Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 20:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Logan will not die; Cheaper, shorter, improved Logan expected

Renault Logan may finally be tweaked to Indian specifications

A “shortened” version of the car is ready for internal evaluation (The Logan measures 4.2m and the shortened version is less than 4m long, qualifying it for the lowest excise slab of 10%.).

Issues such as the wiper being on the wrong side for a right-hand drive vehicle and pricing (between Rs4.2 lakh and Rs7 lakh), which have caused sales to falter, are likely to be addressed now.

Carlos Ghosn, chairman and chief executive of Renault and Nissan: Looking at how to reposition this car... the Logan will stay in this market.

Full article: Renault set to tweak Logan, finally - dnaindia.com

@ mods: There are lots of thread on the speculation on the end of MRPL. I started a new thread because this specifically talks about the improved Logan, which is not being talked about in any other thread.

Addition: An article in Car India's March Issue suggests that Renault is considering converting the Logan into a notchback to reduce the size of the car. It will then have to shift the production from M&M's facility to its own plant in Chennai.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 17th March 2010 at 21:16.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:36   #2
BHPian

Renault seems to be hell bent on continuing the multiple JVs they have started -

//online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704743404575127192560760062.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

The sooner they sort it out, better for them. Anyway a much cheapo logan may simply work for M&M JV. If your JV is having one single product and watch it going the way Logan has gone should be real bad.

Good for consumers, especially taxi owners. Fiats of Mumbai and ambys of Kolkata, make way for this one.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think notchback will be good for the taxi market. Best way is to emulate indigo cs.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why go through all this... just launch the Sandero instead!
Old 17th March 2010, 22:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I don't think notchback will be good for the taxi market. Best way is to emulate indigo cs.
Why?

Notchback's typically have much more boot space than conventional sedans! Take a look at skoda laura and you'll know what I mean!
Old 17th March 2010, 22:12   #6
BHPian

Reduction in size, thats it? No facelift?
Old 17th March 2010, 23:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Give me a hammer and I ll make the logan look better!!

They should really facelife the logan if they want the car to sell..
Old 18th March 2010, 09:46   #8
BHPian

The shortened version will not see the light of day as it requires extensive modifications that call for additional investment. Instead, they might as well bring in the Sandero. MRPL are looking at stripping the features and opening up for the Taxi market. They are evaluating the facelifted model too I guess. The final announcement, as we all know will come soon.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Renault Nissan is up & running in Orgadam, Chennai. Hope they shift their business to just one JV for easier identification in the market.
Old 18th March 2010, 09:58   #10
BHPian

I read the article in Car India
and if they launch it in notch back option they will lose their taxi clients
but Logan will remain a also ran with the options available

agreed
they are putting too many cooks to cook one dish
it would be helpful if they start on their own or concentrate on one collabarator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Renault seems to be hell bent on continuing the multiple JVs they have started -

//online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704743404575127192560760062.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

The sooner they sort it out, better for them. Anyway a much cheapo logan may simply work for M&M JV. If your JV is having one single product and watch it going the way Logan has gone should be real bad.

Good for consumers, especially taxi owners. Fiats of Mumbai and ambys of Kolkata, make way for this one.
Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 18th March 2010 at 10:48. Reason: See the note in your post.
Old 18th March 2010, 10:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Issues such as the wiper being on the wrong side for a right-hand drive vehicle and pricing (between Rs4.2 lakh and Rs7 lakh), which have caused sales to falter, are likely to be addressed now.
Addressed now!! Wow! Thats a first. And if this is from an M&M or their JV exec then its probably the first time they have spoken about sales to falter or any sales failures for that matter. Like earlier it was any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Give me a hammer and I ll make the logan look better!!

They should really facelife the logan if they want the car to sell..
, but the looks were not the primary problem in the first place. IMO looks are subjective plus it had and has pretty decent looks. If they price it correctly we might see some sales, but I sencerely hope its not too late in the game. I really don't see the point in not accepting the pricing mistake earlier and making changes when it late in the game.
Well, lets see how this move turns up. Personally, I'm not that optimistic.
Old 18th March 2010, 10:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Addressed now!! Wow! Thats a first. And if this is from an M&M or their JV exec then its probably the first time they have spoken about sales to falter or any sales failures for that matter. Like earlier it was any better.
No, this is what the author of the article saying.
Old 18th March 2010, 10:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

BSM reports otherwise

It seems that BSM seems to be reporting something else.

Issues with M&M over Logan yet to be sorted: Ghosn
Old 18th March 2010, 12:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ok First Indigo CS and now Logan whatever, something similar will be offered i think ....

Old 18th March 2010, 12:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

@agspins, thanks for those images, but are those pics real or just some PS to get a feel of what Renault are talking about ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed