Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 14:05   #16
BHPian

Thanks for the information. I willl take my car for PUC this weekend.I have a sticker in my santro which say non polluting vehicle,do i need to still get a PUC?
Old 17th March 2010, 14:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info. I had better get the PUC for my 800. It has never gotten one. My Fiesta is brand new. Do I know need a PUC for that too?
Old 17th March 2010, 14:13   #18
BHPian

"Take the 50 rubees" thats what a cop told my dad. He was riding a TVS Victor, Had all the papers (including the emission check papers), but did not pass the emission check due to some reason (bike not serviced for more than 7 months) - Dad just paid 50rs and rode back home.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Thanks for the information. I willl take my car for PUC this weekend.I have a sticker in my santro which say non polluting vehicle,do i need to still get a PUC?
I have seen low emission vehicle, ultro low emission vehicle etc., in other countries. I dont know what they mean by non-polluting vehicle. Can happen only in India I guess.
Yes you need a PUC.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have a doubt. The PUC certificate of my Splendor (issued a couple of days ago) reads as follows:

Regulation Limit - Co (% by Vol) 4.5, Actual 0.48

Regulation limit - HC (PPM) 9000, Actual 120.

Mine is a Feb 2000 model, 81300 KM on the Odo. The test was done while idling, as it has always been. The testing centre is a reputed one where I always go. The values had been more or less similar when I used to test the bike at Bangalore too. Granted, I maintain the bike in mint condition.

My question : Is the bike super efficient, or the guideline values are set absurdly high?

Last edited by Gansan : 17th March 2010 at 14:26.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have a doubt. The PUC certificate of my Splendor (issued a couple of days ago) reads as follows:

Regulation Limit - Co (% by Vol) 4.5, Actual 0.48

Regulation limit - HC (PPM) 9000, Actual 120.

Mine is a Feb 2000 model, 81300 KM on the Odo. The test was done while idling, as it has always been. The testing centre is a reputed one where I always go. The values had been more or less similar when I used to test the bike at Bangalore too. Granted, I maintain the bike in mint condition.

My question : Is the bike super efficient, or the guideline values are set absurdly high?
That's because Hero Honda cares for the environment buddy! Four stroke engines are much less pollutive than two stroke ones. I guess guidelines were set keeping in mind two strokers as well. What really surprised me was that the level of pollution from my Maruti 800 was much lesser than the Splendor I had.

Last edited by longhorn : 17th March 2010 at 14:34.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Alright ! Now with this thing coming up am sure the emission control check centres would be making lots of money with motorists making bee-lines. Can anyone point towards one centre around the Anna Nagar/Mogappair area?
Have this now on my to-do list for this week.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Seeing some of the comments here I am really surprised that there are Vehicles in one of the 4 metros we have in India that never got tested for PUC till date.

In Bangalore if they catch you for any offense they check all the documents including PUC and each missing document costs 300 -400 Rs in fine and if you are not carrying any documents be prepared to shell out bug amount.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

@amitk26

This is the first time, to my knowledge, that such a drive has been taken up in Chennai. Whereas in Bangalore, this has been going on right from 2002 - 03. So whoever was taking a PUC certificate in Chennai all these years have been doing so merely voluntarily. There just was no enforcement.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

people with FFE's better stay home in chennai for a few days
Old 17th March 2010, 16:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
was not wearing a helmet, so had to pay 100 jus for the helmet and they let me pass with a computerized fine challan.
hye buddy, i hope you realise the importance of wearing the helmet. The roads have become not safe for any wheeler and 2-wheeler without helmet on the kottupuram road is very dangerous. Better safe than sorry. Please start using helmet.

Btw, what is the validity of the challan, how many days does it entitle to travel without helmet?

Edit: i think for the non-polluting cars the emission certificate validity is for a year or two from delivery date

@Gansan: When it was first launched, the cops were insisting on the emission certificate and you had to pay good fine/bribe if not available. Guess it got slowly diluted and forgotten over the years

Last edited by ikoneer : 17th March 2010 at 16:38.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
@Gansan: When it was first launched, the cops were insisting on the emission certificate and you had to pay good fine/bribe if not available. Guess it got slowly diluted and forgotten over the years
Perhaps! During the initial years of the scheme (2000 - 05) I was at Bangalore. There PUC was mandatory and roadside checks were common right from 2003. But I was a frequent visitor here and rode around on my brother/BIL's bikes. I was never stopped anywhere and those fellows are going to take a PUC for the first time now! I was doing PUC on a regular basis even after my return from B'lore, and I was laughed at for wasting money!
Old 17th March 2010, 17:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Seeing some of the comments here I am really surprised that there are Vehicles in one of the 4 metros we have in India that never got tested for PUC till date.
what is the guarantee that a vehicle which gets a PUC and later uses adultered fuel or oil will not pollute?

Don't you think getting a PUC is just another useless paperwork when vehicles are optimised for lesser pollution at the manufacturers end itself. (bharat III,IV etc)

I don't think any of the 2 wheelers manufactured after 2000 will fail in a pollution test even if not maintained properly.
Maybe cars will fail. But the traffic cops never catch cars. It is only the 2 wheeler drivers who are harrased.

Maybe taking into account all these factors the Chennai cops are not insisting on a PUC and are checking "on the spot" for levels of pollution, which is the correct thing rather than asking for PUC.

Last edited by Daewood : 17th March 2010 at 17:09.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

It is also possible to doctor the PUC Certificate. Many of them have a Template where they input values and Print on the PUC Certificate. Voila you have a PUC where it is mentioned your vehicle is under control.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
It is also possible to doctor the PUC Certificate. Many of them have a Template where they input values and Print on the PUC Certificate. Voila you have a PUC where it is mentioned your vehicle is under control.
But you will be caught out during spot checks and fined all the same, PUC certificate or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks