Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 23:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And, a day later, what might stop me buying one is that Volvo is now Chinese

Volvo sale signed by Geely and Ford
<--- BBC News
well if an "Indian(group) Can Own JLR" Why cant the Chinese.

but again Volvo being "safe" lost its tag long back to the Germans.
Nowadays Volvo's are associated with practicality rather than safety.
Old 29th March 2010, 03:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
well if an "Indian(group) Can Own JLR" Why cant the Chinese.
As for me I will not buy anything owned by Chinese. I avoid as much as possible products owned by a country that waged a war with us and still disputes a large swathe of our country as theirs.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:15   #48
BHPian

Has anyone actually seen a Volvo car on the road in India because I haven't, although their buses are aplenty in the cities. Have never seen an advertisement either. How does a car sell unless it is known to even exist?
Twitch for more info took me to Volvo Cars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Surprising that Volvo are second only to Mercedes in average life of a car at nearly 20 years, whoa!
I think Volvo have a similar image in Europe as tractor makers and truckmakers that Tata has in India. Luxury cars with this image?
Old 29th March 2010, 12:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
As for me I will not buy anything owned by Chinese. I avoid as much as possible products owned by a country that waged a war with us and still disputes a large swathe of our country as theirs.
Best selling car in UK is VW Polo and Vauxhall. Didn't the krauts blitz the hell out of the pommies? I don't think the Brits care two hoots today.

US is the biggest trade partner for Japan. Remember Hiroshima/nagasaki? Are the Japs sulking?

Don't mix commerce with emotions. Its bad combo. Buy products based on merit and not nationality. I have no problem with chinese goods as long as they are certified SAFE.

Regarding the original query as to why Volvo is a still-born in India:
1. Volvo hasn't got into the ring and played the game the desi way. Having dealerships rarer than hen's teeth doesn't help either.
2. If you buy a volvo today, be prepared to answer questions like "Isn't it difficult to park a bus in today's traffic conditions?"
Old 29th March 2010, 13:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sad truth is China is going to dominate in a big way and there is no way we can avoid using their products directly/indirectly. We know that every toy/unbranded electronics we buy is made in china. I am told that components for many branded products (like mixers, fans etc) are sourced from China as they are commercially more 'viable'. Soon we will see assembled products coming from China and being sold here with familliar Indian brand names.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Best selling car in UK is VW Polo and Vauxhall. Didn't the krauts blitz the hell out of the pommies? I don't think the Brits care two hoots today.

US is the biggest trade partner for Japan. Remember Hiroshima/nagasaki? Are the Japs sulking?

Don't mix commerce with emotions. Its bad combo. Buy products based on merit and not nationality. I have no problem with chinese goods as long as they are certified SAFE.
Britian does not have a border dispute with Germany. Niether does Japan with US. However, we do have a dispute (rather they have a dispute) with China. China is the main country which props up Pakistan military. They are the ones who helped Pakistan with the atom bomb and the missiles to carry them. I have a brother in law in the army stationed at the China border and he tells me about regular incursions by Chinese military into Indian territory.

Considering all this, stated that I will never if possible buy anything owned by Chinese and yes, it is an emotional decison.

P.S - Also why should'nt we be emotional? After all, we are tbhp'ians because we are emotional about cars are'nt we?

Last edited by chennai-indian : 29th March 2010 at 13:31.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:52   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Surely anybody has a right to buy according to their principles. Good for you for sticking to yours.

I'm afraid, though, that Chinese manufacture is pretty inescapable --- from the cheap plastic items in our kitchens to the major MNC-branded computer equipment under our fingers, probably manufactured/assembled in China
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing
Has anyone actually seen a Volvo car on the road in India because I haven't
Yes, I have! I saw one Volvo, looking very new and being driven amazingly carefully, in Chennai, a few months ago. It looked great.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:37   #53
BHPian

Yup I have seen a few Volvos in Mumbai and Delhi. One was infact coming out of Amitabh's house.

Not sure how many of you know but Sachin was given a Volvo S80 just recently as the man of the series.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

perception changes country by country.

Here Skoda is considered a luxury brand where as in europe its just a budget car.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:49   #55
BHPian

Quote:
...why should'nt we be emotional?...
Nanba, i think i rubbed you the wrong way. I can understand your feelings what with your bro-in-law facing the brunt on a regular basis. Hats off to his courage.

But fact remains that China DOMINATES like no other country today.
Look around you. Anything that isn't made of wood probably has a 'Made in China' affixed to it.
Hell, even my lil daughter's bath toy (a 20 bucks affair) has it.

Mr.Obama quakes in his shiny boots when Mr.Hu/Wang/whatever glares at his direction.

22nd century belongs to China, like it or not.

Ofcourse, all this is OT - Mods, pls delete if found unsuitable.
Old 29th March 2010, 18:10   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...Yes, I have! I saw one Volvo, looking very new and being driven amazingly carefully, in Chennai, a few months ago. It looked great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Yup I have seen a few Volvos in Mumbai and Delhi. One was infact coming out of Amitabh's house...
I hope you're not referring to the buses. Jokes apart, that makes two people who've seen a Volvo car actually. Some others may have seen them too but it just says so much about the brand visibility. I can imagine asking people 'have you ever seen a Yak?' and ending up with similar responses (only I have seen Yaks myself hehe).
Old 29th March 2010, 21:20   #57

Woaah!! what a huge debate my little thought has created
My intention was to know if people/experts had any -ve thoughts/experiences with Volvo cars in India e.g. in terms of service.

I have full faith in Volvo and any way the car that I would buy would be pre-worshipped.. so authentic volvo

Mods please feel free to bury my thought if it is spiralling into something not so nice

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2010 at 13:13. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please. Corrected
Old 29th March 2010, 21:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Volvo is a car that only a few would put their money on because the "perceived" premium value is not there in the minds of many of our countrymen.

Associating Volvo with buses alone !! I can laugh at that statement. Mercedes makes Buses & trucks which are popular worldwide. Even in India - those over a "certain" age will remember the Mercedes trucks that came in after the Ford Petrols..they were called Mercery "mer-surrey" by the truckers & the junta - does that make the covetted Mercedes brand a truck maker alone ?? NO..the Mercedes brand of Cars has / had a "percieved" value attached to them - read status symbol.

One has to evaluate each product for it's merits & de-merits & not simply classify as some of our fellow members have done.

Volvo XC90 would be my choice of SUV (if I could afford one) as would be the S80 for a Sedan. You have to "experience" these vehicles to fully appreciate them.

Compare an apple to an apple & you will begin to appreciate the VOLVOS for what they are - supreme examples of engineering excellence !!!!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 29th March 2010 at 21:30.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:12   #59
BHPian

I saw a few in Hyderabad but was some months ago. Saw two Volvo's in Mumbai an year back.But, I must say, their spotting is lesser than spotting a Porche.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:15   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Volvo is a car that only a few would put their money on because the "perceived" premium value is not there in the minds of many of our countrymen.
Not really; its also because the competition offers extremely accomplished cars. The Volvo S cannot touch the E Class on comfort, nor the 5 series on driving experience. The Audis already cover the median (between comfort + driving experience).

Consider this : We are a community of *informed* petrolheads. How come not one amongst us has bought a Volvo yet? Another way of looking at it : Why would one buy a Volvo over a Mercedes E Class or BMW 5 series? Any convincing reasons? A USP perhaps?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks