Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 10:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

What's that 16 seconds? Is it that it takes 16 seconds for Maruti-Suzuki to make any Maruti car or the least amount of time to make a specific model of a car?
Old 19th March 2010, 11:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What's that 16 seconds? Is it that it takes 16 seconds for Maruti-Suzuki to make any Maruti car or the least amount of time to make a specific model of a car?
My guess is that a car rolls out of the assembly line every 16s. 10 years ago when I used to work for MUL a car used to roll out every 2 mins. From there to now, MSIL has come a long way.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
My guess is that a car rolls out of the assembly line every 16s. 10 years ago when I used to work for MUL a car used to roll out every 2 mins. From there to now, MSIL has come a long way.
Assuming the production plant runs 24X7 for 365 days; one car in 16 seconds makes 1,971,000 new cars a year ; Is this right?
Old 19th March 2010, 12:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Assuming the production plant runs 24X7 for 365 days; one car in 16 seconds makes 1,971,000 new cars a year ; Is this right?
The Assy lines run on 2 shifts and for 300 Days (excluding Sundays and some holidays - atleast that is what it use to do 10 years ago. I don't know if now they are assembling 24x7). That means 16 hrs a day for 300 days which is amounting close to 1.1 Mn. This year MSIL may end up touching 1 Mn in Sales as well including exports.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
I didnt understand what you meant
The status of Maruti's sales and market share will be known once we get the results for this financial year ending March 2011.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti now needs to heavily focus on internal R&D. Lets have some innovation in electric / fuel cell powerplants, small capacity turbo-charged petrols (an emerging trend), safety features & initiatives, cutting edge automatic transmissions, next gen traction control systems and the like. Maruti has 3 times the market share of Tata in passenger cars, yet it is the latter who we see investing in new technologies (and learning along the way).
Maruti has improved on certain matters but I expect a lot from them now since Suzuki has majority control over MSIL. I simply can't understand why they shy away from innovating, seems they're contented with the cash registers rolling and feel no need for improvements. They talk of Kaizen but don't practice it to the level the market wants them to.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I've been to Hero Honda's Gurgaon plant and I was told about this Timing technique.

In Hero Honda, they take 18 Seconds to assemble an average bike. They've 3 Assembly Lines each at Gurgaon, Dharuhera (Near Gurgaon) and Haridwar making it total of 9 Assembly Lines. Hence, if we divide time taken to assemble an average bike (18 seconds) by Number of Assembly Lines (9), we get 2 Seconds and as per this method Hero Honda produces one bike in 2 seconds. For them, they make a dream come true in 2 seconds. Similar maybe the case with Maruti Suzuki.

Last edited by tsk13 : 19th March 2010 at 15:34.
Old 19th March 2010, 23:03   #22
BHPian

The piece of mind that Maruti offers is actually amazing, I have 3 Maruti Service stations within an 8 km radius of my house.

As far as innovation & safety are concerned, they were the first ones to offer ABS + EBD and Airbags in the sub 6 lakh rupee segment (Swift). They still offer the most bang for the buck. For me, India does come home in a Maruti
Old 19th March 2010, 23:15   #23
BHPian

figures don't matter

Whatever amount of cars they roll out, it is high time Maruti start providing useful features in their cars, better build quality and prevent annoying rattles from the car.

With the hatchback segment hotting up, It would be interesting to see where they stand at the end of this year.
Old 19th March 2010, 23:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The piece of mind that Maruti offers is actually amazing, I have 3 Maruti Service stations within an 8 km radius of my house.

As far as innovation & safety are concerned, they were the first ones to offer ABS + EBD and Airbags in the sub 6 lakh rupee segment (Swift). They still offer the most bang for the buck. For me, India does come home in a Maruti
Now I understand the reason behind your absence from TBHP. You had so much of fun with Doc that you lost all Peace in your life and now Maruti gives you a Piece of their mind.

You remove the door panels of a Swift once and re-fix them then let us know how much headache a Maruti can be in some cases.

Since the time I was bitten by the Ubercool bug (i20), that's the benchmark for me. Maruti is far behind when it comes to features now. They're so content with the huge demand for Dzires and Swifts that they forgot Kaizen.

Hyundai has proven its mettle in our nation and I admire Hyundai more than any other mass market brand. By the way check out the new Sonata, it's simply Superb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Whatever amount of cars they roll out, it is high time Maruti start providing useful features in their cars, better build quality and prevent annoying rattles from the car.

With the hatchback segment hotting up, It would be interesting to see where they stand at the end of this year.

Last edited by tsk13 : 19th March 2010 at 23:55.
Old 20th March 2010, 10:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
It means on an average 4 cars roll out of the maruti factories every minute.

The brochure clearly mentions that, and it also says the average time required to make a car in their plant is 12 hours.
Old 20th March 2010, 13:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

They surely have come a long way. When we bought our M800 in '85, there was not even 1 dealer per state (IIRC, 18 or so for all of India). We took an overnight bus to take delivery of the car from the dealer at Gauhati (the only dealer for all of Assam).

With the Swift, we are on our 5th Suzuki and today they are present in every small town of the country - providing both sales and service. India surely comes home in a Maruti.

But like many mentioned here, with newer entrants in the market, they really need to pull their socks up if they want to remain in the reckoning and wanna keep making dreams come true.
Old 20th March 2010, 20:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki needs to be more Proactive. Everyone can be reactive but the proactive capitalises on being the first mover. Take i20 for this case.
Old 20th March 2010, 21:07   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Maruti has improved on certain matters but I expect a lot from them now since Suzuki has majority control over MSIL.
What we have to realise is, Suzuki itself (just like Mitsubishi) simply does NOT have the resources to sustain huge R&D activities. Think about it : Toyota, Honda and even a bankrupt GM have hybrid vehicles. It's been over 10 years since they appeared on the scene, and their acceptance in North America (and other markets) is a well-known fact. Where are the Suzuki hybrids? This is a technology that is so "yesterday" already.
Old 20th March 2010, 22:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What we have to realise is, Suzuki itself (just like Mitsubishi) simply does NOT have the resources to sustain huge R&D activities. Think about it : Toyota, Honda and even a bankrupt GM have hybrid vehicles. It's been over 10 years since they appeared on the scene, and their acceptance in North America (and other markets) is a well-known fact. Where are the Suzuki hybrids? This is a technology that is so "yesterday" already.
Well said GTO. If not technology, atleast on features we can expect MSIL to be proactive.

Moreover, Fiat runs Maruti Suzuki's Diesels. This proves how much Suzuki lags when it comes to technology. Moreover, the K Series engine now seems to be something revolutionary within MSIL even though it may not be something great considering Global developments.
Old 20th March 2010, 22:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post

May be irrelevent on this thread but just a correction a first sub 6 or 5 lakh or first hatch or first mass market with ABS and EBD was Tata Indica Turbo , Sadly it never sold in any numbers and subsequently disappeared from scene.
This was much before Swift was launched , refer to SidIndica's thread fr details on various variants including this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks