Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 23:04   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
This argument sounds good for the 1.2, but what abt the 1.4 CRDI?
Yeah agree. I am keen on knowing from owners of 1.4 CRDI as well as 1.4 petrol.
Old 12th April 2010, 23:52   #197
BHPian

Probably , but if the i20's AC is bad owing to the engine being a 1.2, the Honda Jazz's logically shouldn't be any better, especially with the larger interior room and glass area. Can any of the Jazz owners shed light on this?

And, of course there's no reason why the 1.4 and the CRDi shouldn't have larger compressors, but I guess one can put it down to standardization. I am guessing the export models have the same unit too, given that the i20 goes to Europe predominantly and summers are going to be a lot cooler there.

Last edited by spindoc : 12th April 2010 at 23:55.
Old 12th April 2010, 23:53   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Well.. this is a August 2009 Asta CRDi with Automatic Climate Control...

There is no loss in power with A/c + 5 ppl in the CRDi ... I think the torque of the motor makes up for that...

There are blowers in my i20 also, below the front seat, for rear passengers...

P.s. I stuck in a temperature sensor in the central blowers grill last week, the temp was 8-9 degree C. Is that good or bad?
OT:
Many moons ago Auto India would also test the effectiveness of the AC's of the cars they road test.
They would check the temperature at the grill.

They had famously declared that Baleno's AC could chill better than the Merc S-class.

But now with all (some models of Nano excluding) cars having AC and most of 'em being effective (i20 excluding) I guess no magazines perform an AC test.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:01   #199
BHPian

There's a new i20 1.2 Asta in my office complex and the silver centre console / vents don't look too bad in flesh, although I am sure the previous shade looked better.

The chrome grill seems to go well with the Berry Red color though. Or, let me put it this way, it doesn't look any worse than the erstwhile body colored grill. The ORVM indicators look decent, and better than the ones on the Fiesta for example.

Anyways, these changes certainly don't make the car look / feel better or more upmarket and so one wonders what the rationale behind these are!

Last edited by spindoc : 13th April 2010 at 00:02.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:05   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Well.. this is a August 2009 Asta CRDi with Automatic Climate Control...

There is no loss in power with A/c + 5 ppl in the CRDi ... I think the torque of the motor makes up for that...

There are blowers in my i20 also, below the front seat, for rear passengers...

P.s. I stuck in a temperature sensor in the central blowers grill last week, the temp was 8-9 degree C. Is that good or bad?
The new "era" CRDi version does not have ACC - its a manual A/C. I wonder if they have changed the compressor or just taken "out" the automation! The other versions are still with ACC.

Also need to confirm if the rear ducts are in the same location in the new i20. I was probably guessing in the centre (behind the handbrake console).

Regarding the temperature sensor, 8-9 is on the higher side. Did you check in the front main duct as well to compare? Keep the blower on minimum speed (if that can be possible with ACC). Maybe the A/C needs servicing/cleaning/gas refill. My Zen (which has another infamously inefficient A/C) had the same problem - central ducts were showing 14-15 degrees. After servicing and replacing the choked evaporator coil, cooling went to 1.5 degrees before the compressor cut off!
Old 13th April 2010, 00:56   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Regarding the temperature sensor, 8-9 is on the higher side. Did you check in the front main duct as well to compare? Keep the blower on minimum speed (if that can be possible with ACC). Maybe the A/C needs servicing/cleaning/gas refill.
The car is 8 months old... so dont think servicing/gas/dirt would be the problem...

What the correct way to check. Put the temp to lowest (16 C), put blower on minimum, and then see whats the least I get?

Should i insert the sensor inside the central A/C duct, or keep it just outside the grill?
Old 13th April 2010, 13:29   #202
BANNED

lets talk about the i20 new commercial for a bit...the blue led dash display is looking quite cool
Old 13th April 2010, 15:37   #203
BHPian

I am very surprised that most of the i20 ownership threads are silent about the AC issue. I browsed through various ownership reviews and found no mention of the inefficient AC. It seems the i20 is failing the "Indian Summer" test !!
Old 13th April 2010, 15:50   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvDdicted View Post
lets talk about the i20 new commercial for a bit...the blue led dash display is looking quite cool
Regressing a little bit.

I spoke to a colleague of mine who owns an i20 asta. He said he didnt have problems with the AC! He even took it to Mangalore, which is quite hot. And Bangalore too is quite hot nowadays.

He said he takes a few steps as soon as he steps into the car(if the car has been parked in the sunlight for a long time ). He drives for some time with all windows down so that the hot air collected inside moves out and is replaced by fresh air. Since the car is moving the fresh air would be cooler.

Also, sometimes he turns on the blower at full speed which aids the expulsion of hot air. After sometime he closes on the windows and turns on the ACC/manual AC with desired speed and coolness. He said normally it would take some 3-5 minutes to cool if it was extremely hot.

So i don't think it is that big and a prevalent issue.

Last edited by iPai : 13th April 2010 at 15:51. Reason: some additions
Old 13th April 2010, 16:26   #205
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
This is getting a bit lame from Hyundai now.

Whenever they want to launch a new variant they introduce some decent features but completely screw up the aesthetics.

The silver centre panel and the silver audio unit and now with the chrome grille look atrocious.

They have been doing this fairly regularly. The getz facelift made it look better but they decided to add beige and fake wood dash which messed it up completely.

The verna was decent till they got that godawful chrome grille and that disgusting chrome strip on the side.

Looks like next in line will be the i10 to get chromefied by Hyundai.
This is very true.

The only decent facelift from hyundai is Santro to Santro Xing.

From then on they have been screwing up all the upgrades (so called) . Even the much anticipated xing upgrade some 3-5 months back was again a screw up.

All they learnt is to insert chrome grill
Old 13th April 2010, 16:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Regressing a little bit.

I spoke to a colleague of mine who owns an i20 asta. He said he didnt have problems with the AC! He even took it to Mangalore, which is quite hot. And Bangalore too is quite hot nowadays.

He said he takes a few steps as soon as he steps into the car(if the car has been parked in the sunlight for a long time ). He drives for some time with all windows down so that the hot air collected inside moves out and is replaced by fresh air. Since the car is moving the fresh air would be cooler.

Also, sometimes he turns on the blower at full speed which aids the expulsion of hot air. After sometime he closes on the windows and turns on the ACC/manual AC with desired speed and coolness. He said normally it would take some 3-5 minutes to cool if it was extremely hot.

So i don't think it is that big and a prevalent issue.
I second this approach, this is not only for i20, for any car. I used to do the same thing.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:51   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
I am very surprised that most of the i20 ownership threads are silent about the AC issue. I browsed through various ownership reviews and found no mention of the inefficient AC. It seems the i20 is failing the "Indian Summer" test !!
I bought the car in August 2009, and this is the first summer for my car... Until peak summer, the A/c seemed effective!!
Hence did not mention in my thread... yet.

Now obviously, I am going to be very vocal about it, both on the forum and to hyundai!!
Old 13th April 2010, 17:20   #208
BHPian

Quote:
I bought the car in August 2009, and this is the first summer for my car... Until peak summer, the A/c seemed effective!!
Hence did not mention in my thread... yet.

Now obviously, I am going to be very vocal about it, both on the forum and to hyundai!!
But Abhij, have you practised some of the steps i mentioned in my post. I follow those for my i10. Works fine for me. Try it on the i20. Let us all know. In spite of that if the AC is ineffective, then you can definitely bring it to Hyundai's and everybody's notice.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:27   #209
BHPian

I have no issues with the A/C in my i20. I start the car, roll down the driver side window, drive for 100-200 meters, roll back the windows, set the A/C in Automatic mode (temperature is set to 21 degrees) and set the recirculate mode. One can easily feel the blower running at full speed initially and then it becomes silent. Works like a charm. I am surprised so many people have issues with the A/C.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:53   #210
BHPian

Apart from the cosmetic mods, i don't think Hyundai has seriously done anything to enhance the appeal of the car. Just fluffy cosmetic mods. Heck they have given ACC in the Magna but no longer have adjustable head restraints. People might say i am cribbing, but they have just substituted instead of performing addition! It was never value for money, it still isn't.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks