Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2011, 09:14   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Looks like Ford wants to repeat what Fiat did with the Linea T Jet by delaying the car till the competition (read city/vento) is too well established. A launch that is not a launch, a brochure that is not a brochure (just a few pics with tidbits of info), making people wait will make people buy the city/vento/sx4...whatever happened to the early bird getting the worm?
On the other hand, how can they take bookings without announcing what is on offer the specs and trims/variants, is it that people are just booking quantity one Fiesta on faith alone? What if it turns out to be overpriced, underspec-ed? For a car that's probably been the most awaited over the last year, the fans deserve a little more.
I believe they are delaying the prices to see how Verna is priced and then competitively price the NFS ! I guess Hyundai is also thinking of the same ! I sort of think that these two cars might take a handful of customers away from the Vento !
Old 16th April 2011, 09:54   #857
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Mustang: was there any thoughts on adding start stop in fiesta? I would count it as better system in terms of fuel efficiency in chocked traffic than cruise control!
I do not know why they did not put the start/stop button in the car, it was there in the car which i tested. It may make it into the top end version.

However start/stop button & keyless entry does also have its cons. We in India do not change our batteries till they completely go dead and if the car battery is discharged, how would one get into the car. and even if one does manage to get into the car, the dhakka start option does not exist.

Start/Stop feature is certainly a feature that most of us (including me) desire but i have seen people facing problems with the button and keyless entry. We had an issue at the plant also last year with the blue fiesta hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I believe they are delaying the prices to see how Verna is priced and then competitively price the NFS ! I guess Hyundai is also thinking of the same ! I sort of think that these two cars might take a handful of customers away from the Vento !
No, actually a lot of people are stating that we are waiting for the verna and all but the reality is that prices do get fixed a lot earlier than what you guys think. Our general strategy to launch a car involves, showing it to the public in stage 1, announcing the prices and variants in stage 2. It was the same way with the figo also.

So basically the pricing of Verna is irrelevant now as the big bosses would have already decided the prices. The wait is just for the customers to check out the car first and thus this is only marketing.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:42   #858
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
I sort of think that these two cars might take a handful of customers away from the Vento !
Or if they are still keeping their mum about pricing & variants (dead locked with each other), few interested customers might fly to with Vento.

At least we will be getting the official review in next week (I guess Sid mentioned something about this). Wait was that for fiesta of verna. (God, I'm completely messed up with new fiesta, verna and linea threads. Too eager to buy one now)

EDIT: Oops. It would be Verna's review to be uploaded by next week. Sorry if I caused any misunderstanding.

Last edited by xPK : 16th April 2011 at 11:07. Reason: Correcting the information
Old 16th April 2011, 11:52   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
However start/stop button & keyless entry does also have its cons. We in India do not change our batteries till they completely go dead and if the car battery is discharged, how would one get into the car. and even if one does manage to get into the car, the dhakka start option does not exist.
Electronics surely have their limitations when they go bad. All cars which come with keyless systems have plan b for times when the systems fails or the battery goes dead, like in the BMWs a small key is hidden in the key fob.

Similarly the AT cars have a switch to disengage the transmission if the car is stuck in transmission or battery/engine is dead and car needs to towed. Here again flatbed truck is better approach than getting a towvan.

Regarding push starting the car- It's not recommended to push start a MPFI/CRDI car, it can damage the electronics and the catalytic converter will get damaged. The best approach is keep a pair of jump start cables in your car boot all the time, arranging a donor car is easier task.

To me the Keyless start/stop button does not matter much, i would rather prefer more safety features.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:06   #860
Senior - BHPian

Mustang,
Are there any additions to the dealer shops happening to coincide with the Fiesta launch similar to the Figo launch.

I know just like many mentioned it seems that Ford is waiting for Verna price, but all are forgetting one point.
The Figo launch was also in a similar patter, the reveal at one point and later launch the car along with specs and prices. I am guessing the Verna launch is just incidental
Old 16th April 2011, 13:23   #861
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Mustang,
Are there any additions to the dealer shops happening to coincide with the Fiesta launch similar to the Figo launch.

I know just like many mentioned it seems that Ford is waiting for Verna price, but all are forgetting one point.
The Figo launch was also in a similar patter, the reveal at one point and later launch the car along with specs and prices. I am guessing the Verna launch is just incidental
Yes new dealers are being planned and will be opening soon. No details on the location yet.
Old 16th April 2011, 17:58   #862
Senior - BHPian

Went to Select City Walk & was amazed to find that the Fiesta was under wraps! Asked the Security Guard there & he said it would be on display again tomorrow

Can't for the life of me figure which bright spark at Ford took this decision, considering the number of footfalls in a mall on a Saturday. I want to see the car so I will probably go back but a lot of others may just get seriously pissed off!!!
Old 16th April 2011, 20:49   #863
BHPian

Quote:
But the icing on the cake is that you end up paying just the actual amount of the car even by the end of your EMIs right? That means no interest at all paid and you save all those cash when you go by company lease program.
OT..

But don't you think you offset the savings when you buy back the car ? you become the second owner and the resale value would already have hit the abyss !! + you pay VAT during buyback !!!

I have lost and not gained during the last lease experience.

But still worth if it's helping you get the new fiesta early on
Old 16th April 2011, 21:58   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
So you mean, Ford does not have a Key?. And has only the remote?.

IIRC, cruze had both the options. A Key and the remote, which facilitated keyless entry and push start/stop. We could choose either.

I believe it might be the same, if so, dhakka start is possible. In any case, even my IKON will not 'start'(No ECU=No Ignition) if battery is completely down.
Old 16th April 2011, 22:00   #865
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
In any case, even my IKON will not 'start'(No ECU=No Ignition) if battery is completely down.
I did not get what you meant by the above line as the Ikon does have an ECU and i have dhakka started it when i owned it.
Old 16th April 2011, 22:11   #866
BHPian

Does anyone feel sad that the european look fiesta was not launched?
New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120-fordfiestaconcept4.jpg
Image from
Ford Fiesta For Rent in Singapore | Car Rental Singapore
Old 16th April 2011, 22:24   #867
BANNED

^ This is a 3 door model and it would never be launched in a 3 door version in India. I am sure you understand the reasons. Otherwise the car is the same from the front, you are finding it a bit different as the pic that you posted does not have a no. plate place in the lower front grille.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 16th April 2011 at 22:26.
Old 16th April 2011, 22:29   #868
Team-BHP Support

Given that Figo is already doing numbers, how will Ford place the Fiesta hatch?
1.4D and 1.2P does service for Figo. Hence it does not make sense to have the Fiesta hatch with the same engine spec.

Hence the only logical thing then is the same spec as the new NFS. If that is the case, then what would Ford's take on its pricing? Would be same, if not a bit lower than NFS?
Old 16th April 2011, 22:53   #869
BHPian

Ampere, Mustang - I know and agree on the logical reasons. It was just a little wishful thinking. A limited edition 1.6 perhaps.

The boot on the indian version really kills the design.
Old 16th April 2011, 23:39   #870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Given that Figo is already doing numbers, how will Ford place the Fiesta hatch?
1.4D and 1.2P does service for Figo. Hence it does not make sense to have the Fiesta hatch with the same engine spec.

Hence the only logical thing then is the same spec as the new NFS. If that is the case, then what would Ford's take on its pricing? Would be same, if not a bit lower than NFS?
The Figo is positioned a notch below the i20, the Polo and the like. My guess is that Ford will introduce the Fiesta hatch and place it in the segment above the Figo i.e. the i20, Polo, etc. They could, in all probability, pack it with features that are absent in the Figo. I'm not sure about the choice of motors though.

I don't think it should be a problem though. Ford, sells the Fiesta 1.4 diesel and the face-lifted Ikon with the same engine, so sharing the powerplant across the range shouldn't be an issue.

So my take on the pricing of the Fiesta hatch would be somewhere between 6 lakhs to 8 lakhs or so, if it is introduced in our market. And the possibilities of it gracing Indian roads are very real. Ford will want to capture a share of the market, especially after the success the Figo has seen. The Fusion was, unfortunately, too good and too early for our market. But the premium-hatch segment has matured and this would be the right time to bring in the Fiesta hatch.

Plus, if I remember correctly, the hatch was spotted testing on Indian soil, along with the Fiesta sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post

The boot on the indian version really kills the design.
I couldn't agree with you more. They've butchered the beautiful lines of the Fiesta hatch and made it look very ungainly and disproportionate. It reminds me of the original NHC when it was first introduced.

EDIT: By the way, that's the pre-production, 'auto-show' version of the actual 3-door Fiesta, which is toned down for production.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2011 at 23:48.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed