Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 18:12   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The car is being driven by a hot-shot complete idiot, whose expensive car affordability far exceeds his skill and sense to drive it.

One would imagine, they have a deathwish!
How true - not just for the expressway, though!
Old 16th October 2008, 22:03   #32
BHPian

i aquaplaned for about 15 never-ending, heartstopping seconds this August along the Motel stretch in my Swift with sub 10k Michelin Energies. Heavy downpour and ~100 kmph was what i was doing.

I thought the tyres, which typically grip rather well in the dry, would serve me quite well - wrong. Less than 80kmph and all was ok again.
Old 17th October 2008, 09:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
i aquaplaned for about 15 never-ending, heartstopping seconds this August along the Motel stretch in my Swift with sub 10k Michelin Energies. Heavy downpour and ~100 kmph was what i was doing.

I thought the tyres, which typically grip rather well in the dry, would serve me quite well - wrong. Less than 80kmph and all was ok again.
Heavy downpour & still doing 100kmph - maybe that was the problem... and not the tires.
Old 17th October 2008, 10:32   #34
BHPian

One issue that needs to be looked at. Always, but always, before a highway run, make sure your tyres are inflated to at least the recommended pressure. I would suggest inflating them to 2 psi above the recommended pressure.
and this should be done when your tyres are cold, that is, they have been at rest for at least 4 hours or not run more than one km.
This ensures that there is no undue flexing of the soft tyre, which stresses the tyre, leads to heat build-up, and will destroy the tyre eventually. This is one single most common reason for tyre bursts on expressways.

Last edited by filcord : 17th October 2008 at 10:33.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:59   #35
BHPian

safest driving experience

The expressway for me has been the safest driving experience, far more improved than any of the other national highways. It gets a little boring though, There are times when we are slowly ambling along at 80 and there are dudes who overtake us at breakneck speeds, by the time we get to the tool gate we are once again standing shoulder to shoulder. The dudes would have stopped to have some snacks, then tried to overtake and honk they way out of even the smallest of traffic snarls and then stopped again for snacks and make the same time to get to the exit as anyone else.. The only place one must test his car out should be a race course where the potential to kill and maime others is far reduced.

Most Viewed