Team-BHP - Laura and Superb to come with new CRDI diesel engine EDIT: Now launched
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Laura and Superb to come with new CRDI diesel engine EDIT: Now launched (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/77970-laura-superb-come-new-crdi-diesel-engine-edit-now-launched.html)

According to the Autocar India website both Skoda Laura and Superb will get the 139bhp CRDI engine currently sold in the VW Passat. The PD engine will be discontinued. Expect similar FE and performance with lesser NVH. All variants will share this new engine. The best cars in the segment will be even better. The noisy PD engines was the biggest drawback of the Laura and Superb diesels along with bad service reputation.

Quote:

Skoda will equip its Laura and Superb with the same 139bhp 2-litre common-rail diesel that powers the Passat and the latest Jetta. The older Pump Duse (PD) engines will be completely phased out as they do not meet the new Bharat Stage IV norms that go into effect from April 1, 2010 in 13 cities across India.
The Laura previously available with two diesel options, the 1.9 TDI and 2.0TDI will now get only one diesel motor, that is shared with its sibling, the Superb and its German cousins, the Jetta and Passat. The new diesel is significantly more refined than the PD engines and will significantly improve the performance and refinement levels of both the Skoda saloons.
With these engines, Skoda hopes to keep its advantage in the executive and luxury saloon segments. Prices have not been announced yet but there is expected to be a marginal increase.

Yes. A Brilliant move indeed. These engines are very capable.

Also, Please do post the link when you copy paste some data.

New diesels for Laura & Superb | Autocar India

139 Bhp...?? Isn't Laura and Superb doing better than that with the current engines??

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyqed (Post 1797682)
139 Bhp...?? Isn't Laura and Superb doing better than that with the current engines??

No way the 1.9 ltr PD produces 105 bhp and the 2.0 litre produces 140 bhp.
I have always wondered as to why Pump Duse was used instead of the more modern CRDI.
Luckily the PD will not pass the emission norms and they have to replace it with the more modern motor.
Hope the price rise isn't too steep.

I wonder if the Laura with the new engine will also have automatic transmission? In a bid to remain competitive, VW and Skoda seem to be doing with the DSG transmission. Anyway, now we have much more choice of better vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjunrudra (Post 1797696)
I have always wondered as to why Pump Duse was used instead of the more modern CRDI.

VAG group invested very heavily on PD engines, while the engines are noisier than current CRDI technology, they are more fuel efficient. I suppose they stuck with them for so long to recoup the investment. BTW, in other markets, the PD and CRDI's are offered side by side.

Has anyone driven the "new" engines ?? Just wanted to know how they compare & if it is worth it - the 140 Bhp on a PD vs the 139 Bhp on the CRDi.

I don't think the prices are going to change much - if at all. The power output is the same - of course the 1.9 would be discontinued because of the BS IV norms - right ?

Cheers

The "new engine" is there already in the Passat You can check the details on the VW site. Its an excellent engine but the clatter is still there. Cars with the new engine will sell better now also because few were willing to buy vehicles which were going to see engine replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivar1951 (Post 1797837)
The "new engine" is there already in the Passat You can check the details on the VW site. Its an excellent engine but the clatter is still there. Cars with the new engine will sell better now also because few were willing to buy vehicles which were going to see engine replacement.

The noise in the Passat exists in all CRDI engines. It is much lesser than PD engines. Also, the CRDI engines don't vibrate as much as the PDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_63 (Post 1797819)
The power output is the same - of course the 1.9 would be discontinued because of the BS IV norms - right ?Cheers

What In your opinion would replace the 1.9 version? A 2.0? How is the engine capacity related to the BS IV norms? Thanks in advance for the answers.

guys any news when is the new engine coming? is it coming in the near future? my cousin plans to buy a laura in a couple of days.

A good move to replace the PD with CRDI but how about the performance ,would it be similar to cruze which has raised the bench mark for diesel engines.
Is this CRDI produced in India VW plant?

Quote:

Originally Posted by white_vdi (Post 1798079)
guys any news when is the new engine coming? is it coming in the near future? my cousin plans to buy a laura in a couple of days.

I hear that dealers will get the new cars in the first week of April this year. Deliveries, however, will commence only in April-end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS (Post 1798199)
A good move to replace the PD with CRDI but how about the performance ,would it be similar to cruze which has raised the bench mark for diesel engines.
Is this CRDI produced in India VW plant?

Cruze only scores better in outright acceleration, the driveability is poor due to the turbolag and weirdly tall gearing. Even the outgoing Laura PD is much easier to drive thanks to the sensible choice of gear ratios and good low end punch of the PD engine.

Any news on the Octavia? I read somewhere that they will be disconitnuing this car in Metros from April onwards because they don't meet the BSIV norms. Apparently the plan is to launch an 'ALL NEW' Octavia by the turn of the year.