Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 00:12   #16
BHPian

75K discount and you believe that crap.
I worked for one of those company you mentioned and i got a discount of 4K for a purchase of 7.2 Lac.
Old 20th March 2010, 01:14   #17
BHPian

From a marketing perspective its standard to do this; to offer discounts to selected folks, in this case corporates, to move stocks without impacting brand value.
Old 20th March 2010, 03:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

I presume you work for AMD? It would be funny if Intel guys got 75k off and you didnt . Jokes aside why dont you just email someone higher up?
Old 20th March 2010, 07:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

@quickdraw , true,it becomes a prestige issue of the company where you are working and leaves you agitated. I had mailed to the MD of ford using the mail id I got from the site and got the reply nothing can be done. I responded by booking a VW Polo the very next day. My point is that lot of normal customers are not aware of these type of discounts and are taken on a royal ride by the dealer/manufacturer.
Old 20th March 2010, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Hi poloman - Did you check with HR department of your company? We faced similar issue wherein we wanted to register the car in my wife's name and the dealer was not ready to give corporate discount for her company. Therefore, registration was done in my name and we got discount of 4K. When she asked in her company she came to know that they have tie-up with Maruti only.
Old 20th March 2010, 12:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Maruti suzuki advertise special discounts to farmers, business men, and government employees(in regional newspapers) which sums up the majority of Indian population. Sigh!
Old 20th March 2010, 13:01   #22
BHPian

With all my previous experience of buying 6 cars in last 9 years, What I for sure know is the following:

Each Car Manufacturer divides all Corporates into 2/3 Levels/Categories/Tiers. They have Level/Cat/Tier-1, Level/Cat/Tier-2 & Level/Cat/Tier-3

The division is often based on the various criteria, companies turn-over in India, No. of Employees, Type of Company/Manufacturing/Product, No. of offices in India, etc.

Tier-1 Companies would mostly include Manufacturing/Fertilizer/Petro-Chemical Companies and to an extent some of the well-known IT companies,

Tier-2 would include majority of IT Companies/Consulting Firms/Banks.

Tier-3 is mostly non-existing for majority of car manufacturers, only very few have them and would include the remaining corporates.

The discount for Tier-1 would be max of 6K, Tier-2 would be 3-4K, whereas Tier-3 would be less than 2K, mind you this figure is not fixed and can vary by a 1000-1500

Maruti had for once even reduced the Tier-1 discount to 2-3K depending on the car model that you choose.

None of the manufacturers would give you a corporate discount of 75K, unless they sign on a deal with any corporate whereby a special scheme would be put in for some days and then Employees of that particular Company can buy cars. Last I know, my previous organization had a tie-up with Maruti where People were offered a max discount of 25K on Swift and about 10-15 K on various other models and this was seperate from the ongoing offers.

Below is the corporate discount that I got while purchasing my 6 cars.

Esteem - 2001 - 4K
Honda City - 2005 - 15K
WagonR - 2006 - 4K
Toyota Altis - 2008 - 4K
Hyundai i10 - 2009 - 4K

If you see the list above, I got max discount of 15K for my NHC in 2005 and that too when my Dad's Company (Manufacturing) was on a buying spree with major car manufacturers and they were offering 4 year SOPs for its Employees, Also, at all times I did not mention my company for corporate discount as I was in working in an IT company and it was in Tier-2 for all manufacturers, whereas my Dad worked for a Manufacturing company and hence got a bigger Corporate Discount,
Old 20th March 2010, 13:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Corporate discount of 75K is unheard of!
As far as I know, it will be 8 - 10K, I got only 8K on my car purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I seriously doubt the corporate discount of 75k, the max i have heard is 10k while working for one of the below mentioned companies.
Ford had quite heavy Corp discounts on the cars. i do not know the status now, but Fiesta D had discounts up to 79K for my company when i was buying an year back (i didn't buy the Ford though).

Honda had corp discounts of min 15K and 25,35K for City & Civic all along.

Plus, you also get substantial discounts on insurance too, because usually the MNCs have tie up with a big bank and they provide insurance too.

Since these are only for Corporate Lease and not applicable for personal cars, i am not sure if they should be considered as discrimination. I am a benefactor, so my view could be different from yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
But keep in mind, corporate registration of a vehicle also costs twice that of individual registration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's not true in Karnataka though, there is no difference.
Yep, extra cost for corporate registration is applicable only for Mumabi. Its the same in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Toyota Altis - 2008 - 4K
Hyundai i10 - 2009 - 4K
If this was in Bangalore you certainly missed something. I checked with Nandi Toyota and without even pushing they gave a ready corporate discount of 15K. It might differ from company to company though.

Huyndai never gave any big corporate discounts. So i10 maybe on the mark. I have seen only a 7k discount.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 20th March 2010 at 13:40.
Old 20th March 2010, 13:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai offers a handsome discount for government employees. Got a20k discount when dad bought our i10 Sportz last year. The discount was offerred by Hyundai and not the dealer.

Maruti provides a Govt employee discount, but that was around 2k when we checked recently.
Old 20th March 2010, 14:07   #25
BHPian

Hi Skywalker,

No, this was in Gurgaon in 2008 and that too barely a month after the Altis Launch, yups, mine was amongst the first batch of Altis' in Gurgaon, I got 4K corporate + 10K Accesories at that time after a lot of haggling and threatening of buying Civic if they did not relent, and they did agreed
Old 20th March 2010, 14:23   #26
BHPian

It is just another marketing gimmick to sell more.
They do a calculation of who has more disposable income and target them.

A year back Government employees had a huge pay hike and even a mid-level employee got a few lakh arears, because the new slab calculated salaries from 2007. And all these carmakers knew about this huge extra lumpsum amount in their bank accounts and had these "Government employee offers".

Tomorrow if dollar rates touch 60 you will see carmakers offering exclusive offers for exporters!!!

Last edited by Daewood : 20th March 2010 at 14:25.
Old 20th March 2010, 15:50   #27
BHPian

I am also facing similar problem of Corporate discount while negotiating for a AHNC. Dealer indicated that they give 10K discounts to corporates, which are mainly IT comapnies.

Problem is my company is not a "IT" company and it's a manufacturing company. The dealer says, my company is not in the list and hence he can not do anything about this.

My HR people have written letter to HSCI giving details of the company as advised by the dealer. It's been more than three weeks and no answer so far.
Old 20th March 2010, 18:04   #28
BHPian

There is also some thing called as Vendor Discount , It would be on the last page of the fortnight price list the dealer gets , if your company is supplying some form or other components , your company would have a vendor number , quoting it on the company letter head employee can avail this , you can opt only for corporate discount or Vendor Discount , most of the front end sales guys would not be aware of this but it works, some of my friends tried it for Ford and Skoda .
Old 20th March 2010, 18:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

I feel any discount based on whom the buyer works for is discriminatory in my opinion - barring the services, but there is a reason for that. I put down my hard earned money just like my neighbor who works for XYZ company, but to my chagrin he gets a hefty discount while I don't! I am not talking of corporate purchases here, I mean the guy simply works for that company and buys the car out of his pocket.

Even for the Alto 10k discount was being offered on this basis when I bought it. I mean, I work for a mfg company and pay X price, while another guy working for an IT major and making much more than me, pays considerably lesser! It made me very angry, and I decided then and there never to buy a new car again.

Last edited by Gansan : 20th March 2010 at 19:01.
Old 20th March 2010, 19:12   #30
BHPian

its no big deal

C'mon guys this is very common. My employer (leading services firm) provides preferential discounted mobile plans, insurance plans and car discounts. When I bought my SX4 i got a discount of 20K.

The car manufacturer benefits too... they put up flyers in the office, get mailers sent to employees announcing the benefits etc. Its an easy way to target your core market segment when compared to mass media.

The discount is treated as the cost of customer acquisition... and believe me returns are similar to media spend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks