Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 07:44   #1216
BANNED

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any idea as to how many variants are going to be there in each spec [Petrol & Diesel] ? Also since Airbags are standard across all variants, could we expect ABS also standard?

Just curious, not sure you will be able to answer this. Do the manufactures decide a price for the car when they decide a new product or once the entire product is made, do they decide on a price with good / reasonable margin ?
1. There will be around 2-3 variants for the petrol and the diesel each. Yes you can expect ABS+EBD to be standard.

2. Pricing is carried out in stages, Most important is the 1st stage ie. the preliminary pricing which was estimated around a year ago. Currently the finalizing of prices stage is happening. This is the last stage of pricing. In this stage only fine tuning of prices takes place. Fine tuning = + or - 5% of the pricing estimated in the previous stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Mustang, could you please give us an approximate time period for the launch of the Fiesta? Like this month, next month, something. So that people looking to buy a new car know how long to wait.
You can expect some concrete info by early next month and the car being officially launched by next month end with deliveries commencing in the first week of July. This estimate provided by me is a calculative guess and signifies the max time in which the launch could take place. So If I am wrong then the launch may happen by the end of this month also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Fiesta will not be launched before August, because they have some problem in the production. This new came out I guess a 15 to 20 ago. I dont know if they still have the issue or not.
No there is no issue like that, there was a strike at the plant about a month back for a few days but it only affected current figo production (ie. figos for the month of april).
Mustang.101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 22:04   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Look a few pages back, Mustang had already posted those videos!
Ya I have seen them and thanked our Mustang.101 too. But I posted this link as the feature was greatly appreciated by the website. They had also mentioned that the feature is not just for lazy lasses, but it is a feature that also enhances safety

Last edited by aravind.anand : 13th May 2011 at 22:07. Reason: Typo
Old 15th May 2011, 22:31   #1218
BHPian

It is already a month since the Fiesta was unveiled. Give us something concrete Ford! So difficult to wait and take a decision.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:07   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I do not have any concrete info but i will tell you that the new fiesta will undercut the prices of the other new launches that are happening.
I just hope(and pray) that happens, especially for Diesel Fiesta. I almost bought a petrol Fiesta last Diwali but the deal couldnt go through do to some other issues. I hope Fords doesn't go Hyundai way, full specced but inappropriate pricing.

Also that the undercut is significant enough for end customers like me and I am not eventually forced to come back to criticize Ford here.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:04   #1220
BHPian

I still wish they'd launched a more powerful diesel engine.
Something with the Fiestas dynamics deserves 120+ bhp.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:14   #1221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
I still wish they'd launched a more powerful diesel engine.
Something with the Fiestas dynamics deserves 120+ bhp.
Like i said a 100 times before man, Power is not measured in BHP.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:22   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

Like i said a 100 times before man, Power is not measured in BHP.
And as I've disagreed many times before, to a great extent, it is.
I agree, compared to the Verna, the Fiesta will have no turbo-lag, making it a boon in the city, and incredibly easy to drive.
Throw both cars on a highway however, and don't tell me the Verna's 126bhp peak isn't gonna make a difference.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:30   #1223
BANNED

Quote:
I agree, compared to the Verna, the Fiesta will have no turbo-lag, making it a boon in the city, and incredibly easy to drive.
Throw both cars on a highway however, and don't tell me the Verna's 126bhp peak isn't gonna make a difference.
Look i am not going to compare cars now. But i will tell you what happened with a third party finding.

Now this is truly factual and it does not represent any data from my side.

Both autocar and overdrive have verified this.

In a drag race between a honda city 120 BHP and ford fiesta classic 100 BHP, the fiesta lost by a tiny 0.2XX secs margin.

However when these two cars were timed on a single lap of the madras race track, the fiesta beat the Honda city by a 1.5XX secs margin and that also in one lap.

So basically think of this as this way, Is driving in real life more like a drag or more like a circuit. And i can't find the link but if you do then you must find the author's comments about which feels as the more faster, responsive and more dynamic car.

And now my views, I think that whatever data that i have given you right now is basically crap, I never ever rely on any sort of power related data ever, take the vento and the new fiesta on the highway during a test drive and find which car you like the best for your highway needs and buy that one. But never go on the data that is published, I did this once while buying a car so i know.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 16th May 2011 at 10:34.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 10:33   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
It would make a difference if we had long straight highways like the ones in Texas, California and Arizona. But on the (somewhat) twisty highways that we have here in India, you cannot maintain high speeds in the Verna while turning and taking corners. The fiesta will beat the Verna to a pulp on such roads.

After all, what is power without control!
Old 16th May 2011, 11:05   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

Look i am not going to compare cars now. But i will tell you what happened with a third party finding.

Now this is truly factual and it does not represent any data from my side.

Both autocar and overdrive have verified this.

In a drag race between a honda city 120 BHP and ford fiesta classic 100 BHP, the fiesta lost by a tiny 0.2XX secs margin.

However when these two cars were timed on a single lap of the madras race track, the fiesta beat the Honda city by a 1.5XX secs margin and that also in one lap.

So basically think of this as this way, Is driving in real life more like a drag or more like a circuit. And i can't find the link but if you do then you must find the author's comments about which feels as the more faster, responsive and more dynamic car.

And now my views, I think that whatever data that i have given you right now is basically crap, I never ever rely on any sort of power related data ever, take the vento and the new fiesta on the highway during a test drive and find which car you like the best for your highway needs and buy that one. But never go on the data that is published, I did this once while buying a car so i know.
That is true, and having driven an old fiesta, I can agree that there is absolutely nothing (except maybe a Civic or Laura) that can beat its driving dynamics .
No way to know which one ill like the best however until I td both cars.
Also, as a current owner of the old Verna, I can vouch for the fact that while its straight line power is incredible, its stability is utter crap.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:23   #1226
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Simply love this shade of Blue!

Source: Spied - A pair of new blue Ford Fiestas in Chennai | Indian Autos blog

New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120-newfordfiestachennai.jpg
Old 16th May 2011, 16:45   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post

Yes I rember this distinctly. It was an anniversary issue of Overdrive. I have the videos of both drives too! the difference in their laps times were wide, accrediting the handling of the Fiesta and ANHC's skinny tyres came into much criticism too.
Old 16th May 2011, 17:27   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is true, and having driven an old fiesta, I can agree that there is absolutely nothing (except maybe a Civic or Laura) that can beat its driving dynamics .
This is just FYI mate! Narain Karthikeyan took 10 odd cars around the Chennai MMST track to test their handling powers in which the Fiesta 1.6S beat the Civic on the track and it was only beaten by the CR-V. This was in one of Autocar tests back in 2009 IIRC!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 17:55   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
This is just FYI mate! Narain Karthikeyan took 10 odd cars around the Chennai MMST track to test their handling powers in which the Fiesta 1.6S beat the Civic on the track and it was only beaten by the CR-V. This was in one of Autocar tests back in 2009 IIRC!

So the Fiesta S beat the Civic but lost out to CRV. That would mean that the heavier CRV (with higher CoG) is faster than the lighter Civic (with better power to weight ratio) around the track. I find that very very hard to believe.
Old 16th May 2011, 17:57   #1230
BHPian

The Fiesta has amazing handling and the Verna's is no match for that. But, why not look at it from another point-of-view.

More power generally means quicker acceleration. The traffic on Indian roads mean that its quite hard to maintain speeds for long, as you will have to brake very soon. So if you have a faster accelerating car, you are quicker to get to higher speeds that the slower accelerating but better handling cars.

In light of the above, wouldn't the Verna make better time on a straighter highway such as the one from Krishnagiri to Chennai or Salem to Bangalore. Just playing devil's advocate here

BTW, I too do agree with the view that Ford is not using the full potential of its awesome handling Fiesta by putting lower powered engines. Then need to do justice to the car by putting in a more powerful engine. Think of it, a Fiesta which handles nearly (I say nearly as a different engine would most likely result in different weight distribution of the car) the same, but with more power (so faster acceleration out of corners and on the straight!) Wouldn't that be something
Closed Thread

Most Viewed