Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
1.6 TDCi turbodiesel
  • 1560 cc
  • 90 ps@4000 rpm
  • 212 nm torque@1750 rpm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Do not worry, we will be getting the 1.6 TDCi.
Any idea, what is the final state of tuning we will see the 1.6 TDCi in India? I mean will it be the spec that has been discussed like what @sidindica wrote.
Old 17th April 2011, 16:20   #887
BHPian

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
[u][b]I know many people think that cruise control is not something very useful in India - but what I have realised in my highway drives are, this can help you a lot !!
Agree as per my experience. I have come to appreciate the value of CruiseControl even with very short usage. My foot and ankle used to get pedal-happy again during 10-30 seconds break for ankle rotation and knee bend-stretch exercises.
Old 17th April 2011, 18:03   #888
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Any idea, what is the final state of tuning we will see the 1.6 TDCi in India? I mean will it be the spec that has been discussed like what @sidindica wrote.
We will be getting the 90 PS, 200 Nm version of the 1.6 TDCi.

Here is a little class for all you guys : Turbo Lag 101

Turbo Lag : The time required to bring the turbo up to a speed where it can function effectively is called turbo lag. This is noticed as a hesitation in throttle response when coming off idle. This is symptomatic of the time taken for the exhaust system driving the turbine to come to high pressure and for the turbine rotor to overcome its rotational inertia and reach the speed necessary to supply boost pressure.

People always ask me that why ford diesel engines have so less power than other manufacturers' diesel engines. Egs: 1.3 Multijet = 90 PS/190Nm and 1.4 TDCi = 68 BHP/160Nm

The reason is well pretty simple, we can also tune the ford 1.4 TDCi to give 100 PS of power & more torque but the fact is that drive-ability suffers a lot in this. Although the top end grunt increases but at the same time the turbo lag also increases exponentially.

So engines with higher turbo lag are better on clear highways and engines with very less turbo lag are better in the city.
Old 17th April 2011, 18:37   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turbo Lag : The time required to bring the turbo up to a speed where it can function effectively is called turbo lag. This is noticed as a hesitation in throttle response when coming off idle. This is symptomatic of the time taken for the exhaust system driving the turbine to come to high pressure and for the turbine rotor to overcome its rotational inertia and reach the speed necessary to supply boost pressure.
People always ask me that why ford diesel engines have so less power than other manufacturers' diesel engines. Egs: 1.3 Multijet = 90 PS/190Nm and 1.4 TDCi = 68 BHP/160Nm
The reason is well pretty simple, we can also tune the ford 1.4 TDCi to give 100 PS of power & more torque but the fact is that drive-ability suffers a lot in this. Although the top end grunt increases but at the same time the turbo lag also increases exponentially.
So engines with higher turbo lag are better on clear highways and engines with very less turbo lag are better in the city.
Agreed but if we compare the 1.6TDCi against Vento's TDi, the Vento surely has lot more torque 250 vs 200Nm and more power 105 vs 90BHp so definately will have a much better midrange and top end. Now among all the CRDi's here Vento has the minimum lag, infact no lag at all. So how much less can we expect the lag in Fiesta to be?
Secondly a Pete's box does increase power and torque in fiesta by quite an amount. But I haven't heard customers complaining with increased lag problem.

Can we have the torque graph please?

Last edited by oxyzen : 17th April 2011 at 18:39.
Old 17th April 2011, 18:44   #890
BANNED

Vento does have more turba lag than 1.4 TDCi ? Right?

The 1.6 TDCi has lesser turbo lag than 1.4 TDCi.

Here is your comparison.
Old 17th April 2011, 19:27   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Agreed but if we compare the 1.6TDCi against Vento's TDi, the Vento surely has lot more torque 250 vs 200Nm and more power 105 vs 90BHp so definately will have a much better midrange and top end. Now among all the CRDi's here Vento has the minimum lag, infact no lag at all. So how much less can we expect the lag in Fiesta to be?
Secondly a Pete's box does increase power and torque in fiesta by quite an amount. But I haven't heard customers complaining with increased lag problem.

Can we have the torque graph please?
Fiesta and Logan engines have close to zero turbo lag. Vento is good but definitely not better than the fiesta/logan. We will have to wait for the new fiesta to actually compare them. But if what Mustang says is true(that the new fiesta has lesser lag than the current one) we have a winner. Also the current fiesta handles better than the vento and the steering feedback in Vento left me disappointed. The new fiesta, according to the initial reviews will be ahead of Vento in ride and handling.
Old 17th April 2011, 19:50   #892
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
These questions arose a couple of times already on this thread. So what Mustang replied is the hatch is going to be more expensive to build than the sedan and hence he is not sure will they even bring it here. The price which he thinks the hatch can be placed only is equivalent or higher than the sedan which may not be a good thing to do in India. And even if it comes, I guess its better to equip it with the same spec as the sedan. But with news of Figo 1.6 [petrol] doing the rounds, the Fiesta hatch loses that USP as well if Figo 1.6 is launched.
Hey thanks for the summary. I think I would have missed it out. If they price it higher than the sedan, then yes it would be a sad story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oops.
So that doesn't sound very good now, does it.
I was really looking forward to the Fiesta hatch. In fact, I would have probably gone in for it too. How could anyone resist it? It's a fabulous looking car and should be loaded to the gills with features.
Same here. Even I was hoping it would come. My guess is that, out of those 7 new remaining releases, one of them would be a compact X-Over SUV (Kuga or ECO Sport), which may be in the 7-13L range. That I hope would satisfy the requirement to some extent (What say you @Mustang?)

About the torque: I guess whatever they lose in the torque, would be compensated in the mileage. Ford guys were claiming the same on the interview in NDTV.

And yes, I dont know why Siddarth @CNB keeps saying 1.4 Duratorq? Mustang had clarified earlier about the 1.6D quite at the start of the thread.

Last edited by ampere : 17th April 2011 at 19:52.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:01   #893
BHPian

I think I will agree with Mustang.101 here. Just checked the price catalog in FORD US website. The hatch is priced around 2k higher than the sedan sibling.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:14   #894
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Same here. Even I was hoping it would come. My guess is that, out of those 7 new remaining releases, one of them would be a compact X-Over SUV (Kuga or ECO Sport), which may be in the 7-13L range. That I hope would satisfy the requirement to some extent (What say you @Mustang?)

About the torque: I guess whatever they lose in the torque, would be compensated in the mileage. Ford guys were claiming the same on the interview in NDTV.

And yes, I dont know why Siddarth @CNB keeps saying 1.4 Duratorq? Mustang had clarified earlier about the 1.6D quite at the start of the thread.
A mini SUV is planned for India. Don't know which model though.

Lets just say that the host of CNB does not look into team-bhp.com.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:38   #895
Senior - BHPian

Saw the car in the flesh at Select Citywalk this afternoon. Stunning front end design, good boot integration, tyres look puny and the car does look a little odd when viewed from the side (the rear quarter of the car on small tyres as its a bit tall at the rear side). Overall its a tad smaller i think as compared to the City.

IMO it will appeal to the younger generation as its sporty and compact and isnt the car that will appeal to the family man.
Old 17th April 2011, 21:02   #896
Senior - BHPian

I too saw the car today at select city-walk. The car looks very good though smaller than SX4/ANHC/Vento. The design doesn’t appealed me much (may be cos i am used to ANHC now) but still it looks fresh better than muscular SX4 and Plain Jane Vento. Interiors are OK, nothing much to say. Feature wise this car has the edge over others. Right pricing is very important for this car to succeed as we already have practical Vento and Value for money SX4 in market fetching good sales numbers.

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th April 2011 at 21:03.
Old 17th April 2011, 21:13   #897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Fiesta and Logan engines have close to zero turbo lag. Vento is good but definitely not better than the fiesta/logan.

Also the current fiesta handles better than the vento and the steering feedback in Vento left me disappointed. The new fiesta, according to the initial reviews will be ahead of Vento in ride and handling.
Infact Micra's Engine had a little less lag than the figo's. Vento's lag is only marginally more. Not big an issue at all. However you can enjoy the monstorous torque post 1700 RPM.

Steering feedback in Vento is the only fly in the ointment. I am sure Fiesta will be a whole lot better. And as far as the ride and handling goes, Vento has the perfect balance. The fiesta classic is on the stiffer side making it a tighter handler. (Any info regarding the NFS?) One thing for sure IMHO the Diesel fiesta is not going to win any enthusiast's heart. It will be more of a commuter. It is the petrol that has the firepower.
Old 17th April 2011, 21:36   #898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A mini SUV is planned for India. Don't know which model though.
That is good news. Thanks.
Any target timelines? Would it be there by 2012 at least?

PS: Sorry for off-topic question.
Old 17th April 2011, 22:04   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Infact Micra's Engine had a little less lag than the figo's. Vento's lag is only marginally more. Not big an issue at all. However you can enjoy the monstorous torque post 1700 RPM.

Steering feedback in Vento is the only fly in the ointment. I am sure Fiesta will be a whole lot better. And as far as the ride and handling goes, Vento has the perfect balance. The fiesta classic is on the stiffer side making it a tighter handler. (Any info regarding the NFS?) One thing for sure IMHO the Diesel fiesta is not going to win any enthusiast's heart. It will be more of a commuter. It is the petrol that has the firepower.
Apparently, the NFS beats even the linea on ride and handling. That would be awesome considering that the linea is the current benchmark. The new diesel fiesta should also be a fun to drive but the petrol would be the new benchmark I guess. I am waiting for the release to see how the New Verna & fiesta compare.
Old 17th April 2011, 23:41   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.6 TDCi has lesser turbo lag than 1.4 TDCi..
aha.. thats news, as the 1.4 TDCi has very little turbo lag. Well, with 200NM of linear torque, we have an extremely 'drivable' machine.

Quote:
People always ask me that why ford diesel engines have so less power than other manufacturers' diesel engines....
The reason is well pretty simple, we can also tune the ford 1.4 TDCi to give 100 PS of power & more torque but the fact is that drive-ability suffers a lot in this. Although the top end grunt increases but at the same time the turbo lag also increases exponentially....
Well said Mustang!!..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed