Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 15:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
MileCruncher, I am yet to see a Mercedes bus on the road. And ask anyone about Mercedes and the first thing that comes to mind is a luxury car, not a CV. It's the other way around for Volvo. And the JLR cars don't say Tata at the back do they?
Mercedes has been selling buses in India for almost last 2 years. They are very plain jane and you can see their pictures on the CV thread.

Volvo car's TG is an informed lot who know about the USP of the car. But the main problem is brand quotient which is much more than just perception. Brand quotient can be increased/changed modified thru various marketing initiatives which seem to be absent here. And I think the main reason for that is Ford has decided to sell all brands under PAG and Volvo has been confirmed sold to Geely. So no new investment is not happening in this transition period. May the new owners do justice to the brand.

@ ikoneer: Volvo Cars and Volvo CV have totally different ownerships so the question of cross marketing doesn't come in.
@ speeding@160: Well to me the Volvo's are more attractive than most the MBA- Products. Not including bmw mx or Audi RSX.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 24th March 2010 at 15:47.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:44   #17
BHPian

I think if Volvo can attract few of the film stars in all woods then their brand value will increase like MB,BMW and Audi.So volvo can think in this way and improve their brand value.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
In India, they can be called "Stealth Luxury". You may want the luxury and the comforts but if you don't want to shout it aloud, this is the car for you. Something similar seems to apply to Nissan's current offering, the Teana.
I absolutely agree on the Stealth luxury part. But the prices at which Volvo cars are offered after discount they are really worth it if Brand value and showoff factor is not important.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
May be I'm in minority here but love the Volvo 740 Estates especially their no nonsense straight designs.
Actually, me too! I was always on at my parents to buy one of those "wardrobe" cars, but they never would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
Nobody here would pick a Volvo over its german counterparts - anybody care to disagree? Scandinavian dude doesn't count!
Yes. Me. They are beautiful cars, and I might well.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can't Volvo Cars India do some campaigning to show that they are not related to Volvo the bus maker? Something like, mention "A Ford company" or something like that in their ads?
Old 24th March 2010, 16:21   #21
BHPian

Its really a shame that Volvo sales havent picked up in India. They make great cars which are reliable, safe and value for money alas they do not have the snob value associated with the mighty Germans.

Volvo need to have better and more advertising, more dealers. They are starting from scratch Unlike Mercedes, Audi and BMW. Creating Brand Awareness is always an uphill task and that is what Volvo is facing currently in India.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:07   #22
BHPian

I have driven S80 and S60 extensively, they are known for their sturdyness and safety features, but, saw a brand new S80 this morning in Hyderabad with out even xenons, with such feature set they cannot compete with Merc,Beemers and Audi.

PS: I lived in volvo headquartered city for more than 2 years.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:11   #23
BHPian

The Volvos are best at its safety features. Luxury cars from volvo are at rise, looks like they are still competing.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:57   #24
BHPian

I personally think the unexciting designs of their cars make them undesireable/unnoticed.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I absolutely agree on the Stealth luxury part. But the prices at which Volvo cars are offered after discount they are really worth it if Brand value and showoff factor is not important.
This was the primary reason of starting this thread: To understand whether people are not buying Volvo cars only because of poor brand awareness or due to bad experiences with them in India. This is corollary to my observation that Skoda (all its models) is a huge seller in Denmark where people swear by it and in India there have been several unpleasant experiences.

I guess going with subtle Scandinavian design would be my preference over "showoff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
As far as India is concerned - Luxury is MBA - Mercs, Beemers & Audi (now)! These will always be the first preference for the upwardly mobile, recently affluent and old monies.

It will always be a select niche customer which will pick a Volvo over a BMW or a Jaguar over the Benz.

Whoever said 'The Japanese made 'reliability' standard' - hit the nail on the head!

Nobody here would pick a Volvo over its german counterparts - anybody care to disagree? Scandinavian dude doesn't count!

- ps which scandinavian country do you live in Rahulch?
I was in Sweden, now living in Denmark.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Volvo has a "Bus Brand" image. Many even dont know that there are Volvo Cars / SUVs selling. Just walk up to a commoner and say "I am planning to buy a Volvo" I am sure he will think we are planning a B7R and not a S80 or XC90.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:04   #27
BHPian

I remember pointing out to a Volvo XC90 here in Blore to my aunt and she was surprised to see the vehicle.
She confessed that she thought Volvo only made buses and heavy trucks.

Volvos are straight faced, no nonsense , safe cars with generic non inspiring designs(my opinion with comparison to ze Germans).

On road the XC90 is more spacious, practical and has one of the best in car entertainment systems.
But here in India, people still go for the Q7, X5, X3 or the Prado.

If Volvo puts in a good effort with its publicity and add campaigns, im sure they can turn their image upside down.

Volvo makes one of the best performing engines in the world.
The new Noble MC600 sports car has an engine which is lifted outta the XC90(V8).

Skoda isnt too different from Volvo with respect to looks and performance, and they have been successful so far.
Come to think of it, Volvo is far more superior to Skoda.
So I hope they do something to change their brand value soon.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo is way up-market from Skoda: at least up there with VW on the VAG ladder, if not with Audi itself.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:24   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulch View Post
This was the primary reason of starting this thread: To understand whether people are not buying Volvo cars only because of poor brand awareness or due to bad experiences with them in India. This is corollary to my observation that Skoda (all its models) is a huge seller in Denmark where people swear by it and in India there have been several unpleasant experiences.

I guess going with subtle Scandinavian design would be my preference over "showoff"

I was in Sweden, now living in Denmark.
Agree with you rahulch. For Volvo, its definitely the issue of brand awareness. And Volvo could be getting into more rough waters once Ford completes the deal with the Chinese giant Geely.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:08   #30
BHPian

Snob value.
Entry Level Merc / Beamer / Audi / Volvo cost very high in India that without the brand value it makes no sense. It would just be like a lion under goat's skin.

Whereas in their countries of origin they are mostly entry level cars like our B Segment cars here. Those don't need such a snob value to sell.

Make someone ask you the brand name and you answer with one of their products like a rapid fire round. You mostly won't say cars for Volvo. Hope that sayd it. It was the same to me until I had a drive in the awesome S80 with a V8 engine designed by Yamaha. Oh dear, what a hoot it was just to be driven in that car!

Next time I am out of India, I shall try to drive two cars:
1) A fully Loaded Mini S
2) A Volvo S80 V8

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks