements.

Quote:
Given that Ford has a short lifecycle of it products hurts , it even hurts more when old engine from fiesta is plonked on figo.
Life cycle of Ford vehicles atleast in India are on par with competition.

Quote:
it even hurts more when old engine from fiesta is plonked on figo.
The engine in question is arguably the best diesel engine we have in India under 10L.Petrol engine too is decent although not the best. Why should it hurt to have a proven and excellent engine on a budget Hatch.

Quote:

Will be intresting to see how long figo can retain momentum,
Polo is not behind volume selling , it has created a niche for itself and above all its a proven engine with excellent build and classic interiors.
Good explanation for not making desired nos. Was it expected from VW that Polo will sell less that 1000 per month(like Fabia)?

So if VW reuses existing engine it becomes "proven" and for ford it is "old"?
Old 13th April 2010, 15:57   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
I agree with this.They may cater to different requirements.

Life cycle of Ford vehicles atleast in India are on par with competition.

The engine in question is arguably the best diesel engine we have in India under 10L.Petrol engine too is decent although not the best. Why should it hurt to have a proven and excellent engine on a budget Hatch.

Good explanation for not making desired nos. Was it expected from VW that Polo will sell less that 1000 per month(like Fabia)?

So if VW reuses existing engine it becomes "proven" and for ford it is "old"?
Well dont take it personal.
No one are shareholders of Ford here
More cars are sold good for ford

Last edited by Dippy : 12th May 2010 at 09:53. Reason: Please avoid using excessive dots like...this...
Old 13th April 2010, 16:15   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

The fanboy posts on the Polo are very humorous. Keep it going guys!

BTW do remember to write to the editors of Car magazines, TV Car shows and a full page AD to sensitise the public (no no, full newspaper. Common VW has the cash) informing all of them that they are wrong by comparing the Polo to the Figo.

And if you may, please give the criteria for choosing as well. Coz you are in a fix. You say it's a niche car which does not need volumes. So can't be compared to i20. So what do we have? Fabia and Jazz. If this is the defined competion then it's a grand success

P.S: Pls search for my posts in this thread if you have any opinion that am against the Polo.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:29   #173

Voted for Polo.

Though I am planning to buy Ford Figo(Diesel) soon, answering the question with honesty I would love to be seen in VW Polo(Petrol) than in a Ford Figo(Petrol). But as things stand now, I am looking for a diesel hatchback and Polo is out of budget.

If I can take the luxury of comparing brands as well, VW definitely feels more premium than Ford. But from a practical point of view, the Ford has a wider service n/w and a longer history in India.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:34   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree cent %.
Alright, but but then why are there so many posts comparing the Polo with the Figo in this very thread? Mostly by people who have booked the Polo. Even Auto Mags and TV Shows are comparing the two. But I am sure you have a very good reason for saying why they should not be compared. Kindly enlighten us.

Quote:
Polo is not behind volume selling, it has created a niche for itself
So Polo is a niche offering that is not after volumes. I wonder what VW was thinking when they built a plant with a capacity of over 1 lakh vehicles.

Quote:
Polo has 5K bookings, so Figo having 50K is not a reality but imaginary, so mate I cannot agree on your imagination as reality is different.
I can't help it if the Figo has 50K bookings in your imagination. It has 10K bookings. Go and look at the march sales thread. Polo sold 600 odd whereas Figo sold 7000 odd. That's 10 times more. Like I said, please come back to reality.

Quote:
As far as initial sales go, don't diss VW just yet. Their production capacity is still ramping up, there is a waiting period and they haven't even launched the diesel yet.
VW not launching their diesel at launch speaks volumes about their competence and lack of knowledge of the Indian market. They have been talking about their 1 lakh capacity plant for a year now. I guess they are still ramping up. I also think that their execs were busy enjoying Oktoberfest when Ford was ramping up it's capacity and doubling the number of dealerships in a short span including opening 28 in one day.

Last edited by Gilead : 13th April 2010 at 16:40.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:41   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I have voted for the Polo mainly for the interior & looks.

The drive & ride, as factors for making choice are subjective, as one person may prefer the settled ride over sporty handling.

Yes, at present VW have a long way to go on the service network but Ford is bit better only after (~) 15years of operation in India. VW will sure ramp up the network as they know in order to become numero-uno they have to have big numbers in India & China.
I would like to dilute my comments a little, after the showroom hopping (on Sunday) that I have done for gaining little more first hand knowledge about the two cars.

Ford Figo : My observations
1. Bland exteriors, in fact decade old design.
2. Good Interiors, in either (clay) red or black dash. Must comment on the quality of seat fabric... bang-on... better that than competitors.
3. Class leading storage space in boot. However, same cannot be said about the glove-box (in light of Polo)
4. Fantastic legroom.
5. Solid body. 1000 times better than sales leader & even better that my Xing.
6. Boot & fuel lid release button on the dash is ease to use & welcome from my side. Convenient to use.
7. Bonnet lever on co-passenger's side... weird & illogical.
8. No accessories till date.
9. (Over) Enthusiastic sales staff. But was attended well (in positive sense) beyond my expectations from a Ford dealership. Would rate this one as above very good, but not excellent.
10. Definitely a VFM cars in either avtar.

VW Polo : My observations
1. Fantastic exteriors, screams high class... the look from the front, paint quality (lustre & finish) is better than any car below Rs.10 lacs.
2. Simple but functional & solid interiors. I liked the black-beige combo.
3. Seat fabric is good but not the best. 1st accessories to be put in the car are new seat covers (preferably good quality leather seats) to compliment the exteriors.
4. Boot release which is incorporated in the VW logo was novelty factor for me. Liked it very much.
5. Get all four power windows. I would love to have it after front only power windows on my Xing XG.
6. Accessories available immediately.
7. Showroom experience very good but not good as Ford.

Still would like to go for my choice as Polo if I go for a small car in future.

PS : Did not go for test rides as I had lied to my wifey about my venture in morning on Sunday, especially after I had promised her that I won't waste Sunday on cars. Managed to save my head back at home.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:19   #176
BHPian

@Gilead : I missed out on the word outsold, my bad, well if in terms of cars on road, yes figo has outsold, whereas in terms of bookings Polo has 5K without even launch of diesel and with only 40 dealerships. There are lot of theories for late deliveries of polo but as a consumer I simply cant wait for more than 3 weeks, ironically I am waiting for polo for 2 months now, cant help it.

VW diesel engine is a completely new unit and would be offered in Europe too. Being a completely new engine can explain some part of delays. In case of Ford it was more easier, they just had to pickup their existing ageing engine and pluck it in Figo
Old 13th April 2010, 17:29   #177
BHPian

Quote:
I voted for Polo and even booked one My priorities were as follows,
- good looks
- snob value
- good FE
- ride and handling should be above average
- elegant and practical interiors
- should have decent acceleration
- boot space
- 2-tone beige interiors
- space in front and decent space at rear
Excellent choice, given your requirements & priorities as listed above. I love the Polo looks. And read the Volkswagen of India ad end-to-end when it appeared. That was a masterstroke. Fortunately, Ford had a legup in this regard, in that they are better known in India, being present here for last 15-or-so years..and they thought money would be well-spent on a more practical gimmick, like opening of 28-dealerships in a single day. The media hype will automatically follow.

Seems like Polo is "made to order" for you

OR

Is it that the order of your priorities were listed after seeing the Polo..seems to sync to the T with what Polo has to offer. Coincidental maybe, but I am a little suprised to see ride quality, handling & acceleration getting the step-motherly treatment in the priority list. If I own the roads I drive upon, maybe I would also do the same

From what I see in your profile, you are currently having a Honda City. Clearly you have a fetish for perceived badge value

Don't count on the snob value, though....

Red will not turn green automatically.
A Nano in front will not give Polo the right of way.
Will still need to queue, like an obedient school kid, behind the trucks/cabs to pay the toll taxes.
Those 2/3 wheelers will not be mesmerised by the badge and will definitely not mind kissing those bumpers.
And god forbid, if one is involved in an accident, one would wish the badge would somehow become invisible (public ire is directly porportional to the snob/badge value or whatever that is)
Most of the people out there will continue to be confused between Volkswagen/Folkswagen.

BTW, last I heard, hatches, in India for the time being, are still not associated generally with snob value...though I personally have nothing against hatches, and think they are excellent proposition for city commuting compared to sedans. Hope VW will change this attitude here.

Have'nt taken TD of Polo yet. Plan to take it sometime down the line. But am afraid, if there is any unwritten dresscode required for a TD to be allowed?

In my books, best looking cars avlbl are VW Jetta & Fiat Linea among sedans and VW Polo / Punto among hatches. i20 somehow does not cut much ice with me. Have heard that Polo build quality outlasts the owners.
==========

Personally, voted for the Figo..not that it will be my next car, but becos of "more bang for the buck" kinda thing.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2010 at 10:23. Reason: Strictly no more than 2 smileys per post please. Read our rules
Old 13th April 2010, 18:31   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Excellent choice, given your requirements & priorities as listed above. I love the Polo looks. And read the Volkswagen of India ad end-to-end when it appeared. That was a masterstroke. Fortunately, Ford had a legup in this regard, in that they are better known in India, being present here for last 15-or-so years..and they thought money would be well-spent on a more practical gimmick, like opening of 28-dealerships in a single day. The media hype will automatically follow.

With a leg-up Ford managed only 139 (+28 added recently) dealerships in 15 years in India, I wish they would have used both their legs and efforts to serve customers. VW with 40 dealers and just one product for mass market, game just turned ON

Seems like Polo is "made to order" for you

OR

Is it that the order of your priorities were listed after seeing the Polo..seems to sync to the T with what Polo has to offer. Coincidental maybe, but I am a little suprised to see ride quality, handling & acceleration getting the step-motherly treatment in the priority list. I think you missed these points in my list, they wave handsomely in the list If I own the roads I drive upon, maybe I would also do the same

From what I see in your profile, you are currently having a Honda City. Clearly you have a fetish for perceived badge value

Don't count on the snob value, though....

Red will not turn green automatically.
A Nano in front will not give Polo the right of way.
Will still need to queue, like an obedient school kid, behind the trucks/cabs to pay the toll taxes.
Those 2/3 wheelers will not be mesmerised by the badge and will definitely not mind kissing those bumpers.
And god forbid, if one is involved in an accident, one would wish the badge would somehow become invisible (public ire is directly porportional to the snob/badge value or whatever that is)
its a real pity and we still see expensive cars on Indian roads, I guess people have got used to it and accept it as part of lifestyle

Most of the people out there will continue to be confused between Volkswagen/Folkswagen. maybe one of the reasons VW launched the car firstly for urban public while small towns catch up with the name
IMO figo polo comparison was evident because they got launched during same period and a first for respective companies. So like it or not they will be compared, its a free country, aint it?
Old 13th April 2010, 19:19   #179
Senior - BHPian

Ford fanboys take it lightly.Fact remains Figo petrol is no match for Polo petrol. It may be a different story for diesel though. Please compare Figo with i10 or Ritz.The terms like more bang for buck and all can be used liberally just like the Chinese mobiles now flooding India.
Ford had to wait long 15 years to take Indian market seriously. So give some time to VW also.
i20 interiors are no way pleasing. Showy and pain on the eyes. That is why they have changed over to blue backlit displays.

Last edited by poloman : 13th April 2010 at 19:26.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:57   #180
BHPian

Cool down guys

formel_eins & Amartya,

You both need to cool down first. Otherwise mods may moderate you people.

I just want to comment something on a neutral note (if you find it to be):
1. Looks are an entirely subjective topic (be it in any field, not only cars). So please stop discussing things only based on the looks.
- Ritz wouldn't have been selling at all if people follow my opinion about it. I will not buy it unless offered in less than a lakh (just because of its looks). I even know a friend of mine who is a fan of Ritz's looks (an arrow shaped design according to him)
3. Quality of materials can be discussed. At least, people can vouch for it or not.

Most Viewed