Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 18:31   #1
BHPian

Its Official, Suzuki won't build Nano rival, says Osamu Suzuki : Autocar.co.uk

Suzuki won't build Nano rival - Autocar.co.uk

Quote:
Suzuki isn’t going to launch a cheap car to battle the Tata Nano in developing countries, despite facing a grave threat in one of its best-performing markets.

The Nano will undercut the many models offered in India by Suzuki and its partner Maruti, who together control more than 50 per cent of the market.

But company boss Osamu Suzuki says a car cheaper than its current models “wouldn’t be a car any more”.

Suzuki is worried about watering down safety and comfort standards in a super-cheap model. Even details like switching to a cost-saving single windscreen wiper will erode those standards, the Japanese company reckons.
Old 17th March 2010, 22:33   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
Nano is a unique product as of now. I always thought Suzuki is not going to do it. It's not very easy for any company to compete with it. Also once the diesel nano is released it will also impact sales of Alto. If at all any company has the potential to compete with Nano it should be Bajaj Auto, TVS or a Chinese company for now.
Old 17th March 2010, 22:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
What a joke as if Alto , Maruti 800 or any other sub 4lakh car from Suzuki is any safer. They have not even tried any crash testing.

"Suzuki is worried about watering down safety and comfort standards in a super-cheap model. Even details like switching to a cost-saving single windscreen wiper will erode those standards, the Japanese company reckons."

A clear case of sore grapes
Old 17th March 2010, 23:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What a joke as if Alto , Maruti 800 or any other sub 4lakh car from Suzuki is any safer. They have not even tried any crash testing.

I perfectly value the opinion expressed, but nevertheless, you may want to take a look @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...6-seconds.html

I am not intending to say, missing safety is "good" but it is more a cost-benefit-value proposition which maruti does pretty well to give cars that appeal to "aam aadmi" but not to car buff / offroadie / enthusiast. Well again, it is IMHO.
Old 18th March 2010, 00:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:

"Suzuki is worried about watering down safety and comfort standards in a super-cheap model. Even details like switching to a cost-saving single windscreen wiper will erode those standards, the Japanese company reckons."

Totally Agree. Suzuki's were never known to be safe.
Old 18th March 2010, 01:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:

+1 to that. Suzuki never thought of producing safe vehicles in India prior to the competition hotting up and forcing them to do so. They were here for more than 20 years before they started offering the safety features that they offer as standard in their European models.
Old 18th March 2010, 05:40   #7
BHPian

Isn't this the same guy who said a 1 lakh car will be impossible to make? Case of sour grapes indeed. As for safety, I would prefer to be in a Nano than a M800 in the event of a crash.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:19   #8
BHPian

I agree with everybody too. Suzuki cannot even dream of passing the crash tests with a 27 year old design like the M800 and even the Alto for that matter (I even doubt the Estilo and WagonR). Osamu Suzuki passed on comments like - It will be 2 bikes joined together/it will be a quadricycle. Well, after the Nano was launched, Osamu had to obviously shut himself up.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But company boss Osamu Suzuki says a car cheaper than its current models “wouldn’t be a car any more”.

Suzuki is worried about watering down safety and comfort standards in a super-cheap model. Even details like switching to a cost-saving single windscreen wiper will erode those standards, the Japanese company reckons.
Best example of corporate lying-thru-the-teeth if I ever saw one. From the company that gave India the "safe" and "conscientious" cars in Maruti Omni and Maruti 800, now comes the moral talk of safe cars.

Its not because they wont, its because they cant.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Best example of corporate lying-thru-the-teeth if I ever saw one. From the company that gave India the "safe" and "conscientious" cars in Maruti Omni and Maruti 800, now comes the moral talk of safe cars.

Its not because they wont, its because they cant.
He can continue lying to western press because they dont know what kind of cars he is offering in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_carLover View Post
I perfectly value the opinion expressed, but nevertheless, you may want to take a look @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...6-seconds.html

I am not intending to say, missing safety is "good" but it is more a cost-benefit-value proposition which maruti does pretty well to give cars that appeal to "aam aadmi" but not to car buff / offroadie / enthusiast. Well again, it is IMHO.
Well Aam aadmi also deserves to be alive in case of crash. If Tata did some innovations to pass NCAP crash test in budget that is laudable effort and point of the thread is why Mr. Osamu Suzuki has to disparage this effort by lying.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would like to think that what the guy said was you cannot develop a car NOW (since the cars being referred above are really old designs) with looking into safety aspects.
Do you think A-star and Ritz are unsafe?
Old 18th March 2010, 14:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

This guy first said that it is not possible for Tata to develop the Nano. Then later he said that if Tata manages to do it, Maruti will easily develop one too. And now he's saying he won't develop one because of safety reasons? Just admit you can't develop one, Mr Suzuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I would like to think that what the guy said was you cannot develop a car NOW (since the cars being referred above are really old designs) with looking into safety aspects.
Do you think A-star and Ritz are unsafe?
This is a company that does not give airbags in a hot hatch like the Swift DDiS, but they will show it doing crazy stunts in ads.

Last edited by Gilead : 18th March 2010 at 14:55.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:13   #13
BHPian

Maybe Mr Suzuki is still deluding himself that the Nano is really not a car. I wonder about these remarks coming from Mr Suzuki, head of a company that put India on wheels. My guess is that somewhere in the late '90s maruti suzuki got overconfident about their market presence in India. So overconfident that they forgot their own hassles in promoting and succeeding with the M-800, called 'dabba' at its launch. It's no surprise that apart from an occasional Swift, they produce dated designs with cheap plastics and lack of safety features. My take is that if they don't choose to even compete with the Nano, it's going to be a serious battle for No. 1 car seller in India between MS and Tata.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 18th March 2010 at 17:14.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:40   #14
BHPian

In another thread we had a news that Suzki Cervo is going to be launched at 1.5L to take on the Nano and now we have a denial from Mr. Suzuki.

is Suzuki downplaying the Cervo launch or have they decided not to launch Cervo in India as it might affect their 800 and Alto sales?
Old 18th March 2010, 17:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

One thing I am happy about is they will not fight on the rates. I think Maruti has lot more thing's to do (creatively) they better be doing that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks