Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Correct! So it has to be the car itself. Still to early jump into a conclusion. Does anyboday know if any other car manufacturer suffered a similar ordeal in India?
I remember similar stories about the Daewoo Cielo. And much later about people getting asphyxiated inside Santros.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I would like to mention here that the incident did not happen on expressway (which members unfamiliar with Mumbai may assume as Mumbai - Pune expressway). It happened on Eastern Express highway at Mulund, which is within Mumbai limits.

This is really a sad thing though. Brand new vehicle catching fire is not good.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The delivery after fitting accessories could have happened at 3PM, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
If the accessories have been fitted in showroom, then they must be genuine na?!
Quote:
Correct! So it has to be the car itself. Still to early jump into a conclusion...
So, which side are you batting for?
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

How do we get to know TATA's response for the incident? Do we just wait it out until they give a press release? Is there a guideline or a stipulated time by which the vehicle manufacturer needs to finish investigation?
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

I was litttle surprised reading the incidence in Mumbai, Owner bought a nano and installed AC and power steering no details are provided on who installed this power steering and AC.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I was litttle surprised reading the incidence in Mumbai, Owner bought a nano and installed AC and power steering no details are provided on who installed this power steering and AC.
If the reporter was a Auto journalist then he would have asked such questions and given us the answers.

Last edited by arun1100 : 22nd March 2010 at 14:01.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Since its stated that the dealer sent an official driver to deliver car to residence, its safe to assume that any modifications or installation of ICE was done at the dealership itself. If it was done by a third party, it is very less likely that the dealer sends a driver to drop off the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
If the reporter was a Auto journalist then he would have asked such questions.
Moreover, many journalists just need the news and dont bother about the minute details. As long as they get some news, they are fine.

HappyWheels: I am still optimistic about Nano being a very good car. I would get to the dealership and extend my warranty. I would anyways get the car

Last edited by Stratos : 23rd March 2010 at 08:31.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
So, which side are you batting for?
He is taking delivery of a nano within a week! His confusion is quite genuine. If i were in his place, i'd definitely up my life insurance cover

EDIT: Speaking of insurance, what will Satish Sawant get in this case? I think he should be given more than just the IDV.

Last edited by amitoj : 22nd March 2010 at 14:03.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct! So it has to be the car itself. Still to early jump into a conclusion. Does anyboday know if any other car manufacturer suffered a similar ordeal in India?
I remember reading similar reports of parked Dolphins catching fire long time back.

On the lighter side, soon TATA will be providing a genuine fire extinguishing accessory for NANO - like a built in water spraying system which gets triggered on smoke and fire

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd March 2010 at 14:05.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:13   #25
BHPian

Damn. That's a bummer. This is definitely not good news for new NANO buyers.
I am sure Mr. Sawant would be very scared to sit inside a nano again.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I remember similar stories about the Daewoo Cielo. And much later about people getting asphyxiated inside Santros.
3 or 4 Cielos went in flames for a fishy reason after 3 years in the market!

Could you please elaborate more on the Santro incident?

There are cases of Maruti going bright in flames. Lets not talk about proven records here and jump into conclusions too quick about the Nano!

Its almost a 2nd Pride of our nation. I hope Tata does a detailed check to resolve any problem!
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I remember reading similar reports of parked Dolphins catching fire long time back.

On the lighter side, soon TATA will be providing a genuine fire extinguishing accessory for NANO - like a built in water spraying system which gets triggered on smoke and fire
What was the root cause analysis of that fire?

May be ICE manufactures will note your point and start manufacturing safety water sprinkler for NANO, both inside and outside the car. It could turn out to be a best seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
He is taking delivery of a nano within a week! His confusion is quite genuine. If i were in his place, i'd definitely up my life insurance cover

EDIT: Speaking of insurance, what will Satish Sawant get in this case? I think he should be given more than just the IDV.
I too will consider a few life insurance policies before I start driving it. By the way, this loss comes under insurance or the manufacturer's warranty(assuming it was a defect)? It wouldnt be fair to get the insurance company to cough up the money right? They will definitely up the premium in coming days for NANO.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

My friend advised this to me around 2 months back.

One of his neighbors got Nano in Bangalore. They started getting fire (actually its whitish smoke they called it fire) from steering column. So they went to T.A.S.S. They advised rather in a threatening tone "don’t go to media, we will fix it"! They did something and fixed it! My friend did not reveal details of repair or dealer!
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
My friend advised this to me around 2 months back.

One of his neighbors got Nano in Bangalore. They started getting fire (actually its whitish smoke they called it fire) from steering column. So they went to T.A.S.S. They advised rather in a threatening tone "don’t go to media, we will fix it"! They did something and fixed it! My friend did not reveal details of repair or dealer!
Phew! wonder how many such incidents are hidden. This makes me even more worried. I guess some one need to file a PIL if such incidents re-occur and TATA doesnt do much about it
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
3 or 4 Cielos went in flames for a fishy reason after 3 years in the market!

Could you please elaborate more on the Santro incident?

There are cases of Maruti going bright in flames. Lets not talk about proven records here and jump into conclusions too quick about the Nano!

Its almost a 2nd Pride of our nation. I hope Tata does a detailed check to resolve any problem!

It was so long ago! If I remember right the Cielo incidents were attributed to faulty wiring harness. I am trying to remember about the Santro ones. There were a few incidents of asphyxiation when the cars were parked due to invisibility but the engine + AC were running - Co poisoning I think.

There were incidents of Omni going up in flames but almost all of them were fitted with after market LPG kits, especially the ones that used LPG cylinders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks