Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:02   #91
BHPian

[quote=designersf;1795999]"An upgraded Alto at a price premium is expected in the second half of this year while a ‘cost down’ version of the existing Alto - to bring it close to the price levels of the M800 - should be in the market subsequently."

I do not know what they mean by an Alto with 'Premium Pricing'.

Hell maruti suzuki ceased to be value proposition long back IMO. Had it not been for the govt. protectionism , other maker's would have whupped 'em long back.
It was never on equal terms when the car market finally opened up in the late nineties.
The war was lost by then.
Question comes to my mind..., why MUL / SUZUKI did not do well in any markets other than japan , india & pakistan to some extent ?
Anyway , Sorry for being off topic.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:17   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Had it not been for the govt. protectionism , other maker's would have whupped 'em long back.
Can you explain what are steps Govt. had taken earlier in favour of Maruti, and against other makers?
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:25   #93
BHPian

[quote=HIGHNOON;1796988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
"An upgraded Alto at a price premium is expected in the second half of this year while a ‘cost down’ version of the existing Alto - to bring it close to the price levels of the M800 - should be in the market subsequently."

I do not know what they mean by an Alto with 'Premium Pricing'.

Hell maruti suzuki ceased to be value proposition long back IMO. Had it not been for the govt. protectionism , other maker's would have whupped 'em long back.
It was never on equal terms when the car market finally opened up in the late nineties.
The war was lost by then.
Question comes to my mind..., why MUL / SUZUKI did not do well in any markets other than japan , india & pakistan to some extent ?
Anyway , Sorry for being off topic.

ohho, here comes another Maruti Basher, Humbly, I would like to request all not to bash Maruti without understanding the complete Ideology.

I am not a big fan of Maruti since I now only own 1/5 cars from Maruti but all I want to say is that we as a sensible petrolheads should logically discuss on all aspects.

But just wanted to mention here that since Inception, Maruti has been instrumental and has played a pivotal role in bringing many firsts to Indian Auto Scene.

Pls review this thread for more details on this,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1795249

Infact, I would say due to Maruti, all other manufacturers were forced to bring World class products to India, we all know how in mid-90's some of the new entrants in India brought old and dated models to India in the mid-size segment, but none of them dared to replicate this in Maruti's forte of small car segment.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:29   #94
BHPian

Nice scoop there. But will the chrome grill model make it here? i mean that small cosmetic change makes teh car look nice. But I am sure Maruti will mull over it and bring out the standard black grill ones.
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:21   #95
BHPian

any hope of seeing a 1.3 MJD in this?
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:50   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Same old stuff with modified headlamp cluster, Suzuki please bring better designed vehicles , mere face lift job won't interest customers.
Wagon R is seriously old enough to be retired.
+1 Wagon R is now as interesting as a 80 year old pamela anderson. But even if Maruti decides to sell the Model T tomorrow, plenty of stupistadores will line up with tongues salivating and cheque books in hand!!
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

Should make some imrpovements

Guys, wagon R is surely a good car already & a silent performer. Its a good family car at reasonable price. But still i think they should make some changes to make it even better.
1 I always found rear seat cramped for 3 adults. they should increase width by at least 50 mm.
2 Back seat i found thin. Not good as we have in swift. They should make it more comfortable & thick.
3 Improve the interiors.

I hope width is increased in the new car by Maruti
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:14   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Guys, wagon R is surely a good car already & a silent performer. Its a good family car at reasonable price. But still i think they should make some changes to make it even better.
1 I always found rear seat cramped for 3 adults. they should increase width by at least 50 mm.
2 Back seat i found thin. Not good as we have in swift. They should make it more comfortable & thick.
3 Improve the interiors.

I hope width is increased in the new car by Maruti
From my observation, there is no change in the dimensions at all (height width and length are same as old WagonR).
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:31   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarKumar View Post
From my observation, there is no change in the dimensions at all (height width and length are same as old WagonR).
As the WagonR is a Kei car, the dimensions would largely remain the same, save for increase in length possibly due to the new K-series engine.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:44   #100
BHPian

I noticed a bit of chrome at the rear photo, above the number plate section. Why do makers put in so much of chrome here and there?

The Toyota Etios is another case in point.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarKumar View Post
Ohhh No ....

Maruti should have increased the Width of the car. It would have added the stability of the car too. 3 adults cant seat at rear properly at all.

I guess all manufacturers should read TBHP regularly so that they can come up with the best cars in the world with all the suggestion from BHPins
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

The new car is definitely longer and wider than the current one. What remains to be seen is whether it is wide enough.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:38   #103
BHPian

Wow!! Is that car pretty or what!!
When the Wagon-R was launched I'd fallen so much in love with it, but as time passed I started disliking it for reasons unknown. But this version makes it look so humble, yet more masculine!!! I'm loving it.
Spruce it up with a nice pair of side skirts and a good set of tyres, shod with sleek n sexy alloys and viola, you've got yourself a total joy mobile!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Simply B.E.A.utiful (like the dialogue in the movie Mask)
That line's from Bruce Almighty
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:43   #104
BHPian

I really liked the new front design, at last, the box is no more a box. My first car was a WagonR and used it for 60K Kms, all over India and I really miss her. Driven it on all kind of areas, though it was probably never designed for some of them. The biggest advantage I have found in a Waggie is the turning radius, and I used to escape from traffic jams easily. If Maruti would launch a modified WagonR with following must-have enhancements, I would certainly buy another one
1) Improved suspension- I never felt my Waggie had any sort of suspension, may the height played the spoilsport in adding body roll.
2) Width and length- Yes a bit more is mandatory. There isnt a difference between those three wheel bugs and a car otherwise
3) At least 1.3 L K series Engine.
4) Wider and bigger wheels.
Looking at like the scoop, it doesn’t looks like any of these are taken care, except the cosmetic change, though

Last edited by CasperRider : 23rd March 2010 at 14:46. Reason: Missed a point:
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
3) At least 1.3 L K series Engine.
I don't agree here mate. Wagon R is a typical family car & not for enthusiastic people. For them there are other options available in the market. K series 1.0 Lit engine is sufficient i guess which comes in A-star. It will be fuel efficient which suits family requirements.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed