Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 14:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Why would you say that? Aren't they equally refined and luxurious? Just curious.

Don't think so....though it seems that Audi shares the same view here in an old ad:

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 30th March 2010 at 14:35.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:43   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Don't think so....though it seems that Audi shares the same view here in an old ad:
YouTube - audi commercial
what an absolutely cracking ad...whoever thought it up needs to be blessed well rewarded!!!!

i tend to agree with gto here that there is a perceived value that brands such as mercedes and the beemers have here in our country....to that end, the audi brand is still not really up THERE with the guys who can afford cars in that price range...it's changing albeit slowly.

the volvo just doesn't seem to cut it though - they're known for being as safe as airforce 1, but that pretty much sums up their usp (for lack of a better word!)
Old 30th March 2010, 17:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

in my opinion, I have never seen volvos as a luxury car brand and strongly feel they are overrated in India. I know they rank quite high on safety standards, but they suffer poor brand value and presence.
Old 30th March 2010, 20:03   #64
BHPian

Volvos are family cars and I would say they fall in the Executive category, not luxury. Volvos are among the safest as well like what most have said. But, they were owned by Ford who gave them step-motherly treatment. That I believe is what killed the brand name. Now Volvo is being purchased by a Chinese company called Geely for a 'very low' amount. The reason why they may not be a luxury brand is because Volvo make most of their revenue by selling heavy equipment, like trucks, buses, tippers, cranes, etc. So since they make these, people may frown upon the cars coming from their stable. Seeing a Volvo bus carrying passengers puts off certain people from buying a car from the same manufacturer. That's my belief = People's perception about the brand.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really; its also because the competition offers extremely accomplished cars. The Volvo S cannot touch the E Class on comfort, nor the 5 series on driving experience. The Audis already cover the median (between comfort + driving experience).

Consider this : We are a community of *informed* petrolheads. How come not one amongst us has bought a Volvo yet? Another way of looking at it : Why would one buy a Volvo over a Mercedes E Class or BMW 5 series? Any convincing reasons? A USP perhaps?
So what you are saying is that VOLVO has not worked hard enough to create a "brand value" - to that I agree, but I also feel that VOLVOS today are brilliant pieces of automotive engineering.

The reason for none of us buying a VOLVO ? I really have no answer to that, maybe resale value ?? But I know for a fact that I am looking at buying the XC60 when it is launched - provided of course that the price is right & the drive is worth the money.

Each to his own !!!

Cheers
Old 30th March 2010, 21:17   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
The reason why they may not be a luxury brand is because Volvo make most of their revenue by selling heavy equipment, like trucks, buses, tippers, cranes, etc. So since they make these, people may frown upon the cars coming from their stable. Seeing a Volvo bus carrying passengers puts off certain people from buying a car from the same manufacturer. That's my belief = People's perception about the brand.
Only volvo cars were sold to Ford. Volvo trucks and construction equipment are another entity. Volvo brand image is an issue over here since the trucks came first. But again, Mercedes make trucks too
Old 30th March 2010, 22:04   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Reason for not buying one? Market presence, as much as anything, I guess.

Notwithstanding the fact that I am at the Maruti end of the market, I could go straight to dealers for BMW, Mercedes, VW, Honda, Skoda without even looking up dealer addresses on the net. Volvo? Is there a Volvo car dealer in Chennai?

So, anyone who wants a Volvo here, right at the start, has to put some work into finding one!

Why they appeal to me personally: design factor... I like the way they look. I do not believe that they still are still outstanding in either safety or reliability these days. Cars at all levels of the market have come a long way since those days.

Afterthought: I can even visualise locations for bike, truck, mini-truck dealers: vehicles I would never be in the market for --- but not a Volco car dealer.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th March 2010 at 22:06.
Old 31st March 2010, 08:01   #68

Hi,
I never thought there are so many VOLVO lovers in India.

Since i have booked for a new S80
I am selling my 1996 volvo 960 petrol in great condition for 3L
If anyone is interested mail me.

Regards,
Avinash.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashimpex View Post
Hi,

Regards,
Avinash.

Now right here on T-Bhp is a VOLVO owner. Not only buying the S80, but already owning a VOLVO sedan

Thanks Avinash for posting !!

Cheers
Old 31st March 2010, 11:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I know they rank quite high on safety standards, but they suffer poor brand value and presence.
They are also viewed as a "senior citizen's car" (no offences there) at least in the EU and not associated with a youthful, risk-accepting fast-lane lifestyle image...

@avinashimpex, what prevents you from posting a writeup with some pictures of your 960, and a buying experience of the S80? Please consider...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 31st March 2010 at 11:59.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:43   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They are also viewed as a "senior citizen's car" (no offences there) at least in the EU and not associated with a youthful, risk-accepting fast-lane lifestyle image...
That suits me jut fine!
Old 31st March 2010, 19:21   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Regards,
Avinash.

Replacing one volvo with another?

RESPECT!
Old 31st March 2010, 20:29   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

@avinash: Can you give us warranty details about the S80?
Like till when is the warranty applicable? Do they have any service packages to offer?
Engine choices?
I like the idea of a subtle comfortable and RELIABLE car. Would the Volvo fit these criterion? Is it more reliable than a E Class? Are spares easily available? Is it as comfortable as the auto mags make it out to be?
The volvo india site is very poorly organized with no information about prices and proper details.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:34   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Whoa! so you are a die hard Volvo fan. Its weird because one of my relatives in Southeast Asia is a die hard fan of Saab, another Swedish car manufacturer. I know its off topic, but the point I am trying to make is that there are plenty of folks who swear by Swedish cars. Once they drive them, they prefer the replacements to be the same! That relative has been driving Saabs for the past decade! By the way, the 960 you mentioned here has to be import right? I mean I doubt if those cars were sold in India (correct me if worng). Nice to see a Swedish car fan
Old 13th April 2010, 22:52   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

I loved Saab too. The company is no more, I think? Sad!

Most Viewed