Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:24   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 23,534
Thanked: 19,630 Times
Default Tata Nano Fire Incidents. EDIT: Tata's analysis on page 34

This time the car was being driven from showroom to home after delivery
Brand new Tata Nano bursts into flames- Hindustan Times
Meanwhile a foreign look at the story
Tata Nano in fire controversy - Yahoo! Cars
More news for the same
3 Nanos catch fire, Tata to do pre-delivery audit- News- Zigwheels

Earlier there was a report about Nano catching fire in Ahmadabad.

Tata has refused to a a full scale recall.
I think that in reply to this thread, there will be lots of news references to other cars catching fire too, but I would like to see news articles of other manufactures where a brand new car caught fire shortly after purchase.
This is poor QC, and sadly, in India, the most a manufacturer can lose is the cost of a car + 10-20,000rs as compensation.Not much incentive to spend crores on a recall!
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:31   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,460
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This time the car was being driven from showroom to home after delivery
Brand new Tata Nano bursts into flames- Hindustan Times
Meanwhile a foreign look at the story
Tata Nano in fire controversy - Yahoo! Cars
More news for the same
3 Nanos catch fire, Tata to do pre-delivery audit- News- Zigwheels

Earlier there was a report about Nano catching fire in Ahmadabad.

Tata has refused to a a full scale recall.
I think that in reply to this thread, there will be lots of news references to other cars catching fire too, but I would like to see news articles of other manufactures where a brand new car caught fire shortly after purchase.
This is poor QC, and sadly, in India, the most a manufacturer can lose is the cost of a car + 10-20,000rs as compensation.Not much incentive to spend crores on a recall!
I am to take the delivery of a Nano in the coming week. This is surely got me worried a hell lot. Moreover, I opted not to take the extended warrarty as I saw no point with it since the original warranty cover for 18 months. Should I reconsider the extended warranty?

Are such untimely incidents come under the warranty or comes under Insurance?

Last edited by funkykar : 22nd March 2010 at 12:33.
funkykar is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:40   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,777
Thanked: 1,735 Times
Default

This is why me and my friends decided to go with a tried and tested car, and decided to wait and watch about the nano. At that time none of these stories had broken yet, but we did not want to be guinea pigs. We are glad about the decision now. These fire reports do make us queasy.
Gansan is online now  
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:46   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATSTN
Posts: 5,104
Thanked: 3,865 Times
Default

No wonder my Uncle always insists on Maruti, though we still have so many competitors;

Rereading the news says "Sawant had spent Rs 2.4 lakh on the silver Nano (MH03 AW 913), which he had got fitted with an A/C and a power steering"; this provokes questions such as was this done properly? Where was it done? Was it from T.A.S.S or somebody else? Does this not voids the warranty from Tata?

Nano or Audi, if something additional is done, it needs to be done with utmost care especially when it is on electricals.
aargee is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:49   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
arun1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 1,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Rereading the news says "Sawant had spent Rs 2.4 lakh on the silver Nano (MH03 AW 913), which he had got fitted with an A/C and a power steering"; this provokes questions such as was this done properly? Where was it done? Was it from T.A.S.S or somebody else? Does this not voids the warranty from Tata?
Its mostly a typo from the reporter.. He would have meant Sawant bought a Nano with A/C and Power WINDOWS!
arun1100 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:03   #6
BHPian
 
ElantraGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 441
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Guys, this is a bad publicity for Nano. I would recommend lets us not jump to conclusion on whose fault it is. The report as well as Tata claim seems to contradict each other ont eh root cause of the issue. According to Tata the problem might be associated with the wiper switch, where as this report claims of the engine on fire which is located on the rear of the car. The owner might have gone for a after market accessory that might have a faulty wiring. So let us not jump in to conclusion

Let us Hope tata comes out with a valid response on this at the earliest.


@Funkykar : I would recommend a extendeded warranty on the car to be on the safer side.
ElantraGT is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:05   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 23,534
Thanked: 19,630 Times
Default

If you read the article. The owner did not know how to drive.

He went to showroom, and they gave him a driver to drive the car to his residence. On the expressway, the car caught fire.
This was a top end Nano with AC and Power windows. Nothing here suggests that the owner fixed anything on his own. The car was being driven from showroom to home by a company driver.
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:08   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
arun1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 1,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you read the article. Nothing here suggests that the owner fixed anything on his own.
This is the quote from NDTV website..

"Sawant had spent Rs 2.4 lakh on the silver Nano (MH03 AW 913), which he had got fitted with an A/C and a power steering."

Which most probably is a typo error...
arun1100 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:12   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,460
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you read the article. The owner did not know how to drive.

He went to showroom, and they gave him a driver to drive the car to his residence. On the expressway, the car caught fire.
This was a top end Nano with AC and Power windows. Nothing here suggests that the owner fixed anything on his own. The car was being driven from showroom to home by a company driver.
Yes. The car seems to be a top end version that has company fitted AC and Power Windows. More likey it has to be the stock version that caught fire. It is a possibility that the owner opted to fit some ICE which might have caused the fire. We have to see what the official verdict would be by TATA on this issue.

I will surely opt for the extended warranty to be on the safer side!


Are there any do's and dont's for Nano's while going for ICE?
funkykar is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:19   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,940
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
...The owner might have gone for a after market accessory that might have a faulty wiring. So let us not jump in to conclusion...
As per the same report, vehicle taken at 3pm, fire at 3.45pm.

Wow! 45 minutes to take vehicle, fit accessories and drive on the express way!

Yup. We are all jumping into wrong conclusions!
HappyWheels is online now  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:22   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,460
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
As per the same report, vehicle taken at 3pm, fire at 3.45pm.

Wow! 45 minutes to take vehicle, fit accessories and drive on the express way!

Yup. We are all jumping into wrong conclusions!
The delivery after fitting accessories could have happened at 3PM, correct?
funkykar is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:27   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
arun1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 1,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The delivery after fitting accessories could have happened at 3PM, correct?
If the accessories have been fitted in showroom, then they must be genuine na?!
arun1100 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:31   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,460
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
If the accessories have been fitted in showroom, then they must be genuine na?!
Correct! So it has to be the car itself. Still to early jump into a conclusion. Does anyboday know if any other car manufacturer suffered a similar ordeal in India?
funkykar is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:38   #14
BHPian
 
MalluDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kochi
Posts: 396
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
... At that time none of these stories had broken yet, but we did not want to be guinea pigs. ...
Excellent idea, if one's to buy a car in India!
MalluDude is offline  
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:41   #15
BHPian
 
designersf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 603
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Any more news on this from Tata or the dealer? I'm shocked that such a thing has happened. We cannot jump to conclusions until the reason for the fire is known.

I always make it a point to take extended-warranty. It ensures peace of mind and comes at a small price.
designersf is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks