Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 00:42   #226
BHPian

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The numbers look disappointing (particularly for the diesel )in front of the new Verna which comes with a 125 bhp diesel monster (35 BHP or 40% more power), particularly considering both might be priced similarly.

If Hyundai can sort out the ride and handling, the Fiesta will stand no chance given that we already have the diesel Vento as well.

Agreed, Ford diesels have less turbolag but when we want outright performance or a better top-end, BHP does count. Though it is not the only thing in the driving experience, it is foolish to ignore it either!

The name of this forum is so because of a reason.
Performance is a complete package - bhp, weight and handling. Though I think Hyundai will give Ford a run for its money, the fiesta may finally turn out to be the better performer. The winner will most probably be determined on $$.
Old 21st February 2011, 01:21   #227
BHPian

Given that the current Verna diesel, despite its not-so-great looks and poor dynamics (vs the fiesta) is still very popular, methinks the new one with better looks and improved power package can certainly do well - even if it is (expectedly!) not close to the new Fiesta on driving dynamics.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:32   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Looks like Ford have put the hatch on the back burner. Any idea when it is expected? There is also the question on the length of the car. Does it qualify as a sub 4 metre car?
I guess thats the right decision from Ford. The Fiesta is a modern car, and in its hatch avatar could negatively impact the Figo. Ford wouldn't want anything to go wrong with their current golden goose.
Old 21st February 2011, 09:21   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Performance is a complete package - bhp, weight and handling. Though I think Hyundai will give Ford a run for its money, the fiesta may finally turn out to be the better performer. The winner will most probably be determined on $$.
I agree - the overall performance can be judged only when the respective cars are driven.
Right now, we have only the numbers and my comment was based on that. The dynamics etc. can be judged only later.
I am hoping Hyundai will not screw up the dynamics part as it had done so often in the past. If the new Verna is good handler, we will have a true diesel rocket in the segment.
Common guys, a car with 30-40% more power and torque (compared to the segment) and almost as much power as the Cruze/Laura diesels (power to weight or torque to weight ratio may be better as well ) needs due respect. The Fiesta power and torque numbers look disappointing for sure!
Another point - The Linea D is an excellent handler though relatively underpowered and has the best ride quality. So, what exactly will be the USP of the Fiesta? Does anyone expect a killer pricing as the Figo? I don't think it will happen though!
Old 21st February 2011, 16:11   #230
BHPian

I've noticed most Ford Fiesta owners tend to give more importance to handling over sheer acceleration and Verna owners the other way around. I think Vento has gotten the balance right, it is a pity they are unable to manage their waiting periods in a better manner.

Being a Getz CRDi owner, I personally can't wait for the new Verna CRDi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I agree - the overall performance can be judged only when the respective cars are driven.
Right now, we have only the numbers and my comment was based on that. The dynamics etc. can be judged only later.
I am hoping Hyundai will not screw up the dynamics part as it had done so often in the past. If the new Verna is good handler, we will have a true diesel rocket in the segment.
Common guys, a car with 30-40% more power and torque (compared to the segment) and almost as much power as the Cruze/Laura diesels (power to weight or torque to weight ratio may be better as well ) needs due respect. The Fiesta power and torque numbers look disappointing for sure!
Another point - The Linea D is an excellent handler though relatively underpowered and has the best ride quality. So, what exactly will be the USP of the Fiesta? Does anyone expect a killer pricing as the Figo? I don't think it will happen though!
All the new phones are moving to touch screen (including Lava and Micromax), hopefully Ford offers all variants with a touchscreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
wow! you absolutely guessed it right! Its actually designed in such a way so as to resemble the layout of a mobile phone.

Last edited by Dippy : 21st February 2011 at 18:09. Reason: back to back posts. Please use the multi quote option instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks
Old 21st February 2011, 17:19   #231
Senior - BHPian

I just checked with one of Bangalore's ford dealers. He claims that the new ford fiesta may be launched only by May/june this year and would be priced at 10-12 lakh range. He also went on to state that the current fiesta will not be phased out. I think the new one may not carry the fiesta tag at all.This may work well. They might even reduce the current fiesta's price a little bit, may be about knock off 50-70k, price it at 20k more than dzire / manza and it would do very well. Then place the new fiesta bang next to the vento / sx4/ ANHC and then see it fly off the shelves. But any attempt to create a premium pricing may not go down well.
Old 21st February 2011, 17:55   #232
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Yeah, I wonder why a 1.6 common rail with only 90HP when we have 1.3s producing the same amount of HP.
That small "1.3" engine churning out 90 BHP also has a heavy duty turbo. Result? The inconvenient turbo-lag. Compare it to a Logan's 1.5 turbo-diesel, or the Figo's humble output from the 1.4 Tdci, and gauge the stunning improvement in driveability from "milder" turbo applications. Take the Altis Diesel as an example : Even Toyota couldn't manage to give it decent driveability. VW got the Vento configuration spot-on though; The torque-king of its segment and also one with nearly zero turbo-lag.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2011, 19:11   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I just checked with one of Bangalore's ford dealers. He claims that the new ford fiesta may be launched only by May/june this year and would be priced at 10-12 lakh range.
According to a friend of mine working for Ford, he says that the new Fiesta sedan will most probably be launched by August, since they are themselves not completely prepared for it yet.

I hope we the NVH levels for the diesel is lower in the sedan version since the European version sounded a little harsher to me as compared to their previous model.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:21   #234
BANNED

Hello All -

An update from the Motoroids website:

Official: Ford to launch the Fiesta sedan in India in 2011

After months, erm, years of speculation, the official word is out. Ford’s India President and MD Michael Boneham has confirmed that the company is bringing its globally acclaimed Fiesta to India in the sedan guise. Incidentally the news comes out on the same day when Maruti Suzuki has launched the diesel version of its SX4 sedan, a car which would be a direct competitor to the Fiesta when it arrived here. The new generation Fiesta would be the first in a series of eight new global products that Ford plans to introduce in India by the middle of this decade.
Announcing the new Fiesta’s eagerly awaited arrival, Michael Boneham, president and managing director, Ford India said, “We are delighted the new Fiesta is coming to India. It will provide Indian customers a premium sedan that reflects their personality in terms of style, technology and performance, and will add a new level of diversity and dynamism to our showrooms.”

The new Ford Fiesta will be built at Ford’s manufacturing plant in Chennai. Known for its great handling, ride and features, the Fiesta sedan can be expected to become a game changer of sorts in its segment. With the advent of the Vento, the SX4 diesel and now the official announcement of the Fiesta’s launch, the current leader of the segment, City is under pressure.

Mr. Boneham also confirmed that the current gen Fiesta will not be taken off the shelf and will sell alongside the new Fiesta. “The new Fiesta will augment the current range of Fiesta vehicles in India, which remain an integral part of our product line-up” he said.
The company has also released the ‘Fiesta’ logo which will be emblazoned on the car when it is launched in the country. The new, global Fiesta, which is available in more than 100 markets throughout the world, has sold more than one million units worldwide.

More Action is always Welcome !!

Happy Motoring.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:54   #235
Team-BHP Support

The ford dealership just sent me a sms (response to my query) that the new Fiesta is expected to be launched in the 2nd half of the year.
And he mentioned that it is a high-end car
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:11   #236
BANNED

New Fiesta is coming this year, Its OFFICIAL now!

Ok guys i bring you some great news. Its official from the company's side. The new Fiesta is going to be available this year during Q3.

I can't specify the month but it is definitely Q3 as of now.

This news is 100% genuine and official and exclusive to team-bhp as of now.

PS - Sorry i have not been replying to your mails and msgs people but i was in the US since the last 4 odd months. Now I am back and i would be replying.
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:49   #237
BHPian

Thats great! Any news on the hatch?
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:59   #238
BANNED

Well I still don't know whether its the sedan or the hatch that is getting launched but the last time i was there in Chennai, More work was being carried on the hatch. So I'm guessing hatch but the sedan should also get launched pretty soon after that.
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:01   #239
BHPian

oh, thats even better! With all the hype surrounding the sedan, I was starting to think that they had dropped the idea of the hatch! Thanks
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:04   #240
BHPian

@Mustang.101 Are we likely to get the dual-clutch AT in either the hatch or the sedan?

Thanks,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed