Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:59   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
+1 Wagon R is now as interesting as a 80 year old pamela anderson. But even if Maruti decides to sell the Model T tomorrow, plenty of stupistadores will line up with tongues salivating and cheque books in hand!!
And somebody will ask if the Maruti Model-T will be available with the 1.3 MJD
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:32   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Wow!! Is that car pretty or what!!
When the Wagon-R was launched I'd fallen so much in love with it, but as time passed I started disliking it for reasons unknown. But this version makes it look so humble, yet more masculine!!! I'm loving it.
Spruce it up with a nice pair of side skirts and a good set of tyres, shod with sleek n sexy alloys and viola, you've got yourself a total joy mobile!!!

That line's from Bruce Almighty
Agreed. The 1st gen Wagon-R was the best looking of the lot. The 2nd gen was more like moving with time.
It was the 3rd gen that went from boxy to curvaceous, but could not manage to look good, though the utility remained the same, courtesy the 1.1 engine.

The 4th gen has just addressed the issues that were with the 3rd gen Wagon-R. Yet I would not call it beautiful as there are better looking hatched in the price spectrum Wagon-R falls in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I don't agree here mate. Wagon R is a typical family car & not for enthusiastic people. For them there are other options available in the market. K series 1.0 Lit engine is sufficient i guess which comes in A-star. It will be fuel efficient which suits family requirements.
Does this means demise of the 1.1 engine?
In my opinion, after few tweaks & the engine would be ready for BS4 norms. After all it is not as bad.
My Santro makes more sound at idling than a Wagon-R (though it is the only point where I feel the Wagon-R beats Santro).

Hope this does not adversely affects the sales of Wagon-R which is selling good numbers (~ 11K units) these days.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:47   #108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Wagon R is now as interesting as a 80 year old pamela anderson. But even if Maruti decides to sell the Model T tomorrow, plenty of stupistadores will line up with tongues salivating and cheque books in hand!!
Looks are subjective.

If many will line up for it, what is the problem if Maruti introduce a Model-T with advanced engine technologies? Remember, customer (and their choice) is the king, not technology or manufacturer's ego.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:07   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Looks are subjective.

If many will line up for it, what is the problem if Maruti introduce a Model-T with advanced engine technologies? Remember, customer (and their choice) is the king, not technology or manufacturer's ego.
Very well said. When people are ready to buy the car, why to unnecessarily change the design? Every now and then make the vehicle contemporary in the engine department (changing the engine to K series even though the current engine is doing fine. Don't know if it is possible to tweak it to BS iv).

For WagonR, Maruti has a segment of audience whose main priorities (while buying a car) are Fuel efficiency, Spacious, Low maintenance. WagonR takes care of all these things quite well.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:13   #110
Senior - BHPian

Don't know why people criticize Maruti cars. I have very wonderful experience in our family. At least there are more than 10 cars used till now and still there are more than 5 running. I personally used 2 M800 and using DZire now. I never faced any major issues with any of those.

In my opinion Maruti's are the best suited cars in India. Reasonable initial cost, low maintenance, good FE, very good A.S.S. & reliability. That's why every second car in India is Maruti. I am sure new Wagon R will also be a winner, at least in sales if not in BHPins mind
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:11   #111
BANNED

Source: Maruti Eyes Local Skills to - WSJ.com

"A senior executive said Tuesday Maruti Suzuki will also introduce upgraded models of two of its highest-selling hatchbacks--Wagon-R and Alto--to replace existing versions. "The company will launch a new Wagon-R by April...based on a new platform," the executive said.
He said the company will also introduce a new Alto car with a 1-liter gasoline engine from its K-series. Maruti uses the same engine on its small-car A-star.".

Going by the above lines, I'm pretty sure that new Wagon-R will not be mated with the K-series engine. It may come with the new G12 engine from Eeco or a modified version of the existing F10 engine. Because, Maruti will never throw away any opportunity to proclaim the use of K-series engine, as they did in the case of Alto above.

Also, if they are able to tweak the existing F10 engine to BSIV levels, I hope they can tweak the F8 engine in Alto also for BSIV, because F10 - 1 cylinder = F8 engine.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd March 2010 at 19:17.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:59   #112
BHPian

^^^ yes, that made me wonder why they didn't mention the engine of WagonR but mentioned about the Alto. It would be tough for them to maintain the 1.1L engine only for one car. Even I was guessing that the G13 in the Eeco might make it to the WagonR.

It is high time Maruti offered engine options. To start with, I'd like to see the following:
1) WagonR with K10 and K12/G13
2) AStar with K10 and K12
3) Get a 1.4L engine and offer it as an option in the DZire and the SX4. Should be a free revving one like those in Baleno, Esteem and even the K10 & K12. A K14 if they may
Old 24th March 2010, 10:11   #113
Senior - BHPian

I think they might go in for the G12 from the Eeco. This is to keep the price as low as possible. Since the new Waggy is bigger than the current gen, this makes sense too. I think we can expect VFM pricing for this one. Somewhere above the current WagonR and below the Ritz.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:31   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: Maruti Eyes Local Skills to - WSJ.com

"A senior executive said Tuesday Maruti Suzuki will also introduce upgraded models of two of its highest-selling hatchbacks--Wagon-R and Alto--to replace existing versions. "The company will launch a new Wagon-R by April...based on a new platform," the executive said.
He said the company will also introduce a new Alto car with a 1-liter gasoline engine from its K-series. Maruti uses the same engine on its small-car A-star.".

Going by the above lines, I'm pretty sure that new Wagon-R will not be mated with the K-series engine. It may come with the new G12 engine from Eeco or a modified version of the existing F10 engine. Because, Maruti will never throw away any opportunity to proclaim the use of K-series engine, as they did in the case of Alto above.

Also, if they are able to tweak the existing F10 engine to BSIV levels, I hope they can tweak the F8 engine in Alto also for BSIV, because F10 - 1 cylinder = F8 engine.
Maruti Suzuki to double petrol engine capacity

Article published in Business Standards: "Maruti Suzuki India today said it would be investing Rs 1,250 crore to double capacity at its K-series petrol engine unit in Gurgaon to 500,000 by 2012. The K-series engine currently powers the Swift, A-Star, Ritz, Estilo and SX4 and the plan is to extend it to all the company’s petrol models except the Maruti 800."

As per the above article, what one could assume is all Maruti cars which are running on petrol will get K series engine (including WagonR). Can anyone give more insight on this.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:07   #115
nbr
BHPian

Nice scoop ! This one is definately a better looker than the previous ones.They could have still improved upon the rear though.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:45   #116
BHPian

Most probably the 1L K-series from A-Star will be plonked in new Wagon-R, at most with a different state of tuning. Though I would like to see the 4-cylinder 1.2L engine from Ritz, it is very very unlikely.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:36   #117
BHPian

I spoke to Maruti sales person (Pratham Motors, Bangalore) about new Maruti Alto. He told that he will get the details on April 2 and will call me. He also said new Alto will be equipped with 1L K-series but "there won't be any changes in the design".

I am quite disappointed with the last quote. Do anyone have any information on New Alto?

Note: I didn't find an appropriate thread on New Alto so posting it in this thread. If there is any thread on New Alto, please let me know.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:46   #118
Senior - BHPian

One thing I cant help noticing is the huge headlamp cluster. I am not really a fan of huge head lamps like that on the Beat. These are a good candidate for accidental breakage with so much of fragile plastic area.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:19   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarKumar View Post
Very well said. When people are ready to buy the car, why to unnecessarily change the design? Every now and then make the vehicle contemporary in the engine department (changing the engine to K series even though the current engine is doing fine. Don't know if it is possible to tweak it to BS iv).

For WagonR, Maruti has a segment of audience whose main priorities (while buying a car) are Fuel efficiency, Spacious, Low maintenance. WagonR takes care of all these things quite well.
With heavy competition from the Beat, Figo and Polo, I feel a styling change is mandatory. You cannot go on with the same looks forever.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:27   #120
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has started feeling the heat now and how! The Figo will ensure that the Swift's waiting list takes a beating. I just hope Maruti wakes up from their slumber before its too late. Its high time they refreshed their product portfolio on the lower end of the spectrum.

Last edited by longhorn : 24th March 2010 at 15:29.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed