Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2014, 18:17   #31
BHPian

Re: How costly are Ford Fusion spares ?

I bought Ford Fusion 1.4tdci done 89000kms 3 months back. Before selling the owner had changed front both suspension set (excluding the main vertical suspension) and also the clutch. However both were after-market and non-oem. Both together didnt cost more than 16K including service/oil/etc.

After I bought it, i did timing belt and acc belt with bearings replacement at Ford, they charged 8K each. Ford guys dont anything which is non-FORD

Cars drives amazing, lane slotting is great, space is awesome and ultimate utility for family. Get 16kmpl in city and 19kmpl in sedate highway, 15kmpl in spirited highway.

Im confused on tuning chip as its old and dont know what will break due to excess stress the chip will put to system.

You can call FORD and ask for spare prices and labor costs. Suggest take to guy who knows ford (authorized or 3rd party). If its something in gearbox, 70% charge will be labor and 30% will be spares.
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 11:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I bought Ford Fusion 1.4tdci done 89000kms 3 months back. Before selling the owner had changed front both suspension set (excluding the main vertical suspension) and also the clutch. However both were after-market and non-oem. Both together didnt cost more than 16K including service/oil/etc.

After I bought it, i did timing belt and acc belt with bearings replacement at Ford, they charged 8K each. Ford guys dont anything which is non-FORD

Cars drives amazing, lane slotting is great, space is awesome and ultimate utility for family. Get 16kmpl in city and 19kmpl in sedate highway, 15kmpl in spirited highway.

Im confused on tuning chip as its old and dont know what will break due to excess stress the chip will put to system.

You can call FORD and ask for spare prices and labor costs. Suggest take to guy who knows ford (authorized or 3rd party). If its something in gearbox, 70% charge will be labor and 30% will be spares.
I had used RD for about 5000 kms whereafter I sold it. I was so satisfied with the performance with the RD that if I had kept the car with me, it would never have been without the RD. The drive ability is improved tremendously
due to RD.
Old 29th December 2014, 11:54   #33
BHPian

Here is a small update. Took my friend's car on a short trip to my in-laws' town, 300kms to and fro. The car is a joy to drive. Drove very sedately at 100 kmphs. I was surprised that there was no noise at all from the suspension side. Took it over bad roads and apart from the rattles and noise from inside the cabin, there was no issue at all with the suspension. Out of curiosity, I took the car to the local Ford dealor for inspection. After the test drive, the S.A claims that there is no problem at all with the suspension, but need to change synchronizers in the gear box.

On my way back from the showroom, took the car to an electrician, for scanning the sensors. He got 2 or 3 errors which were corrected. Few sensor connections which were disconnected were connected again. Now the horrifying story begins: the car would not start. My mechanic tried everything to get the car back to life, but it was very stubborn. They disconnected and reconnected the fuel lines at least 5 times. Voila, it started. But the problem persisted. The engine was shutting down while the car is in motion. Took the car carefully to the mechanic shed, changed the diesel filter and the car does not stop while in motion now. But there is a starting problem, it does not start with one crank.

What could be the problem? Do I need to change the pipes that supply fuel to the engine?
Old 29th December 2014, 12:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
What could be the problem? Do I need to change the pipes that supply fuel to the engine?

Air in diesel lines is the usual suspect for this symptom. Next time, press the rubber cylindrical thingy few times which is to the left of the air filter box and try starting.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 12:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Air in diesel lines is the usual suspect for this symptom. Next time, press the rubber cylindrical thingy few times which is to the left of the air filter box and try starting.
Exactly did that. But do I need to do it everytime I start the car?
Old 29th December 2014, 14:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly did that. But do I need to do it everytime I start the car?
It means there is a leak(or air getting in)- checking the fuel lines-in ford's language it means replacing it all - is the usual ASC way of dealing with it.

I guess there's a pump in the tank for this model, if so, keeping the ignition on for some time(30-60 seconds) before starting can also help 'load' the diesel.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 14:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
It means there is a leak(or air getting in)- checking the fuel lines-in ford's language it means replacing it all - is the usual ASC way of dealing with it.

I guess there's a pump in the tank for this model, if so, keeping the ignition on for some time(30-60 seconds) before starting can also help 'load' the diesel.
Leaks? Oh My! I need to check that. As far as I know I did not see spillage of fuel anywhere. The mechanic was advising me to change the sensor that is connected to the diesel filter as it was not sitting properly. May be that is the culprit.
Old 31st December 2014, 11:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Leaks? Oh My! I need to check that. As far as I know I did not see spillage of fuel anywhere.
The following is the latest finding. The car did not start as it was parked on a slope and fuel was not reaching the engine. I pushed the car out of the parking slot and then tried starting. With 2 or 3 cranks, it came to life.

I feel that this is very strange as the car has more than half tank of diesel. Even the slope is not a very steep one. Could there be any other issues with this?
Old 31st December 2014, 23:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel that this is very strange as the car has more than half tank of diesel. Even the slope is not a very steep one. Could there be any other issues with this?
A 'hole' in a diesel line doesn't mean a leak- but air can get in and diesel will return to the tank.

Checking fuel lines, diesel filter, high pressure pump... this is the order.

If that doesn't work, then other 'costly' parts can be touched.
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:58   #40
BHPian

Folks need advice.
2007 Fusion, petrol, 100K plus. Kept it as 3rd car since it backup for domestics and love to feel its punch.

It wont start when cold. Had to be cranked atleast 3/ 4 times. This happens sometimes even when warmed up. new spark plugs in place , new filters et al. The dealership says its not an injector issue. They arent sure but what it is.

Any ideas?

Most Viewed