Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 21:32   #151
BHPian

I think this Nano catching fire thingy is really spreading, because today 2 ladies( 1 in her 30's and the other her mother maybe in her 50's) were talking about it at my shop. They were contemplating on getting one for themselves for short market trips, but were in a lot of doubt whether to go with it or not, hearing such horror stories.

No need to guess when such things become household talks that really is what Tata needs to avoid.

Hope they sort this issue soon else, this is going to hurt them bad.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:11   #152
BHPian

Looks like some of our well informed experts on this forum are not even following the news happening on the Nano fire incident. I see a lot of people blaming tata for doing nothing.

Tata orders probe into Nano fire — Autoblog

From Tata:

"This is a unique case. We are trying to figure out what went wrong." Depending on the outcome of this investigation, Tata may issue one more round of quality checks to make sure this incident does not happen again.

Any vehicle catching fire is a serious concern. And the manufacturer is expected to work on that. I think Tata is doing the same. Even Honda City caught fire in Delhi. Let's compare the responce to both the threads.

Honda City: 3 pages
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...da-city-2.html

Nano: Already 11 pages.

Car catching fire is a very big concern but why is the responce so different.
Another quote from the Honda City thread:

I have seen a Fiat Palio with its engine bay under fire right in front of my eyes. It was in a residential street and there were people trying to douse the flames with water. The thought that anything could happen at that moment was really alarming!

The next day I saw it at the locality police station the front completely charred! The good part is that, nobody got hurt.

EAT THIS! A friend told me that a S-Class also caught fire a few months back in Madras. I cant confirm it though.

The thread is full of references to cars catching fire. Why is that only nano attracting so much attention. Almost all the cars mentioned were expensive cars. We generally expect quality to be better with price. How many of us bothered to open a thread on those cars and how many of us bothered to post on those threads. Tata already said they are working on it. But what about the government? Don't they have any responcebility? Why is no one talking about that?

Last edited by airbender : 24th March 2010 at 22:13. Reason: edit
Old 24th March 2010, 22:16   #153
Senior - BHPian

Other tata cars catching fire are also a non event
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ches-fire.html
just two pages.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:20   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
How many of us bothered to open a thread on those cars and how many of us bothered to post on those threads. Tata already said they are working on it. But what about the government? Don't they have any responcebility? Why is no one talking about that?
Thats pretty well laid out, even I sometimes get pissed off with people complaining a lot about Nano, of course it is cheap but not that the manufacturer would want to play with the lives of the fellow countrymen. They surely take as much responsibility as much as any other manufacturers.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:41   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Thats pretty well laid out, even I sometimes get pissed off with people complaining a lot about Nano, of course it is cheap but not that the manufacturer would want to play with the lives of the fellow countrymen. They surely take as much responsibility as much as any other manufacturers.

We all know what happened to Nano in Singur. Nano had to move from singur because of vested interests. This fire incident may be genuine but why don't we give Tata a chance just the same way we give honda's, merc's which also caught fire. If we don't we will be similar to those who moved nano out of singur.People bombard bloging sites as if that's no one priority. I still maintain this incident is serious concern but don't come to conclusions before the verdict is out.

If Nano catches fire it is a death bed. If a car 15-25 times catches fire it is one off incident. People inside honda city were charred to death because they cannot open the doors.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:48   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Other tata cars catching fire are also a non event
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ches-fire.html
just two pages.
Quote:
The thread is full of references to cars catching fire. Why is that only nano attracting so much attention. Almost all the cars mentioned were expensive cars. We generally expect quality to be better with price. How many of us bothered to open a thread on those cars and how many of us bothered to post on those threads. Tata already said they are working on it. But what about the government? Don't they have any responcebility? Why is no one talking about that?
Its the perfect case of the class bully picking on the "weak" kid (the nano).

Respect the nano for what it is - a game changer.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:53   #157
Senior - BHPian

I think we should simply slow down until TATA finishes its investigation. It wouldnt be rocket science to find the root cause of it. Lets just give a fair amount of time to them.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:54   #158
BHPian

No car is perfect. Every car/manufacturer had problems with cars catching fire.

Swift Catches Fire

Lamborghini catches fire at Chennai Airport

These two cars were actually parked when they caught fire.

Why punch only nano?

First three nano incidents of catching fire were not actually fire but black smoke.

How many of us own on this thread own a Nano? If any do you have any complaints about Nano.

Last edited by airbender : 24th March 2010 at 23:01. Reason: edit
Old 24th March 2010, 23:00   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Swift Catches Fire

Why punch only nano?

First three nano incidents of catching fire were not actually fire but black smoke.
This, along with some more fire incidents of other cars reported in this thread certainly will calm some of my nerves. As I said earlier in this thread, my delivery of the NANO is expected within a week. I still bat for TATA and hope the investigation finishes quickly and we get to know the cause of the fire very soon.

Last edited by funkykar : 24th March 2010 at 23:02.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:08   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
This, along with some more fire incidents of other cars reported in this thread certainly will calm some of my nerves. As I said earlier in this thread, my delivery of the NANO is expected within a week. I still bat for TATA and hope the investigation finishes quickly and we get to know the cause of the fire very soon.

This is exaclty what I am talking about. Some people create so much scare so that they really scare away buyers from Nano.

BTW, I have seen some members common on all Nano bashing threads. Some members first started saying it's impossible, it's a rick on four wheels. Now that its a reality they want to kill the product by saying it is not safe. they are other cars in India which are not safer than Nano. No one talks about that. Nano does not have airbags as if all other cars in India have airbag's. Why single out Nano?

A famous quote:

Nano is not as refined as a Honda Jazz.

What about this:
Alteast Nano doors opened when the car is on fire. Not the case with Honda.

I still maintain this is a serious issue(Tata has to act and they are) but please don't overdo your hate mongering.

I think this Nano catching fire thingy is really spreading, because today 2 ladies( 1 in her 30's and the other her mother maybe in her 50's) were talking about it at my shop. They were contemplating on getting one for themselves for short market trips, but were in a lot of doubt whether to go with it or not, hearing such horror stories.

May be these women don't know much about car's and fire's. Or may be they were following this thread.

Give me one car manufacturer whose cars did not catch fires.

One great freedom fighter once said "We don't need a outsider to break us. We have enough inside"

Last edited by airbender : 24th March 2010 at 23:20. Reason: edit
Old 24th March 2010, 23:10   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Swift Catches Fire

Why punch only nano?

How many of us own on this thread own a Nano? If any do you have any complaints about Nano.
well the nano because Tata as a company in the past has been Hesitant to take action once the sale of the car has been completed.
Its like once the car is sold to an owner its basically his Responsibility no matter what the circumstances are.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:35   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
well the nano because Tata as a company in the past has been Hesitant to take action once the sale of the car has been completed.
Quote:
Its like once the car is sold to an owner its basically his Responsibility no matter what the circumstances are.
This is a post form Vinaydas:

and most people had a problem here with Toyota's recalls. At least they had to courtesy to do so unlike Tata who is basically trying to sweep matters under the carpet.

Plain lie. They were sleeping on customers complaints before US Govt intereferd. Prius is an Example. US Govt even asked them to recall Prius but they only did that after the runaway incident. US govt ordered a probe on Toyota and other automakers started recalling. How many automakers did recall in India? Don't tell me the cars they sell in India do not have a problem. These cars are made at the same plants and with same suppliers. More than in India Mexico is a much curious case. Everything is similar to a car in US and Mexico but recall in US and not in Mexico. Does it mean any anything for you.

Apart from this topic, why do you think MNC's behave differently in different countries. It's the Governments. In countries like India Govt's do nothing except collecting bribes. There are hundreds of auto fire incidents in India but none got investigated. In developed countries, we see executives jailed for these incidents. Why are honda executies not jailed for murder when people inside the car got burned to death? Still no one pays attention to those things.

Tata had problems with service and recent owner ship reports on the forum show they are improving. Again Tata's service is off-topic on this thread. FYI, Tata is already investigating the incident.

Question to all: If Tata's vehicles or service is that bad, why are they still no 2 or 3 in a market where all the international players are in play?

Last edited by airbender : 24th March 2010 at 23:45.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:37   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Things have changed, so has time. Compitition changes all. TATA are not as bad as they were before. They are a lot better these days. Moreover, to keep the NANO spirits high, dont you guys think, logically TATA would and should take all precautionary measures to fix any issues and keep the ball rolling.

TATA wouldnt let the NANO die.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:45   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is a post form Vinaydas:

and most people had a problem here with Toyota's recalls. At least they had to courtesy to do so unlike Tata who is basically trying to sweep matters under the carpet.

Plain lie. They were sleeping on customers complaints before US Govt intereferd. Prius is an Example. US Govt even asked them to recall Prius but they only did that after the runaway incident. US govt ordered a probe on Toyota and other automakers started recalling. How many automakers did recall in India? Don't tell me the cars they sell in India do not have a problem. These cars are made at the same plants and with same suppliers. More than in India Mexico is a much curious case. Everything is similar to a car in US and Mexico but recall in US and not in Mexico. Does it mean any anything for you. Tata had problems with service and recent owner ship reports on the forum show they are improving. Again Tata's service is off-topic on this thread. FYI, Tata is already investigating the incident.
Recalls are necessary only if there are problems reported.
the camry which is on the recall list , seems to have no complaints from Indian Market.
About previous recalls ,there have been some suspension issue based recall with the innova, and few recalls with the corolla were also there.
Forget Toyota Even Our In House Company Mahindra Has shown much more interest in their customers than Tata.
This shows their level of commitment or simply "They Care".

Last edited by vinaydas : 24th March 2010 at 23:50.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:54   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Recalls are necessary only if there are problems reported.
Quote:
the camry which is on the recall list , seems to have no complaints from Indian Market.
About previous recalls ,there have been some suspension issue based recall with the innova.
This shows their level of comments or simply "They Care".

Problems were reported on Toyota vehicles way back in 2007 on sudden accelaration. Even the national highway safety department is under investigation for not acting at that time.

What is so different about Indian roads or Camry's sold in India? Do we have any national database of problems reported on a particular car in India. Or do you happen to have access to Toyota's secure database?
How can you make a statement camry's do not have problems in India. If a car manufactured on a particular line or a plant has a problem, auto makers are supposed to recall all the cars manufactured from that. Why is that division is only made between developed and developing or under developed countries?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks