Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 18:53   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
In delhi & noida these counters just get stolen at 3 AM in the night, I have seen them being stolen by 2 thugs who got a ladder with them & were trying to steal the counter one night @ 2:30 AM
stolen WTH do these thugs do with these counters; sell them to roadside technicians or what?
Old 26th March 2010, 18:59   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
stolen WTH do these thugs do with these counters; sell them to roadside technicians or what?
Never asked them

I have also seen thugs stealing tubelights from those green bus stops that are there in delhi, They used to tear that green plastic down(on which the name of the stop is written) to steal tubelights, Now the delhi govt has replaced that green plastic sheet with a metal one & since metal is opaque so the govt. has decided to remove tubelights also from them. So now we get bus stops w/o having an illuminated sign at night
Old 26th March 2010, 19:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Could not help but reply to this: Maybe they install them in road-side dhaba toilets. Once the door is latched and people go about their business it starts counting down. Once the time is up, auto human engulfing flush is activated
Old 27th March 2010, 07:51   #19
BHPian

On the contrary, I see counters coming at more signals in Pune. And, of course I find them very useful to switch off the engine and save on petrol.
Old 27th March 2010, 23:23   #20
BHPian

so it seems the counters from Mumbai and Bangalore are being moved to Pune
Old 29th March 2010, 14:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Could not help but reply to this: Maybe they install them in road-side dhaba toilets. Once the door is latched and people go about their business it starts counting down. Once the time is up, auto human engulfing flush is activated
HA HA HA, going about the business with a counter ticking above your head, I am visualizing it
Old 29th March 2010, 15:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

onelife, same case is here in ahmedabad as well, all the timer screens are being removed from all signals after keeping them for about a year, and no one knows the reason why.It was a great initiative for traffic conditions as people would save fuel as well as rash drivings with timers on.Hope to see it back on signals.
Old 29th March 2010, 18:55   #23
BHPian

These counters need regular periodic maintenance.

Sometime back, I was at a major junction in Bangalore. The counter started counting down from 120. When it reached around 30 or so, it went back to 120 and again started counting down. Now, already impatient public started driving from all direction and it was complete chaos. It took cops more than 40 minutes to regulate traffic.

Also, the LED's in these counters go kaput frequently and need to be replaced. Otherwise, counters 8 look like 0, counter 1 disappears, and whole thing become junk characters, leading to lot of confusion among waiting motorists.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

these counters helped saved fuel also. I can see many people switching off their engines at long signals.
But the Counters seem to still be here in Bangalore.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
These counters need regular periodic maintenance.
There was one at Banashankari, where out of the 3 digits only the last digit was working. It was fun watching few brainless people getting ready to take off when timer reached 5,4,2,1 only to realize that it is again 0,9,8.. LOL! People were so impatient that they prepared themselves to take off, again and again. And after 7 to 8 times, it turned green.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

OT here, but i somehow hate taking off before the signal turns green. sometimes i am the first or the second car in the line & all the cars zoom off before the light turns green or when the indicator reaches 5-10 seconds & i will still be waiting. the car in my back starts honking furiously (as if i have committed a huge crime!). and when i move, the car in the rear comes to my side, usually from left & gives me a very notorious stare & that actually boils my blood. you "beep beep", if you are not aware of basic driving sense, thats not my fault, why are you giving me that look?

so to avoid this, what i usually do is, as soon as the light turns green & if the road ahead is empty, i use my car's all 120 horses & zoom off so that the car in the rear cant reach me. or if that not possible (if the rear car is a high end sedan or a modded swift for example!), i immediately swerve to the left lane & give him (that desperado!) way to overtake me (as if i am saying "sorry, please excuse me for following traffic rules"!!)
Old 30th March 2010, 17:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
OT here, but i somehow hate taking off before the signal turns green. sometimes i am the first or the second car in the line & all the cars zoom off before the light turns green or when the indicator reaches 5-10 seconds & i will still be waiting. the car in my back starts honking furiously (as if i have committed a huge crime!). and when i move, the car in the rear comes to my side, usually from left & gives me a very notorious stare & that actually boils my blood. you "beep beep", if you are not aware of basic driving sense, thats not my fault, why are you giving me that look?
I just love to get their blood boiling and I totally ignore they honks and swears. I have learnt to ignore honks and stares completely. Its my ride/drive and I'll enjoy it the way I want without breaking any rules.

Prajwal
Old 30th March 2010, 17:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I just love to get their blood boiling and I totally ignore they honks and swears. I have learnt to ignore honks and stares completely. Its my ride/drive and I'll enjoy it the way I want without breaking any rules.

Prajwal
+1 to it.

Earlier I would get upset with such stares, however, now I am inspired by a hindi film dialogue "Tension Lene Ka Nahi, Dene Ka"; I return these stares with a victorious smile or wink.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:30   #29
BHPian

The only thing I am scared of are the taxi drivers who get pissed and they try to overtake out of vengence u even if there is no space ahead of u. And this is when I am riding my bike. I ride like I am in a car and I like to ride it in the centre of my lane and in traffic junctions/signals I like to stop right in the middle of the car width that's ahead of me. I hate wiggling through the gaps in the traffic junctions and most drivers get upset if I don't wiggle through, just so they can go further by a couple of meters

Prajwal
Old 30th March 2010, 17:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the folks from bangy who responded here forgot to mention the fact that most of the signals have a funny siren installed. Every-time its your turn to move on the siren starts off and with that our impatient motorists start honking.

However most of the signals around the city here still have the timers installed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks