Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2005, 17:43   #16
BHPian

hi bala,
i feel the fiat adventure is the one for you. i don't agree with you about the TVS guys at chennai, they are prolly the best service teams fiat has in india (along with the pune's and mumbai's anuroops). so the A.S.S should not be such a big problem, i tried to talk to a couple of palio owners who had come for service (these guys also had marutis).. they seem to agree that maruti's service is a wee bit lesser than the guys at TVS-FIAT.
any ways, if it still does not enthuse you, you could always go in for a marina or a corsa sail, but that would definitely be settling for the second best!!!
its all your say..
once you come down, take a test drive on the adventure. your sure to love it!!!
Old 28th September 2005, 19:08   #17
BHPian

Thanks for all the responses, guys. By the way i got the wrong information on the Baleno Vxi's price. The 5.3 L on road price was for the Lxi.

I am surprised to see so many recommendations for the Chennai service team. The reason i was disappointed because i had a gentleman trying to convince me over an ISD call that the Adventure's braking system was better than the ABS facility offered in Swift Zxi. He then went on to provide more such inane comparisons which led me to believe that he does not know too much about the competing cars at all. And then when i requested him to send a brochure for the Adventure, he sent me a cool image of a Red Adventure and claimed that that was the brochure.

Should we not expect a professional brochure for a 6.5 L car? That made me reconsider my options.

I understand that the Marina is not a scorcher and that i would probably be visible in most rear view mirrors if i chose that! But, i have a feeling that with the right approach you can wring power from that engine. As i said, i am yet to drive the vehicle but i have the feeling that if you keep the engine on the boil, so to say, you could extract the maximum out of it. And figures of 14+ seconds for 0 - 100 km is not bad for a heavy diesel car.

The Baleno Altura is not in production now but even if it was it was beyond my budget. Speaking of above-budget options, if ever there was a car that fit the needs, then it has to be the Skoda Combi. That car is really a package - is smashingly attractive and i am sure it packs a deadly punch. But that should cost at least 15 Lakhs if not more.

So, guys, unless anything earth shaking happens between now and next week, the Tata Indigo Marina LX BS III it is. Thanks for all your advice and comments.

One question - is it possible to modify the seating arrangement in the Marina so that the rear seat is reclinable as well as incorporate the 60:40 rear seat folding mechanism? Can these be done as after market fitments? I would appreciate your thoughts on that.

And if anybody else with a Marina LX is here, i would appreciate their views on the car - performance, quality and utility wise.

Cheers!
Old 28th September 2005, 19:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Bala, check through the What Car and Reviws forum to get reviews on the Indigo Marina. You may not get the performance you want, but I guess you will be a very satisfied customer.
Old 28th September 2005, 19:19   #19
BHPian

I just reread one of the many responses.

I was under the impression that the Corsa Swing is also not in production. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Also i had a gentleman prompting me to quantify my needs. So, here goes:

I need a car which will allow me to overtake on highways - so the meat of the powerband should be between 50 and 100 km per hour.

I need a car which can cater to long travel along with all the luggage items that go with it. Not the least, it must also be able to accomodate a dog at some point in the future.

I need a car which has a low recurring cost monthly - not more than 4000 Rs per month.

High driver visibility (road view) and good ground clearance are a must in Chennai and its suburbs.

A strong suspension is needed which at the same time feels smooth to the family in the back seat, but still does not wallow and roll like a Rhinoceros in the mud, when i am driving alone. (Well, this part may not be satisfied by the Marina, i think!)

Easy serviceability and access to dealerships across the country is an important criterion since the plan is to drive a lot through the length and breadth of Southern India.

And i think thats it at the moment.

Cheers!
Old 28th September 2005, 19:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

best of luck for your new car bud. Tata also makes some good cars and has many good service centers around. Marina is a good buy too. post some pics as soon as you get it.
Old 28th September 2005, 19:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

For your requirements, Indica Marina seems the right choice. It will definitely be cost effective.
Old 28th September 2005, 19:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Indica Marina.
Let me take the pleasure of correcting this one. Indigo Marina!

Quote:
I need a car which will allow me to overtake on highways - so the meat of the powerband should be between 50 and 100 km per hour.
I dont think the Marina would be able to suffice there! Infact i think the Tata Diesels are highly underpowered and people talk about NHC! One major reason for Tata indica/indigo/marina being very fuel efficient is that it really struggles to go over 100kmph!

P.S no offence TATA Owners!
Old 28th September 2005, 19:50   #23
BHPian

Busa,

Do you think even if i downshift to third gear and stay with the turbo, it will be difficult to achieve what i need (50 to 100 in reasonably quick time)? And the quoted top speed for the Marina Diesel is 157 kmph. And i know for a fact that my father drove it 100 kmph and said that the vehicle was coasting along and certainly could do much more than that speed. The only problem according to him was the pickup in the first and second gears.

And i have a feeling that might be because it is not natural to get the engine to above 2500 RPM in the first and second gears. But i do plan to do that when all i need is performance.
Old 28th September 2005, 19:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
all i need is performance
If you need performance you should look no further then the Baleno! Will never cough and will fly in all gears specially 1st and 2nd. Also in 2nd gear will touch 110kmph!
Old 28th September 2005, 20:40   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
If you need performance you should look no further then the Baleno! Will never cough and will fly in all gears specially 1st and 2nd. Also in 2nd gear will touch 110kmph!
But that would cost more than Rs. 4000 a month for his running!

The Indigo Marina TDi is a very practical and sensible choice.
Old 28th September 2005, 20:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Let me take the pleasure of correcting this one. Indigo Marina!

I dont think the Marina would be able to suffice there! Infact i think the Tata Diesels are highly underpowered and people talk about NHC! One major reason for Tata indica/indigo/marina being very fuel efficient is that it really struggles to go over 100kmph!

P.S no offence TATA Owners!
Dude have you driven the new marina tdi? The performance is quite a revelation for a diesel...Its a great mile muncher...feels totally relaxed on the highway...50-100 kph is good even in 5th gear...but prefrebaly 4th. And the ride quality is top notch. Like all its cousins the indica and indigo...it does have some amount of bodyroll...but well within manageable levels.

well bala...i suggest you test drive it and find for yourself...you wouldnt be dissapointed. Me and stratos had test driven the marina tdi sometime back....and im pretty sure you'l like it too. If i was in the market for a station wagon with your requirements...this would have definately been my choice.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 28th September 2005 at 21:00.
Old 28th September 2005, 22:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

@balashome, we own a Tata Indigo 62BHP. The current marina is 70BHP. For the indigo highway overtaking is a breeze and it is a myth that it struggles to reach 100kmph. Such comments will come from people who think all tata vehicles come with indica engine. (53bhp)

For your 4000/mo requirement, you can only have the Indigo marina. With your running the cost of petrol will be huge.

As for overtaking and top speed 130kmph is easy and if you push hard 150 is also doable. The only sluggish part is low end, ie when you start from a traffic light you may feel little sluggish in beginning.
Old 28th September 2005, 22:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Please people commenting on the lack of thrust about the Indigo/Marina going over 100kmph, well please go and drive one soon. It is absolutely like any other car to go over 100kmph, nothing wrong with it. I have been driving my car continuously at 120-140kmph on the highways. Mine is the 62bhp Indigo like TSKs. Infact Indigo is one of the cheapest and the fastest diesels around.
Old 29th September 2005, 01:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

tata diesels are specially bought by people who trot the highways daily. Hence that proves they are good for overtaking at good speeds. Its just that they are a but unrefined(sure u can live with it)

even the fiat adventure petrol and diesel make for good options.
also look for a scorpio crde and sumo victa that fall in your budget.

test drive them all and then select one which u find the best suited to your needs and driving style.
Old 29th September 2005, 04:17   #30
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies. It has been very enlightening and i will, in all probability, go for the Marina LX BS III.

I must say, the thread elsewhere about the things to evaluate during a new car purchase is extremely helpful.

I had a question which i thought i should know the answer to before committing to this purchase:

- What is the significance of an Intercooler in a Turbo Charged Diesel engine? What does the lack of it mean to performance or fuel efficiency?

- I keep seeing the term TDI - what does that stand for (Turbo Diesel injected??).

Also would it make sense to buy any accessory from the US for my car in Chennai - for quality or cost reasons? I keep seeing these racks and racks of car accessories when i walk by stores and am not sure whether all these are available (or necessary) in Chennai. Please advice.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks