Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 19:57   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Apart from the cosmetic mods, i don't think Hyundai has seriously done anything to enhance the appeal of the car. Just fluffy cosmetic mods. Heck they have given ACC in the Magna but no longer have adjustable head restraints. People might say i am cribbing, but they have just substituted instead of performing addition! It was never value for money, it still isn't.
+ 1 to that. ABS has also disappeared in diesel Magna. In a 5yr ownership, what difference does it make whether the fascia and the grill is silver or black, whether side indicators are on the fender or ORVMs?. Punto and now the Figo are much better value.
The on road price of diesel magna in my town in 7.67lacs and Figo diesel Titanium is 6.4lacs
I am happy to crib.Hyundai is looting people with some cosmetic features.
Old 13th April 2010, 23:15   #212
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Regressing a little bit.

I spoke to a colleague of mine who owns an i20 asta. He said he didnt have problems with the AC! He even took it to Mangalore, which is quite hot. And Bangalore too is quite hot nowadays.

He said he takes a few steps as soon as he steps into the car(if the car has been parked in the sunlight for a long time ). He drives for some time with all windows down so that the hot air collected inside moves out and is replaced by fresh air. Since the car is moving the fresh air would be cooler.

Also, sometimes he turns on the blower at full speed which aids the expulsion of hot air. After sometime he closes on the windows and turns on the ACC/manual AC with desired speed and coolness. He said normally it would take some 3-5 minutes to cool if it was extremely hot.

So i don't think it is that big and a prevalent issue.
Tried all the tricks, it is still pathetic, as I had said somewhere else Hyundai has just fitted air blowers and no compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I bought the car in August 2009, and this is the first summer for my car... Until peak summer, the A/c seemed effective!!
Hence did not mention in my thread... yet.

Now obviously, I am going to be very vocal about it, both on the forum and to hyundai!!
I too will be taking this matter with the Hyundai guys, just waiting for the car to do another 1K kms.

People who are used to the colder climates, wont find the i20 AC effective at all, and people who are used to the hotter climates might find the AC to be OK as being mentioned by a few people here.

The AC issue has pissed me off so much, that I have started to hate my car. Looks like this is my last Hyundai
Old 14th April 2010, 12:01   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
+ 1 to that. ABS has also disappeared in diesel Magna. In a 5yr ownership, what difference does it make whether the fascia and the grill is silver or black, whether side indicators are on the fender or ORVMs?. Punto and now the Figo are much better value.
The on road price of diesel magna in my town in 7.67lacs and Figo diesel Titanium is 6.4lacs
I am happy to crib.Hyundai is looting people with some cosmetic features.

Agreed. The Punto and Figo both offer a better deal. The saving grace is Hyundai's reputation for service.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:34   #214
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this has been discussed earlier or not. I saw an advert in today Ahmedabad Mirror about i20. the diesel variant says 6 Speed M/T. is it true? or is it a print error?

you may read it in the attached advert.

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
New I20 1.2 variants to be added soon - Full features details-getimage.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 14th April 2010 at 12:36.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:02   #215
BANNED

I think you have not read this thread yet. Its already mentioned here
Old 14th April 2010, 15:07   #216

i20 delivery is very slow in Bhutan....anyone experiencing the same in other countries. It seems they have not even delivered the 2009 November order. Here is the news: Car delivery delay leads to cancellation - Bhutan Observer - Bhutan News. Now it seems some are canceling their orders. I will wait till April end before I cancel mine. It seems Hyundai is all hype and no show.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:24   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
I am very surprised that most of the i20 ownership threads are silent about the AC issue. I browsed through various ownership reviews and found no mention of the inefficient AC. It seems the i20 is failing the "Indian Summer" test !!
Amogh, check out This Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 16:29   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Amogh, check out This Thread
Thanks techno !! That helps.

Amogh
Old 14th April 2010, 18:39   #219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by princi View Post
i20 delivery is very slow in Bhutan....anyone experiencing the same in other countries. It seems they have not even delivered the 2009 November order. Here is the news: Car delivery delay leads to cancellation - Bhutan Observer - Bhutan News. Now it seems some are canceling their orders. I will wait till April end before I cancel mine. It seems Hyundai is all hype and no show.
At present i20 is manufactured only from its Indian Plant. From May 2010 onwards Turkey Plant will fulfill the needs of European Customers. Till then i think the delay continues.

Last edited by wildon : 14th April 2010 at 18:46.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:54   #220
BHPian

Ok, had the same problem (ineffective A/C - Black Hyundai i20, 1.2 Asta ) and now have the solution.

1) Took the car to my dealer (Trident, Bangalore) and explained that the A/C was not cooling properly, the blower air was less than my Santro's and that there was an occasional hissing sound from the vents.

2) Was told that this is due to excessive leaves and dirt clogging up the air filter. Car was taken to the workshop, brought back in 15 minutes after the A/C filter was cleaned.

3) Voila! the A/C is back to awesome - the blower works perfectly, the back seats are cooled properly, all is well.

4) Asked about a permanent solution: Unfortunately I park on a very dusty road, with mud flying all over the place and small leaves as well. I always used the A/C in "outside" mode and apparently that's the cause.

Was told by the service manager to ALWAYS leave the A/C in "re-circulate" mode to prevent the filter from getting choked. Apparently even on re-circulate mode, the climate control mechanism will occasionally bring in a bit of air from outside as well, so no fears of CO2 buildup.

That's it - to summarize - your A/C is (probably) not cooling well because of a dirty filter. Get your A/C filter cleaned, it takes 15 mins, and use the "re-circulate" mode on the climate control at all times.
Old 19th April 2010, 21:42   #221
BHPian

Saw the interiors today - they are not as bad as people are making them out to be. Although I too preferred the older look. Why did they change it? They were selling quite well - if it ain't broke, why fix it? But I do appreciate them giving a USB stick point in the Magna now. I don't care much about Auto Air-Con - but good to see it in Magna.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:52   #222
BHPian

Any software problems? (Keyless locking not blinking lights)

Guys,

We just took delivery of a new (Apr 2010) model Hyundai i20 Asta - will post a separate review soon.

There seems to be a problem in the keyless locking. According to the user manual, pressing the lock button on the the keyless entry device is supposed to blink the external lights once. Unlocking is working as supposed - it blinks twice after pressing the unlock button. But pressing the lock button locks the car but does not blink the lights; So there is no visual or aural feedback for successful locking. This seems to be a software problem or a problem with one of the door sensors.

The salesman said they have observed this in all the deliveries of new i20 Asta and Sportz models with keyless entry and they are also confused about this behavior. Can other people who have taken the new models please comment?

I am wondering if this is a design flaw or or a defective component in the car?

Last edited by vishwas : 24th April 2010 at 18:59. Reason: typos
Old 24th April 2010, 23:08   #223
BANNED

^^^ The hood switch may not be pressed enough, so check the rubber bushes of hood.
Old 25th April 2010, 11:36   #224
BHPian

This is ridiculous! Hyundai needs to bring back the manual gearbox, diesel Asta-O with the six airbags and install a much more powerful A/C compressor and blower. And if it's not possible with such a small engine, then they need to offer more powerful petrol and diesel engines. To hell with the fuel consumption.

Nobody wants to spend so much money on a car that has a weak engine, a weak a/c and weak safety features. Despite the excellent safety features of the petrol 1.2 Asta-O, I cannot recommend this car anymore to people if what many of you are saying is true about the weak air conditioner. And I am sad that the diesel is not offered anymore with six airbags. At least they could make it a special order car, if they are willing to fix the a/c.

The previous version lineup of the i20 was fantastic with petrol, diesel, and automatic versions getting the optional Asta-O trim level. All they had to do was fix the a/c and the i20 would have retained the crown for best car under ten lakhs. But the latest i20 lineup is awful and now we can add the weak a/c to it.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:56   #225
BHPian

I have an i20, and I find the ac quite effective. No issues. Infact I prefer the i20 ac to the civic ac.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed