Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 12:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pollution Check in Chennai - Alert

All,

There are pollution checks in all areas in Chennai. there was a note in Times of India that there will be pollution checks from today as there are less that 2% vehicles with a emission certificate.

I get dropped to work by company Sumo and We just got pulled over at Cenotaph Road junction @ Lanson Toyota / Dhabba Express.

The cop asked the driver to stop the vehicle and asked the driver to get down. He pressed the accelarator pedal and an inspector standing by was observing the smoke from the vehicle. Then he checked the License of the Driver and let him go. Surprisingly he did not ask for an Emission Certificate.

Please be careful on this stretch. Please post other areas where this checking is happenning. It is recommended to have an emission certificate for both 2W & 4W.
Old 17th March 2010, 12:40   #2
BHPian

Yes. I was stopped on my activa. They were equipped with emission test machine in a Balero. Was tested and I passed apparently, was not wearing a helmet, so had to pay 100 jus for the helmet and they let me pass with a computerized fine challan. Felt kinda cool . I noticed that they tend to stop Sumo, Activa and Auto the most. Maybe they find these vehicles the most polluting.

btw, Was stopped and checked near Adyar Telephone Exchange signal.
Old 17th March 2010, 12:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another unit at Nelson Manickam Road junction near Ampa Mall. They are stopping vehicles that turn left from Nelson Manickam road towards Koyambedu / Anna nagar at the Ampa Skywalk mall junction

Archish,
Did they ask you a PUC Certificate ? Do they still check with their equiment even if we have a valid PUC ?

Last edited by Dippy : 17th March 2010 at 22:49. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 17th March 2010, 12:49   #4
BHPian

I think, Iam in for it
An AP registeration with no NOC and no emission certificate. Bling for the cops. Need to get one certified for my 2 wheelers.

Does new cars need emission certificate too?.. If not, when is it suitable to get one?
Old 17th March 2010, 12:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good that you guys warned; I was actually planning to increase the oil mixture for sticking more carbon on the piston rings, I guess I'll drop the plan for now. If they don't insist for PUC certificate then I'm OK; I'm sure my RX will anyday pass the emission standards
Old 17th March 2010, 12:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Funnyguru - New cars dont need an emission for one year as per the law. It is always better to carry a PUC Certificate. It costs less than Rs 50/- at an authorized Center. When i got my Santro in 2007, i immediately took a PUC just to be on the safer side.

When asked for PUC it is better to show the PUC and walk off rather than arguing around about the rule that new cars dont require one.
Old 17th March 2010, 12:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Archish,
Did they ask you a PUC Certificate ? Do they still check with their equiment even if we have a valid PUC ?
No, they dint ask for PUC.They ask for License, RC Book, Insurance. Then they do the test. If u pass the test and have all of these above papers, they let u go without any fine. If u dont pass the test, the SI gives you a friendly speech about how to maintain the vehicle and 100 Rs. Fine. I was suprised at how friendly these policemen were. Since i dint have the 100 bucks fine with me at that time, i had called my office mates to bring the money. While i was waiting, i noticed that these ppl were really soft, and also one of policeman was talking to me about my business and how it was going.

Last edited by Archish : 17th March 2010 at 12:59.
Archish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2010, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why an Alert? You should be fined if you are not complying with the rules.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you - Must not have been an alert. What i meant by alert was an awareness and be prepared mentally. I agree that polluting vehicles must not only be just fined but seized.

The Exact rule is not documented anywhere. Example New cars dont need a PUC for one year. I was stopped and demanded a PUC when i bought my car. I luckily had a PUC for "Just in Case" purpose and i was saved. I really do not have the time energy and bandwidth to argue with police on the road.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:33   #10
BHPian

Its nice to see that the Chennai (TN govt) taking such steps. If they do wish to bring pollution underc ontrol, I suggest banning all 2-strokes, especially the autorickshaws. The so called share-autos are even worse. I'm happy with the new passenger buses though, the old smokers are gone
Old 17th March 2010, 13:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
All,

Please be careful on this stretch. Please post other areas where this checking is happenning. It is recommended to have an emission certificate for both 2W & 4W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why an Alert? You should be fined if you are not complying with the rules.
Exactly.

scopriobharath - It sounds like you are trying to warn dirty/polluting vehicle owners not to travel on this road (even though you may not have intended to)

I hope we understand that it is the same air we are breathing.

Black smoke owners should be penalized! I want to see blue skies, not grey skies
Old 17th March 2010, 13:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
If u dont pass the test, the SI gives you a friendly speech about how to maintain the vehicle and 100 Rs. Fine. I was suprised at how friendly these policemen were. Since i dint have the 100 bucks fine with me at that time, i had called my office mates to bring the money. While i was waiting, i noticed that these ppl were really soft, and also one of policeman was talking to me about my business and how it was going.
- Now a days I see lots of change with the cops; the cop who came to my house for passport verification was very soft; when I made an FIR for an accident case, that SI was (atleast) gem & had patience to tell me how FIR works & how the case will progress & how RTO approves & followed up with me & handed over the FIR copy; I think its based on how well you look; for someone travelling by M80 with shabby looks, may be we see his other side; even last weekend when I called up 100 the cops were listening patiently & were helpful.

Any idea what was the fine amount for not passing the test?
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2010, 13:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

It is no use posting the check locations. It will be random, as they will bring mobile equipment.

I too saw the news item in TOI and renewed my bike's PUC certificate that had lapsed a couple of months ago. My car is less than one year old, so I guess it should be OK.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Any idea what was the fine amount for not passing the test?
100 Roobees. As my niece would put it
Old 17th March 2010, 14:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative by Chennai Police , Really a refreshing and welcome change in Chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks