Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 03:50   #931
Team-BHP Support

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
A Nissan dealer sales person, trying to convince me that the single reverse light in the Micra is good enough said that there is some logic behind it.
Cars sold in Europe usually have this setting in the rear - one side (usually driver-side if I'm not mistaken) fog lamp, other side reverse light.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:31   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I also never thought that ford India would go the other car manufacturers' way by providing a single reverse light.

I do not think much can be done though, i do not think it is a cost cutting thing as many cars that are said to be "premium" also have this, eg: polo, sx4, fabia, Vento(?) and many others. There must be some stupid & dull European logic behind it, I do not think it is just cost cutting.

I can only think of negatives about this, does anyone know the positive?
I think the single reverse & fog function should have something to do with packaging constraints and surely on cost cutting. More so, the regulatory requirements all around the world aid this. That being the case, why not do it and save a few bucks...???
Old 19th April 2011, 07:02   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I also never thought that ford India would go the other car manufacturers' way by providing a single reverse light.

I can only think of negatives about this, does anyone know the positive?
Our 2000 Ikon also had a single reverse light. Maybe the Europeans are so used to the parking sensors and reverse cameras, they don't like to turn and see. Kaun mundi ghumayega? On a serious note, it does kill the design. I can't think of any positives!
Old 19th April 2011, 07:55   #934
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Our 2000 Ikon also had a single reverse light. Maybe the Europeans are so used to the parking sensors and reverse cameras, they don't like to turn and see. Kaun mundi ghumayega? On a serious note, it does kill the design. I can't think of any positives!
I also owned a 2002 Ikon, It did have 2 reverse lights.
Old 19th April 2011, 08:36   #935
BHPian

NHC Vtec has Reverse Light on one side and a Red-Fog Light on another side
Old 19th April 2011, 08:57   #936
BHPian

Ford Ikon initially came with only one reverse light, but in 2002, when they came up with the face lifted NXT version, they sorted that out and gave the conventional 2 reverse lamps. I thought Ford learnt their lesson back then
Old 19th April 2011, 11:05   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
Ford Ikon initially came with only one reverse light, but in 2002, when they came up with the face lifted NXT version, they sorted that out and gave the conventional 2 reverse lamps. I thought Ford learnt their lesson back then
nxt versions of both 1.3 and 1.6 were launched in January 2003 at Imperial Hotel in Delhi.

The 2002 make Ikon also had 2 reverse lights.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:02   #938
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

No need to spend a lot of time writing post on the same topic. This 'single light' thing is prevalent in most Euro cars. Event the Jetta has single reversing light. Chill and let's discuss the interiors of the new Fiesta.

I still think that Ford is some way off when it comes to interior quality. I think Vento may still keep the honours as far as the interior quality goes, despite not having any of the plushness associated with a Euro car interior. Even the ANHV (Yes, I like the acronym) is reported to have better quality.

@Mustang:- The hatch is reported to come to life around the same time next year, right? Or is it later this year? Is this concrete news that the hatch will be launched? I mean, you and I both know it, there are many cars in the pipeline in this country that always remain in the pipeline but never come out. Also, will the hatch be competitively priced? Not a la-Jazz. Ford needs to know that costly hatches don't work in India, irrespective of how good they are The 'A hatch is a hatch' mentality isn't going anywhere soon.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:15   #939
BHPian

Even TATA Indica had only one reverse light when i bought it in 2004. Does this a real problem? I don't think so. I am not sure how a driver depend on reverse lamp to get his car reversed.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:19   #940
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,
@Mustang:- The hatch is reported to come to life around the same time next year, right? Or is it later this year? Is this concrete news that the hatch will be launched? I mean, you and I both know it, there are many cars in the pipeline in this country that always remain in the pipeline but never come out. Also, will the hatch be competitively priced? Not a la-Jazz. Ford needs to know that costly hatches don't work in India, irrespective of how good they are The 'A hatch is a hatch' mentality isn't going anywhere soon.
It may be launched next year but there is no concrete news as of now, Moreover i am in delhi and do not know what is the latest in Chennai.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:24   #941
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont mind the single light concept.
I just wish the rear lenses maintained symmetry.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:13   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Even TATA Indica had only one reverse light when i bought it in 2004. Does this a real problem? I don't think so. I am not sure how a driver depend on reverse lamp to get his car reversed.
It does help in darkness. I for one, don't turn my head but rather use the ORVMs & IRVM to reverse and check for the reflections. Having light on one side will not help us to see the objects on the other side while reversing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Exactly!!.. Norms are that you should have atleast one rear fog lamp, and reverse light.

Well, companies ought to provide, two of each, but they manage get through the norms with one of each, by just coloring/de-coloring the other side.
Now this rings a bell. So the norm is "must have" fog lights and reverse lights. By making one of the reverse light a "fog" light, they are eliminating the need of having separate slots / wiring / equipment etc required for having fog lamps at some other position. Cost cutting isnt it ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th April 2011 at 14:14.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:21   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It does help in darkness. I for one, don't turn my head but rather use the ORVMs & IRVM to reverse and check for the reflections. Having light on one side will not help us to see the objects on the other side while reversing.
I agree in toto. I too follow the same procedure for reversing.

Quote:
Now this rings a bell. So the norm is "must have" fog lights and reverse lights. By making one of the reverse light a "fog" light, they are eliminating the need of having separate slots / wiring / equipment etc required for having fog lamps at some other position. Cost cutting isnt it ?
Looks like. Otherwise, why would they have not followed the US model, which IMO looks more symmetrical?

My current Fiesta has 2 reversing lights and 2 fog lamps at the rear.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:29   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
nxt versions of both 1.3 and 1.6 were launched in January 2003 at Imperial Hotel in Delhi.

The 2002 make Ikon also had 2 reverse lights.
Ya ya my bad. I got confused. The two rear tail lights version came with the version of Ikon that had body coloured bumper strips, which came out in 2002 i suppose. Thanks for pointing it out Sugeeta
Old 19th April 2011, 14:51   #945
BHPian

Quote:
I too use the reflection of the reverse lights while near a wall or obstruction.
IMO Ford is thinking the Reverse Sensors that (hopefully) will be available in all variants of the NFS should eliminate the need to rely on "reflections" alone.

I hope they are right, but having never driven a vehicle with reverse sensors, I cannot confirm.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed