Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 19:39   #16
BHPian

Suzuki cheating Indians

Suzuki has been "cheating" Indians for long.They have been promising that A star and many other models were built for India specifically.The fact is they have succeeded in fooling us by selling matchbox size models. I think they have not seen Indians,least to talk about Indian Families. The matchbox models are all built for the short Japanese or for countries where people rarely have families(only couples). The so called Suzuki 4 seater cars sold in Europe suddenly become 5 seater models in India with no change in any dimensions.Although Hyundai too does the same with Santro but at least they have not been fooling us by sayin that the cars they design are specifically designed for India. Hyundai and many other brands have quite high build quality as compared to Suzuki cars.The most advertised auto brand on TV is Suzuki as compared to other models. Constant hammering onto Indian consumers is I think how they are fooling Indian consumers with there not so competent cars (compared to the competition). Maruti said that they do not sell engines but cars (swift diesel-when asked about Tata getting access to the same Fiat MJD engine).But I feel they sell cars where there is no space left except to sit on the engine..
Old 18th March 2010, 19:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
I wonder about these remarks coming from Mr Suzuki, head of a company that put India on wheels.
And the head of a company which has taken Indians for a ride also
Suzuki taking about safety, that's something new. The 800 and Omni are examples and the much touted Baleno has a 1.5 star rating (no offence meant to Baleno owners) (link: Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Suzuki Baleno) when the Daewoo Lanos (mind you, it's Korean and Koreans don't know how to make good cars, right?) managed to fare better with 2.5 stars.
Even today, the A-Star (aka the Alto) managed to be at the bottom of the safety list.
As many others mentioned, it's a case of sour grapes indeed. First you tell that it's impossible, then you tell that they compromise on safety and now what? Come on Suzuki, grow up!

Last edited by A350XWB : 18th March 2010 at 20:03.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
In another thread we had a news that Suzki Cervo is going to be launched at 1.5L to take on the Nano and now we have a denial from Mr. Suzuki.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post

is Suzuki downplaying the Cervo launch or have they decided not to launch Cervo in India as it might affect their 800 and Alto sales?
First of all, Suzuki never made any statement that it will launch Cervo in India for 1.5L. It was only speculation by Indian media.

800 is almost dead. Let's see how Alto sales go after diesel Nano is launched.

It's not easy to compete with Tata on VFM.

Last edited by airbender : 18th March 2010 at 20:08. Reason: edit
Old 19th March 2010, 11:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
The matchbox models are all built for the short Japanese or for countries where people rarely have families(only couples). The so called Suzuki 4 seater cars sold in Europe suddenly become 5 seater models in India with no change in any dimensions.
According to wikipedia Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Average Indian Height:
Male- 1.612 m (5 ft 3+1⁄2 in), Female- 1.521 m (4 ft 12 in)

Average Japanese Height:
Male- 1.715 m (5 ft 7+1⁄2 in), Female- 1.580 m (5 ft 2 in)
Don't kill the messenger, this info was surprising even to me as I read it the first time.

Europeans surely are broader in build than Indians so it stands to reason that a 4 seater of European spec can accommodate (not very comfortably though) 5 in India. Big deal anyway since we regularly see 3 full bodied (widthwise hehe) Indians stuffed in Auto rickshaws here.

I think that if there is a company in the world (apart from Tata) that can manufacture a 1 L car and still make a profit, it's Maruti Suzuki. They didn't/ won't think to do it simply because it threatens their small cars in 2-3 L range. But now with Tata in the game, they better wake up or it will really become sour grapes that once were so sweet with a monopoly over the small car market.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 19th March 2010 at 11:44.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Suzuki has been "cheating" Indians for long.
Nobody can cheat anybody for so long.

It would be apt to say they have understood the requirements of the majority of people here, and offering what they need.
That is why they are sucessfull in India.

Majority of maruti small car buyers need a car that is like a 100cc bike, easy to maintain and drive and protects them from rain and sunlight.
Space or ride quality or interior plastics aren't a priority for them.
It is this hassle free experience that has made maruti so sucessfull.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:47   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

They Can't - So they won't - Sour grapes.

Their cars in India like M800 & Alto are not as safe as the Nano. They are fooling the world with this comment but not Indians - their biggest market today.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
I wonder about these remarks coming from Mr Suzuki, head of a company that put India on wheels.
M800 might have put India on wheels but it had less to do with Suzuki than the Indian govt policies. People in other developing countries like Thailand etc wont touch a Suzuki with a bargepole and they have only limited success outside of India and Japan.

Its not like they did India a favour by coming here, OTOH it was India that did them a favour by giving them virtual monopoly rights under the license Raj. And even if people are happy with Maruti cars or service, its not like they are doing social service for us here, they are here purely for making a profit.

So I can understand nostalgia towards ones earlier Suzuki car, but I have always wondered at the logic of so many people who feel indebted to Suzuki for "revolutionizing the Indian car market" or whatever. And I am tired of this constant patronizing crap from Suzuki. That Osamu guy is already old and senile and should retire...the world has moved on from the 60s.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

As others pointed this is coming from the makers of feature rich - safest cars like M800, Alto and famous OMNI. Nano is unique in all aspect, love to see diesel nano taking Alto head on.

When it comes to VFM I dont think anyone can beat Tata.period.

Say 'we cannot make nano competitor', grow up!!
Old 19th March 2010, 13:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
M800 might have put India on wheels but it had less to do with Suzuki than the Indian govt policies. People in other developing countries like Thailand etc wont touch a Suzuki with a bargepole and they have only limited success outside of India and Japan.

Its not like they did India a favour by coming here, OTOH it was India that did them a favour by giving them virtual monopoly rights under the license Raj. And even if people are happy with Maruti cars or service, its not like they are doing social service for us here, they are here purely for making a profit.

So I can understand nostalgia towards ones earlier Suzuki car, but I have always wondered at the logic of so many people who feel indebted to Suzuki for "revolutionizing the Indian car market" or whatever. And I am tired of this constant patronizing crap from Suzuki. That Osamu guy is already old and senile and should retire...the world has moved on from the 60s.
The Indian Govt went around carrying our market in a platter, begging one reputed car maker after another to accept it! Suzuki was way down the pecking order, after everyone else turned up their noses on the offer! At least credit them for believing in the Indian market and setting up shop here. They are reaping the rewards of that early mover advantage, and everyone else is crying sour grapes! Sure, their market share will come down and things will change, but not in a hurry.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The Indian Govt went around carrying our market in a platter, begging one reputed car maker after another to accept it! Suzuki was way down the pecking order, after everyone else turned up their noses on the offer! At least credit them for believing in the Indian market and setting up shop here. They are reaping the rewards of that early mover advantage, and everyone else is crying sour grapes! Sure, their market share will come down and things will change, but not in a hurry.
The whole point is there was no need for Indian government to put conditions or even beg anyone , If they would have made it level playing field and open for all so many players would have come just like earlier in Thailand and post 1998 in India.

They are reaping reward of being the only chosen one by son of then PM of India who was not holding any public office at that time , In free world this is known as nepotism
Old 19th March 2010, 18:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The Indian govt did not need to beg anyone to sell cars or set up shop in India, lots of people would have set up facilities if they had just been allowed. The only thing that people car makers were reluctant to join was the pet project of some questionable political figure. And at the end of the day, they accepted not out of some deep seated desire to help India, but only because they saw nice fat profits ahead as a monopoly, and quite rightly too, since they have re-couped their investment many times over and perhaps wouldn't even have survived without the Indian market. The boundless gratitude from legions of Maruti fanboys is just a bonus.
Old 19th March 2010, 18:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have the history of Maruti completely wrong. The Indian govt did not beg anyone. In fact VW was the first choice before they decided to pull out due to a certain former PM's son's demands. The govt could have just opened up the car industry to investments, but nope, the son had to have his way.

The early mover advantage was nothing but a monopoly. Anyway I am not here to criticize Maruti's cars. They make decent enough cars at their price points, BUT, Osamu should not be disparaging a rival on SAFETY issues when his own company makes some of the most unsafe cars on our roads. I would not have cared if he criticized Tata on quality issues. If I am sure a person of his stature can definitely see a time when the Nano will displace his company from top of the monopoly derived pecking order.anyone has got a case of sour grapes here, it is Osamu.

This is from a 2007 article

Quote:
During a visit to India last week, Suzuki Motor Chairman Osamu Suzuki expressed skepticism that an auto manufacturer could produce a vehicle at the selling price promised by Tata.
Here is another one.

Quote:
Japanese auto giant Suzuki, which makes the ubiquitous Maruti 800, also spoke out with derision. "What is it going to be? A three-wheeler with a stepney?" Suzuki's Founder Chairman Osamu Suzuki had quipped when Tata announced the project. In February 2006, Suzuki again took a shot, saying that it was impossible to make a reliable car for Rs 1 lakh.
Now that Tata has actually made the car and selling it, the old man can't bear it.

Last edited by Gilead : 19th March 2010 at 18:21.
Old 19th March 2010, 20:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
You have the history of Maruti completely wrong. The Indian govt did not beg anyone. In fact VW was the first choice before they decided to pull out due to a certain former PM's son's demands. The govt could have just opened up the car industry to investments, but nope, the son had to have his way.
Could not have summarized it better. Many people don't know anything about the true history of Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Now that Tata has actually made the car and selling it, the old man can't bear it.
This is exactly what it is. But I really don't give any value to what officials at Suzuki say. Afterall, they were the ones who told once, that "Diesel is a dirty fuel and we will not use it ever in our passenger cars" and aren't they doing it now?
Old 19th March 2010, 20:31   #29
BHPian

I think it is high time Suzuki acknowledge the fact that Tata has kept its promise of a one lakh car and give them due credit. They're panicking at the moment. The sheer fear of Tata taking over the market is forcing them to make such statements. Suzuki should concentrate on making their existing line-up better rather than running their mouth.
Old 19th March 2010, 20:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Suzuki has been "cheating" Indians for long.
By your standard all bike manufacturers are cheating us from ages.

Most Viewed