Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 00:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Well, if I have the opportunity to own a car that promises the kind of safety and reliability (and not just solidity) that I can see from the luxury buses plying thousands of kilometers every day and also the company which has (I think) introduced India's first CRDI diesel engine in CVs, then I wouldn't mind. I am not a flashy person and I like subtle designs.

What I want to know is whether a Volvo S80 is fun to drive as compared to its German rivals? If it is, then perceived brand value be damned, it is very much at par with them.
Old 25th March 2010, 07:31   #32
Team-BHP Support

@architect: Fun to drive compared to the german rivals? The answer will be No. Its solid, reliable, comfortable, and well laid interiors, but does not really strike a chord with the driver. For me, its more like how a Camry is in its respective segment - nice, but a bit too plain and boring.
Old 25th March 2010, 09:49   #33
BHPian

not sure of the comparision factor with the M-B-A's but the Volvo S80 V8 is a hoot to drive. I was never driven hard in the M-B-A's but this S80 V8 is a different character from the other Volvo's. Please check for some reviews on it.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:01   #34
BHPian

To be honest, i think the "Volvo=bus" is a very micro and un-informed view. It is a major generalisation. C'mon guys...people know Volvo make cars.

Coming to that, people also know what cars Volvo are famous for....thats right, Station Wagons in which moms pick up their kids from school after doing the groceries.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Here in India, Volvo means those long distance buses. A luxury car buyer may not like to buy a car from a company whose buses and trucks only are are very popular in their region.

This is surely one reason why Volvo cars aren't that popular.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:01   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I would never think of buying a bus from Volvo, because, as far as I am concerned, they are car manufacturers!

Old 25th March 2010, 16:24   #37
Team-BHP Support

Its not really fair to dismiss them as bus manufacturers. If that is the case, here in Singapore nobody will buy a Mercedes as their buses are all around, and lots of E Class taxis. But yes, people do stay away from white E as that is the colour of merc taxis...
Old 25th March 2010, 19:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
To be honest, i think the "Volvo=bus" is a very micro and un-informed view. It is a major generalisation. C'mon guys...people know Volvo make cars.

Coming to that, people also know what cars Volvo are famous for....thats right, Station Wagons in which moms pick up their kids from school after doing the groceries.

It is also a car preferred by geography teachers in the west...
Old 26th March 2010, 20:02   #39
BHPian

Most Indians do associate Volvo with the bus (intercity and intracity) here in India probably because the buses are popular. I haven't seen a Mercedes bus here in Bangalore yet.

However as everyone knows, Volvo sold their car division to Ford in 1999. So I wish to remind you folks that Volvo buses have NOTHING to do with the cars.

Now looking at how Ford has been blundering along in India, with the exception of the recently launched Figo, its no wonder that not many people buy a Volvo car.

Even in the US when I was there, Volvo or Saab were never mentioned in the same breath as the Germans (in fact not even Audi was mentioned). Their premium character was always under a cloud and the only thing people seem to remember Volvo was for its popularization of the 3-point seatbelt. But when Volvo started adding airbag after airbag -- one model had 24 airbags -- people may have lost interest.
Old 26th March 2010, 21:54   #40
BHPian

Apparantly, Volvo was once the worlds largest bus/coach maker.

Now Mercedes holds that position and Volvo is second.

Tata, Man, Scania, Hyundai, etc hold the next positions but don't know the order.

But it is not about the Bus image. Every child around the world probably knows that the Merc is the best car or that Benz was the first car maker and so is Ford. And when someone speaks about Merc, 'phat' comes BMW. Put them both together and we start discussing German Cars and Audi finds it due place in that at least in now a days.

Volvo from up north is a missing link somewhere in this chain. For that matter, how many speak about Lexus. Yes, more people might speak about Lexus than Volvo but that has a lot to do with the parent company Toyota - the worlds largest car maker.
Old 26th March 2010, 23:03   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Agree with you rahulch. For Volvo, its definitely the issue of brand awareness. And Volvo could be getting into more rough waters once Ford completes the deal with the Chinese giant Geely.
They said that about Jag when the "indians" took over!
Old 27th March 2010, 08:57   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
They said that about Jag when the "indians" took over!
True, but even though Tata is an 'Indian' company, it has not really garnered much bad publicity in the International arena. Infact, I guess worldwide Tata command more respect than they do in India. But companies like Geely have gathered so much of negative publicity around with their low quality products. And all these could make brand Volvo’s life even more difficult.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:33   #43
mxx
BHPian

If I was in a market for buying a luxury car, volvo will be in my list, however will I buy it or not will depend on how impressive it is after a test drive and comparing it to the competition.
But, now that its a geely company, I will stay far from it as possible. Personally, I dont trust chinese management on a luxury car manufaturer.
Old 27th March 2010, 14:27   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

What would stop me buying it here is lack of dealers/service.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

And, a day later, what might stop me buying one is that Volvo is now Chinese

Volvo sale signed by Geely and Ford
<--- BBC News

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks