Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 15:24   #1501
Senior - BHPian

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

So my earlier claims that Ford would come out with a 1.5 instead of a 1.6 seems to be right. Since mustang stayed silent on my post i thought my info was wrong.

Atlest now we can be sure that Ford would come out with a Shokker pricing this time too. Otherwise i'm pretty sure it wont be able to scare the Vento/Fluidic siblings
Old 7th June 2011, 16:32   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Atlest now we can be sure that Ford would come out with a Shokker pricing this time too. Otherwise i'm pretty sure it wont be able to scare the Vento/Fluidic siblings
Yes, I guess they will have a shocker pricing. The base variants would probably slot within the Fiesta Classic version as well

How would this sound? An 8L OTR 1.5 ANFS without much frills?
Old 7th June 2011, 17:25   #1503
BHPian

My friend who is one of the top honchos in Ford marketing mentioned the new Fiesta would be 1.5L and this was in early April. I thought I heard him wrong and the engine would be 1.6L. Even all the posts here and other sites mentioned talked only about the 1.6L engine. Guess I was distracted by the Pak-New Zealand WC match that evening when he told me this info over a drink and all the while believed it would be 1.6L only.

He also mentioned the pricing would be highly competitive but did not have the final figure at that time. And he kept referring to the new Fiesta as their 'Rocket'

Guess we will have to wait for couple of more days to know for sure.
Old 7th June 2011, 17:34   #1504
BHPian

What is this? I was expecting a 1.6l diesel car....and booked it !!

Now I am told I will be getting a 1.5l diesel.

Going for test driving the 1.6l diesel new Verna tomorrow. Seriously hope it does not come to canceling my booking and defecting to the Hyundai camp.
Old 7th June 2011, 17:43   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The new Ford Fiesta does not qualify for small car excise benefits because it's longer than 4meters, so offering engines of any size would not save them tax. Maybe they want to use the Diesel in a hatchback in future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Not sure about this but I distinctly remember paying higher road tax and higher insurance when i got my Palio 1.6 about 2 and half years back. This was in BLR and may not apply to the rest of the country.
Anybody from BLR can throw some more light on this?
I think anshuman is right. The excise duty is 10% for cars measuring 4 metres or less, and with diesel engines below 1500cc or Petrol engines below 1200cc (i.e., small cars). Beyond these limits its 22%. So if a car falls within the scope of 'small car' it will have lower excise duty, and hence lower ex-showroom price.

Viper, in Karnataka I think its different tax percentages for cars upto 5 lakhs, upto 10 lakhs and above ten lakhs. Since the Palio 1.6 would be more than 5 lakhs, it would have a higher tax percentage than that for a 1.2 Palio which would have cost less than 5 lakhs. With regard to the difference in insurance, I'm not sure.

Last edited by manualManuel : 7th June 2011 at 17:44. Reason: typo
Old 7th June 2011, 17:52   #1506
BHPian

Well Even I was hoping for a 1.6L Diesel.
Anyways lets hope that the 1.5 is a performer.

What I am not able to understand is the pricing for the New Fiesta.

The Diesel Classic has three models:
1) 6.5 laks
2) 6.89 laks
3) around 7.8 lakhs

Earlier it was mentioned that classic will have only one No Frills model and rest will all be new Fiesta. Is it that Ford will discontinue variants of classic and the new Fiesta would start around 7.5 ex showroom.

What I believe is if the New Fiesta Diesel 1.5 base model is priced any higher than 7.5 ex showroom it will not be as competitive considering it is smaller from inside compared to Vento and Verna.

This is all getting confusing. I am really looking forward for this car as it is one of the big contenders for my next car..
Old 7th June 2011, 18:15   #1507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post

Going for test driving the 1.6l diesel new Verna tomorrow. Seriously hope it does not come to canceling my booking and defecting to the Hyundai camp.
Wow, that's quite a rethinking - all because of 0.1L?
Jokes apart, I suggest wait for the launch, and take a test drive before deciding. Even more important - wait for Team-BHP review!
Old 7th June 2011, 18:18   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post

I don't think you will disappointed with the NFS if you are looking for a drivers car. If you need gadgets and good space then its the verna without a second thought. But I am somehow not convinced with hyundai's attitude towards some of the niggles (if you can call the I20 steering rattle that). I just hope the verna doesnt have it. Also hyundai's service costs are more than Ford's from my experience.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:38   #1509
BHPian

@VB; On a lighter note, It is not about the .1l. It is about the benchmarked expectations

@shivasuma; Ford cars have never failed in being the driver's car. Hence, booked without even a TD.

But Hyundai Motor Plaza is right next door and I am tempted to TD the Verna; it seems to be quite a crowd puller during lunch hours. I particularly liked the parking assist rear view camera feature.
Old 7th June 2011, 19:04   #1510
Team-BHP Support

The pictures in BS Motoring website show the new Fiesta sporting a sun-roof. Any idea if this is a standard in the top end variant?

Here is the relevant link: BS Motoring ::
Old 7th June 2011, 21:24   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Here is the TD report

New Ford Fiesta review, test drive | Autocar India
Quote:
The suspension has been raised slightly for Indian roads and the tallish 195/60 R15 profile tyres help absorb most of the poor patches quite effortlessly. The very stiff and light new body shell on this new Ford also gives it a dynamic edge and the new Fiesta drives like a ‘proper’ Ford. And by that we mean shattering grip, pin sharp handling and impressive stability. In fact, we think the new Fiesta, that’s built on the B2E platform (shared with the award winning Mazda 2), drives even better than the current Fiesta Classic. And that’s saying something. The electric steering is almost as good as that on the Renault Fluence, one of the best around, and the confidence instilled in the driver is tremendous.
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 22:16   #1512
BHPian

Autocar India says the price range between 9 to 11 lakh ex showroom, it is the costliest among its competitors and it will definitely not sell at this price.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:47   #1513
Senior - BHPian

New Ford Fiesta review, test drive | Autocar India
Quote:
Ford will initially put two petrol and two diesel versions on sale and we expect prices to range from Rs 9 to Rs 11 lakh ex showroom, which could put the new Fiesta in contention for class honours. We just can’t wait to compare it to its rivals.
Earlier in this article the price range were mentioned from 7-9.5L, but now it got edited from 9-11L. 11L Ex-Showroom for a manual top end diesel version . Verna top end diesel has best of the features & got priced at 10L range, wonder how Ford is going to fight it if this price structures turn out to be true

Now the variant & price wait starts.

PS: We might also get some very good deals on F.SXi 1.4 Tdci, if they plan to phase it out. Heard that current discounts were in the range of 50-60K
Old 7th June 2011, 23:03   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Well the price range of 9-11 lacs doesn't seem OK. Ford should focus on value for money tag as there are many other competitors which are performing very well in the market. IMO this new fiesta looks doesn't inspire me as the Verna/ANHC does, anyhow looks are subjective.

The article also mentions that engine is not as responsive and free revving likes that of Honda City.

Quote:
Part throttle responses are very linear and the Fiesta petrol feels perfect for everyday driving. It’s no City though, and dosen’t feel as responsive or as eager to spin hard as the Honda.
Old 7th June 2011, 23:37   #1515
BHPian

I think without proper competition manufacturers will continue to push price upwards, the Fiesta is not big and paying 11 lakhs for that, even a diesel is not value for money. 9 would be about right, anything more and it won't work IMHO simply because of the size and especially width of the car.

It would take Renault to launch a 1.9/2.0 DCI and lower the price for the 1.5 DCI to create turbulence for anyone close to 11 lakhs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed