Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 15:28   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
With heavy competition from the Beat, Figo and Polo, I feel a styling change is mandatory. You cannot go on with the same looks forever.
Not really, as already mentioned, looks are subjective and might not matter to most. I being 6' 3" myself can never feel comfortable with a Beat, Figo or Polo for obvious reasons. (A Swift or a Vista will still do).
We have a Spark in our Family and though the head room is quite good, the seating is lower to the WagonR and knee constantly touches the center console.
With 4 normal adults and a lot of baggage, I will wonder about the boot space offered in the mentioned models.
So, there are many who would think like me and settle for a WagonR for the budget and practicality and other comforts.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th March 2010 at 15:31.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:22   #122
Senior - BHPian

Those who question about the design and looks of WagonR (boxy) must understand that it is *that way* for a reason. The boxy design liberates a lot of headroom and boot space, coupled with easy ingress/egres and good view of the road. A WagonR would loose its USP if it came in the shape similar to say a Chevrolet Beat or a Spark.

Heck, i would say - Boxy is *good*.

Last edited by DCEite : 24th March 2010 at 16:24.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:16   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Those who question about the design and looks of WagonR (boxy) must understand that it is *that way* for a reason. The boxy design liberates a lot of headroom and boot space, coupled with easy ingress/egres and good view of the road. A WagonR would loose its USP if it came in the shape similar to say a Chevrolet Beat or a Spark.

Heck, i would say - Boxy is *good*.
I totally agree to this point coz i'm 6.2'' n 124kg!! so for people like me first will look for space n then for shape in hatchbacks like these.so kudos to maruti n kudos to tata too (vista)in this aspect.regards
Old 24th March 2010, 18:02   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Maruti has started feeling the heat now and how! The Figo will ensure that the Swift's waiting list takes a beating. I just hope Maruti wakes up from their slumber before its too late. Its high time they refreshed their product portfolio on the lower end of the spectrum.
I'd still maintain that Maruti has one of the best product line-ups in the lower segments.You probably couldn't ask for more.The only two cars that need beefing up are the Alto and Wagon R,and MSIL will have that done in probably the next couple of months,and M800 will be slowly phased out.

The 5 year old Swift is showing no signs of ageing and still going strong.And I don't think it would be battered much because of Figo,Beat and Polo.The all-new Swift is due later this year,and it'll be interesting to see where Maruti positions it in India.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:20   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarKumar View Post
Article published in Business Standards: "Maruti Suzuki India today said it would be investing Rs 1,250 crore to double capacity at its K-series petrol engine unit in Gurgaon to 500,000 by 2012. The K-series engine currently powers the Swift, A-Star, Ritz, Estilo and SX4 and the plan is to extend it to all the company’s petrol models except the Maruti 800."
May be not in its entirety. The Eeco is not in the exception. The Alto would still use the old engine as an option (primary option). So, there is more to it that they said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
One thing I cant help noticing is the huge headlamp cluster. I am not really a fan of huge head lamps like that on the Beat. These are a good candidate for accidental breakage with so much of fragile plastic area.
+1. I am with you there. And they are expensive. Insurance only covers 50%. Such designs looks very flashy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
With heavy competition from the Beat, Figo and Polo, I feel a styling change is mandatory. You cannot go on with the same looks forever.
It is WagonR and is bound to be boxy. When they made it curvier, they called it Estilo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
The all-new Swift is due later this year,and it'll be interesting to see where Maruti positions it in India.
Don't hope a lot from it. It would just be a small facelift like may be from Indica to Indica V2.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:10   #126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarKumar View Post
Article published in Business Standards: "Maruti Suzuki India today said it would be investing Rs 1,250 crore to double capacity at its K-series petrol engine unit in Gurgaon to 500,000 by 2012. The K-series engine currently powers the Swift, A-Star, Ritz, Estilo and SX4 and the plan is to extend it to all the company’s petrol models except the Maruti 800."
There is at least one wrong info in this article - SX4 is not coming with K-series engine, but with M-series engine.

If all other info is right:

1. The expansion will complete by 2012. So, K-series engines will be introduced in 'all' models only by that time. So, another good 2 years for Maruti to 'face-lift' current models.

2. Maruti currently produces 10 lakh cars per year. By 2012, it may be around 11 lakh. The proposed capacity of 5 lakh of the K-series engine plant will not be sufficient for fitting K-series engines in all their petrol models by that time.

My assumptions!
Old 24th March 2010, 23:17   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post
Don't hope a lot from it. It would just be a small facelift like may be from Indica to Indica V2.
I'm talking about the all-new Swift that will also hit international markets ,currently undergoing testing.It will be bigger than the outgoing model and built on a new platform as well,not a mere face-lift.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
I'm talking about the all-new Swift that will also hit international markets ,currently undergoing testing.It will be bigger than the outgoing model and built on a new platform as well,not a mere face-lift.
+1 to that. It will be on similar lines as the old WagonR upgrade to the new one being launched next month. The all new Swift will retain the character of the current Swift but it's an all new platform. Not a V2 like upgrade. Just as the 4th gen WagonR awaiting an imminent lauch in India any time now is longer and wider than the current one, the all new Swift will also be on similar lines.
Old 25th March 2010, 16:59   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
+1 to that. It will be on similar lines as the old WagonR upgrade to the new one being launched next month. The all new Swift will retain the character of the current Swift but it's an all new platform. Not a V2 like upgrade. Just as the 4th gen WagonR awaiting an imminent lauch in India any time now is longer and wider than the current one, the all new Swift will also be on similar lines.
I agree. Here are the spy pictures of the interiors. Click here. They resemble the larger Kizashi.

Sorry mods, wasnt able to resize the picture and post it.
Old 25th March 2010, 17:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

Folks we have a separate thread ofr New Swift Here Please restrict the discussion to the new Wagon R on this thread. Thanks
Old 25th March 2010, 18:20   #131
BANNED

sidindica

You are one amazing guy ,How do you get all these scoops
Old 25th March 2010, 18:37   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I don't agree here mate. Wagon R is a typical family car & not for enthusiastic people. For them there are other options available in the market. K series 1.0 Lit engine is sufficient i guess which comes in A-star. It will be fuel efficient which suits family requirements.
Well, having driven that all over the county and in all kind of roads, I think WagonR disserves a different class of positioning. I certainly believe it is scalable, and if Maruti did it, there’s nothing like it. I will buy it again
Old 25th March 2010, 23:09   #133
BANNED

The 4th generation Wagon-R in Japan is shorter and narrower (LxW: 3395x1475 mm) than the present Wagon-R in India (LxW: 3495x1495 mm).

So, can we expect something different? I expected the new one as at least wider if not longer than the present one.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th March 2010 at 23:11.
Old 25th March 2010, 23:13   #134
BHPian

So, the box is getting a new lease of life now than botox shots!
Old 26th March 2010, 01:23   #135
Senior - BHPian

Why did Maruti have to ruin the new design by redesigning the front?. The Japanese version looks cool and all they had to do was build it here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks