Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 09:55   #1
BHPian

VW Passat 1.8 TSI Vs Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI

It is now certain that the VW Passat 1.8 TSI will be on Indian roads by April-end this year. Initially, it will have only mannual transmission but there is the possibility of it getting a DSG transmission a few months later. The Passat, thus, will now be competing not only with the Accord and the Camry but also with its cousin, the Superb 1.8 TSI which has a seven-speed DSG box. I wonder what members have to say about the merits of the Passat and the Superb.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 21st March 2010 at 09:56.
Old 21st March 2010, 11:18   #2
BHPian

Passat merits - Good *** network
Superb merits - more space, features, better price, Automatic 7 speed dry clutch DSG gearbox.
Old 21st March 2010, 12:50   #3
BANNED

If one's getting the same 1.8 TSI engine in the laura why would they bother shelling out an additional 7L for a superb or passat - it completely baffles me. Of course i understand that a superb or passat has superior transmission, driving dynamics, interiors etc. But is the 7L additional dough really worth it. The laura doesn't seem to shy in its performance any less whatsoever.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
If one's getting the same 1.8 TSI engine in the laura why would they bother shelling out an additional 7L for a superb or passat - it completely baffles me. Of course i understand that a superb or passat has superior transmission, driving dynamics, interiors etc. But is the 7L additional dough really worth it. The laura doesn't seem to shy in its performance any less whatsoever.
You have a good point there. The Laura 1.8 TSI is good with a six-speed manual transmission but lacks a lot of features of the Superb and possibly the Passat. The Laura is now available at the reduced price of Rs 11.99.000/- ex-showroom but I have a gut feeling that it may see some changes too.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:36   #5
BANNED

Quote:
it's not just about the Engine..!!

One would buy a Superb for the DSG, more space and more Snob.

One would buy the Passat for again Space, Premium Feel & Snob.

However if Laura 1.8 Tsi comes out with "DSG and more features" then i see no need to go from such a Laura to a Superb other than except for reasons of needing more Space.

Same would be the reason to buy a Passat with 1.8 Tsi + DSG.

I believe a Laura 1.8 Tsi with "DSG + more features" can really change the game but then it will hurt the Superb. So i dont think it will ever come...

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd March 2010 at 14:25. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed. Thanks
Old 21st March 2010, 18:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

It looks like there is going to be a huge competition within the VW family. In the developed markets what they do is to have similar technologies running on both Volkswagen and Skoda cars, but price the Skodas substantially lower than the corresponding VW models. For eg; Laura (Octavia in other markets) with a 1.4 TSI / DSG box is priced much lower than the Jetta with similar engine specs. Same is case between Passat and Superb.
It will be interesting to see how the VW thinktank deal with this. Because in India Skoda is a more known brand, and on the same price range of VW models. If they price the Jetta much higher, it will loose on the VFM front, and higher price for Passat will be even more of a disaster - that will bring it so close to the BMWs and Mercs.
As far as Jetta and Laura is concerned, my take is that they should bring the Elegance and Comfortline trims respectively with 1.8 TSI petrol, mated to a DSG box. And align the prices well with atleast 4-5 lakhs difference between the two brands.
Old 21st March 2010, 19:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
You have a good point there. The Laura 1.8 TSI is good with a six-speed manual transmission but lacks a lot of features of the Superb and possibly the Passat. The Laura is now available at the reduced price of Rs 11.99.000/- ex-showroom but I have a gut feeling that it may see some changes too.
The 11.99 offer is no longer available in Pune. There is a significant waiting (3-4 weeks) for the TSI (both Laura and Superb).
Old 21st March 2010, 20:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Then I wonder what would be the state of new Jetta petrol, which should be coming in the near future? 4 1.8TSIs to choose from though in different sectors!
Old 21st March 2010, 21:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

With the 1.8TSI Laura,you get a brilliant engine sans the bells and whistles,a la 320D CE!
Old 21st March 2010, 22:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Passat: Softer set suspension has better ride than the Superb but steering and handling is not as good.

Superb
:Feels much more expensive and a generation newer hence better buy even at the same price as Passat.

Please note both the cars have stiff ride and most owners i have met were complaining about AC effectiveness. Even when i drove Superb last year i found the AC to be struggling. The cost of ownership for both the cars is very high. The biggest drawback of of these fully loaded euro cars is the high probability of untimely failure of electronic parts.

Otherwise both these cars feel like a dream to drive compared to their Japanese competition. The TSi engine mated with Seven speed DSG is a dream come true till they not develop any snags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Passat merits - Good *** network
We might not have heard VW service horror stories as VW cars do not sell in volumes but since both cars share the Powertrain and a lot of components the even the Passat will be very expensive to maintain.
Old 21st March 2010, 22:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Go sit in the backseat of the Laura, and then go and sit in the backseat of the Superb.

You'll get your answer.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:22   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, the VW Passat looks like a pointless car ever since the Superb went on sale. The Skoda is superior in nearly each area - car to car - and is cheaper too! It's more spacious, has way more amenities and is far more comfortable for the chauffeur-driven types. No point in VW offering a manual tranny Passat either; the choice of 20+ lakh customers is AT.

Is it any wonder then, that VW finds itself in the midst of a dilemma. Worldwide, VW is positioned a notch above Skoda (latter known as the poor man's VW).
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:01   #13
BHPian

I always though that VW would position itself above Skoda as a premium brand. Skoda would be 1 level below. In India, I must say that Skoda appears to be the premium brand of the 2 when it comes to equipment list and the works. VW has a nice ride quality which is superior to that of Skoda I feel. But then again, VW have not got all the trim levels of Passat to India.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Go sit in the backseat of the Laura, and then go and sit in the backseat of the Superb.

You'll get your answer.
Having given up the rear seat after driving the Laura TSI I would rephrase that as: if you love the drivers seat you would prefer the Laura over the Superb not otherwise.
Old 25th March 2010, 21:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honestly, the VW Passat looks like a pointless car ever since the Superb went on sale. The Skoda is superior in nearly each area - car to car - and is cheaper too! It's more spacious, has way more amenities and is far more comfortable for the chauffeur-driven types. No point in VW offering a manual tranny Passat either; the choice of 20+ lakh customers is AT.

Is it any wonder then, that VW finds itself in the midst of a dilemma. Worldwide, VW is positioned a notch above Skoda (latter known as the poor man's VW).
Passat may look pointless on paper with the current Superb around, but if they go head to head with similar engine options (say 1.8 TSI or 2L TDI CRD, both with DSG), I am sure the more expensive Passat will definitely find buyers - due to the same reason you mentioned above. Worldwide Skoda is indeed considered as poor man's VW. And another point to note is that, with their limited sales, VW has not got much negative press in comparison to Skoda.

Most Viewed