Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:50   #1
BHPian

Hi,

Just pulled some data from oica.net. These are the global 'car' sales figures for all manufacturers in 2008. Those shaded in brown are not present in India. Ive also put some analysis on their presence in the 'beyond c segment' and 'upto c segment' in India. Some strange numbers for Ashok Leyland in this list - I wonder what cars they are manufacturing.

The conclusion is that there are a whole host of manufacturers that are yet to set foot in India

Global Auto and whats missing in India-global-auto.jpg

Inviting your comments, corrections and thoughts for the future of our Indian Industry

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2010 at 13:46. Reason: Updated with new image
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:01   #2
BHPian

First of all, this does not look like a list of "car" manufacturers only (as you pointed out about Ashok Leyland) - for example, Navistar and Scania are truck makers and not car makers.

There are many Chinese car makers mentioned with brilliant names like "Brilliance"!! I wish they never make it to India.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

From the above data we can see that most of the major car makers except Mazda and Chrysler are present in India. And who wants car makers like UAZ, GAZ, Jiangxi to come to India anyway?? I haven't even heard of them!
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:55   #4
BHPian

I wonder if there is any market in the world where all the brands on the list are present.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
From the above data we can see that most of the major car makers except Mazda and Chrysler are present in India. And who wants car makers like UAZ, GAZ, Jiangxi to come to India anyway?? I haven't even heard of them!
Yes, there has been no indication of Mazda's entry in India. However, for Chrysler, Ratan Tata mention that he would be open to brining chrysler to India given Fiat's association with Chrysler.

Also, Peugot Citroen or PSA - which is amongst the largest manufacturers in the world has pretty much been sitting on the fence as far as its India decision is concerned.

Hyundai has so far not considered launching its more budget brand Kia either

For the others like chery, SAIC and Proton - think about the possible value India offers as market for them to scale their brand into a global contender.

Last edited by acidkill : 23rd March 2010 at 19:22.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

They will come soon enough. India is growing pretty fast and being such a huge market, no manufacturer will want to miss out. Think about where we are now compared to ten years back. The rate at which new companies are entering is pretty impressive.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Would love to see mazda enter India. I guess they are the only Japanese automaker not present in India. Have a soft corner for them as my first car was a mazda.
Trick question: Did you know neither swaraj nor Mazda has any stake in Swaraj Mazda now?
Old 24th March 2010, 00:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Would love to see mazda enter India. I guess they are the only Japanese automaker not present in India. Have a soft corner for them as my first car was a mazda.
Mazda has a lot of products up its sleeve that have a good market here,namely the Mazda 3 and 6.Hope they make a beeline for India pretty soon.

You've missed Subaru,even though the re-badged and failed Chevy Forester did not-so-good business here! And I doubt they'll come here,because their line-up doesn't have a volume player for markets like India.Yet.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:48   #9

No Infiniti or Lexus either in India, though their parent company exists!
Also is it just me, or are the existing models of the manufacturers older version when compared outside! For E.g- the Hyundai's i20 Model is the same as the one in UK, but slightly trimmed version (see wheel/tyre dimensions). The less said of BMWs and Mercs, the better! I am not very sure, but I think Audi is one of few, that has the latest model in India, same as its global models!
Old 24th March 2010, 17:58   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The only real car companies marked on that list are PSA, Kia, Mazda and Chrysler. The first one did have an opportunity in India, but royally goofed up and chose to quit. Kia's parent company - Hyundai - has a large presence in India and at an entry level price point (i.e. Santro), rendering Kia useless. Period. And Chrysler is simply broke. Does it even have small cars to sell, small cars that constitute 70% of our market?
Old 24th March 2010, 19:53   #11
BHPian

1. I think that PSA, Proton, Mazda and FUJI (Subaru) stand a good chance in India

2. I suppose that Chrysler could come as a fringe player focusing on the luxury segment.

3. Kia wont really enter the Indian market unless Hyundai decides to follow Maruti's "retain your customers by flooding your lineup with choices" strategy

4. Other Chinese and Russian players may enter the market, but i think that they will all make dinky cars i.e. majorly sacrifice quality for price in whatever they do
Old 24th March 2010, 20:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

FAW produces cars in collabaration with VW in China, they only concentrate on China Same thing with Chana which belongs to Changan who produce Ford vehicle for Chinese market, moreover the bestseller for Chana already made into India thro Suzuki the Versa I have seen atleast more than thousand of thier car in China very very similar to versa, they also produced one similar to Maruti Esteem.

Except Geely and few others most of the Chinese names you see there are in collabaratin with some big MNC manufacturing thier cars in China (as the MNC cant go on thier own in China)
Old 24th March 2010, 21:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The only real car companies marked on that list are PSA, Kia, Mazda and Chrysler. The first one did have an opportunity in India, but royally goofed up and chose to quit. Kia's parent company - Hyundai - has a large presence in India and at an entry level price point (i.e. Santro), rendering Kia useless. Period. And Chrysler is simply broke. Does it even have small cars to sell, small cars that constitute 70% of our market?
Hmm - that leaves only mazda fit enough to take on India. IMO they have a (small) advantage that people already know their brand (via swaraj mazda), and that they have the ideal lineup (if they decide to release it in India) in mazda 2, 3, 5, 6, tribute and cx9 (even may release miata and rx8 for brand focus)
Old 25th March 2010, 10:15   #14
BHPian

We have forgotten Mitsubishi. They got lots of models that would suit India really well. The Colt, Lancer, their new RVR crossover and the lot. If Mitsubishi is serious about returning to profitability and gaining volumes, they better step up their operations in India

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks