Team-BHP - Hacker "Kills" Cars : Is it possible in India Yet?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hacker "Kills" Cars : Is it possible in India Yet? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/77699-hacker-kills-cars-possible-india-yet.html)

Came across this interesting story here Hacker Disables More Than 100 Cars Remotely | Threat Level | Wired.com

"Over the years, a number of optional technologies have allowed new auto buyers to remotely disable and / or recover their vehicles after purchase, but these devices aren't always optional, and it might not even be the buyer who activates them. According to Threat Level, a man has been charged in Austin, Texas for allegedly hacking into the computer of his employer, Texas Auto Center, and activating WebTeck remote horn triggers and kill devices installed in over 100 cars owned by the company's customers -- all from the comfort of home. After Texas Auto Center reset the offending software's passwords and figured out what's what, the Austin High Tech Crime Unit quickly traced access back to one Omar Ramos-Lopez and made an arrest -- but for many, the damage (in terms of missed work, school and tow-truck calls) had already been done."

Scary! Another form of cyber warfare.

They find new ways every other day. That's scary. Freaky to think what all people can now do via cyberspace or simply the net.

I don't believe that's possible here in India - Majority of Indian cars don't have such devices, do they?

Will it happen in India any time soon? No. Would I like that possibility to exist anywhere in the world? Absolutely not.

Sometimes, I so desire the low-tech approach to cars ... Wish I hadn't sold my grandfather's Mk2 amby ...

I looked at the article, and it is scary and very "big brother".

More interestingly, how about this? GM Makes Your Entire Windshield a Head-Up Display | Autopia | Wired.com

Don't worry, we are in India:D. Until such systems are not welcomed, it will not attract such issues. But I think it has started in India, by a few companies who give the option of immobilizer built-in as stock accessory but not revealed to the user/public.

Needless to say, I still stick to the older gen cars with good maintenance (the SS80/97'zen) which has point-set ignition timings. Which are only manual & not affected by electronic manipulations clap:.

on't worry it will not happen in the land of Marutas and Juggad. and also where bandwidth which is not even pure 256Kbps is called broadband.

Today we already have cars that offer bluetooth connectivity. A determined guy can easily monitor calls because of bluetooth. I don't see a day far when traffic info will be made available through WiFi. So slowly we are moving towards that era. Today a hacker might only hack into your laptop that you are using while sitting in a chauffer driven car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tantragna (Post 1790310)
Don't worry, we are in India:D. Until such systems are not welcomed, it will not attract such issues. But I think it has started in India, by a few companies who give the option of immobilizer built-in as stock accessory but not revealed to the user/public.

Needless to say, I still stick to the older gen cars with good maintenance (the SS80/97'zen) which has point-set ignition timings. Which are only manual & not affected by electronic manipulations clap:.

None of the cars sold in India have remote access. Even the immobilisers mentioned above cannot be accessed remotely. I don't see remote access happenning in India. Although it will be useful for the rental car services, wherein if a car is not returned on time or stolen, the vehicle can be remotely disabled

OT:
The guy just used his friend's account to login to the company network. How can be called a hacker? It's become a trend to call every guy doing a malicious activity using a computer as a hacker.

he is computer hacker or not depends on how he got his friends account details! it's just written that he used his friends account detail but not sure how! maybe he befriended and got details then he is a "mind" hacker not computer hacker :D

I am sure it will happen. We have a lot of excellent computer nuts. It is only a matter of theme when the black hats (as against the white hats, i.e. the good ones) get cracking.