Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 09:57   #1546
BHPian

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Today also some new Ford Fiesta's were present on NICE road. It was blue and Chill(Ford Figo color) all were marked TEMP registration. Blue looked awesome and from side and rear profile viewing it from a distance looks similar to ANHV.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:35   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Well, Allwheeldrive is actually correct. In addition to the small car norms of <4m & 10% excise, the govt sometime in 2008 levied an additional 15k & 20k flat duty on cars based on the engine capacity.

Cars with engine sizes above 2.0L will have to pay an extract 20k as excise duty and cars in the 1.5L-2.0L engines will pay 15k excise.

There was a proposal to have similar duty for diesel engines as well, but got dropped later. With the Petrol prices going through the roof, who knows the proposal may come back into reckoning again...

We have a uniform Special Excise duty on cars having engines more or equal to 1500 cc (irrespective of Petrol or Diesel) of Rs. 15,000.

The Rs. 20,000 SED on engines above 2000 cc was imposed earlier. Later
the SED has been revised to Rs. 15,000 on all cars above 1500 cc
Old 9th June 2011, 10:49   #1548
BHPian

I was really looking forward to the 120 BHP petrol...but now it seems the engine is smaller, power is less, more expensive, and to top it off EPS instead of HPS.

The whole voice control and cruise control thing is a bit of a red-herring to me. I'm pretty sure after the first few weeks I will be using the steering controls for audio, and back to the other physical buttons for everything else!

Hmmm...but somehow what was earlier an absolute no-brainer of a choice for me to replace my Ford Fusion, has become a bit of a head-scratcher.

I had practically scratched the Vento and Linea T-jet off my list, but now it seems that they might be fighting their way back onto the list, and without having had to do anything to get back there!

Well I guess only the test drive will be able to resolve this confusion. As long as the 1.5 does not result in the car feeling under-powered (only 100 cc anyway) and the VFM factor is still there...

Hope Ford India does not screw up all the initial good publicity and high level of interest with this late engine surprise and by getting their final pricing wrong!
Old 9th June 2011, 10:54   #1549
Senior - BHPian

From all the reviews thus far, the new Fiesta doesn't look that formidable to take on the newer competition. Maybe, the new Ford is damn good to drive despite the reworked old engines and EPS. I hope so.

And it looks like Ford will have to undercut the new Verna and Vento with the pricing. Knowing the new Ford and how they positioned the Figo with its unbeatable price, this shouldn't be too hard to call. But the Fiesta Classic pricing especially the SXi left a lot to be desired.

So, will the new Fiesta overlap with the Classic SXi on the pricing?
Old 9th June 2011, 11:25   #1550
BHPian

The news of the 1.5 litre power units for the new Fiesta is disappointing for the enthusiasts (such as those writing in this thread) who were expecting the 1.6 litre units.

However, thinking about it from Ford's perspective, it does appear to be the only approach for Ford India. It needs to sell substantial volumes to cover its significant investments in India over the last 3 years.

A large majority of the car-buying Indian public is focused on fuel economy and maintenance costs. Ford has certainly got the latter under control with the present Fiesta. But with petrol prices rising and a definite possibility of diesel prices following suit, what else can Ford do if it wants strong sales? FE is the way to go.

It's not just the general public. Petrol price here in Bangalore is now Rs. 71.07 per litre. Over the last couple of months, I have begun to feel the pinch of petrol costs, something that hasn't bothered me much till now. My wife and I are comfortably off, but we're not rich. We love driving to all our holidays, but now we have started thinking, how much more fuel price increase can we afford?

With the new Fiesta's 1.5 L units, driveability is not really an issue, Fords will always be driver's cars. Automags are saying that after driving the cars. The car is well-appointed and has features to match or better the competition. The only heartache for the eager fans is the lower displacement and power.

Going by Ford's track record, though, Ford could very well spring another surprise and offer the 1.6 litre engines as an option later!

Remember Ford brought out the Sport version of the Fiesta. When I bought my 1.6S last July, I was told by a reliable source that Ford "has spent a few million dollars" to develop that model, which was developed by Ford Australia. One only has to drive the S to know that is true. Definitely Ford couldn't have made any profits on the S version. It was just a gift to the Indian enthusiasts and of course cemented Ford's reputation as a company that made driving a pleasure.

So let's hope that Ford does an encore and gives enthusiasts the option of the 1.6 litre too!

My 5 cents..
Damu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 12:26   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post

Going by Ford's track record, though, Ford could very well spring another surprise and offer the 1.6 litre engines as an option later!
That's certainly what I am hoping for. Mustang had mentioned there might be an S edition after a little while.

I am anyway planning my purchase only early 2012, but the question is whether those people who want to buy a car NOW would be willing to wait, or would they instead go for something else. Perhaps Ford could have kept a 1.6 variant available on the launch. (Look at the number of variants available for the new Verna).
Old 9th June 2011, 12:33   #1552
Senior - BHPian

I agree with all the points you have listed Damu Perfectly true. Haven't you guys read the initial reviews? The testers have clearly mentioned that both the petrol and diesel are not sluggish, they have also appreciated the ride and handling a lot too. The new "true driver's car" in the segment
Old 9th June 2011, 12:36   #1553
Senior - BHPian

A bit off topic, but I do not think all this ho- halla on the engine size (1.5 vs the expected 1.6) should really be there.

By that logic:
  • The 1.3 litre petrol on previous Swift is better than the current 1.2 in terms of driveability / FE?
  • The Ikon 1.6 had a better engine than the Honda City 1.5?
Many other such examples are there, but I guess you get the drift.

I think we must reserve our comments till we actually drive one. Just my 2 aanaa.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 12:51   #1554
Senior - BHPian

@Damu,

Good argument. However if Ford did not significantly benefit from the excise with smaller engine (than the classic Fiesta) then Ford should have still plonked the 1.6 lts engines for both petrol and diesel for the new Fiesta and should have retuned/introduced the Classic with 1.5lts to suit the fuel efficiency conscious janta. The other way around is what surprised me.

With the new engines, wouldn't be Ford be moving away from the their punchmark of fun to ride cars.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:18   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
A bit off topic, but I do not think all this ho- halla on the engine size (1.5 vs the expected 1.6) should really be there.

By that logic:
  • The 1.3 litre petrol on previous Swift is better than the current 1.2 in terms of driveability / FE?
  • The Ikon 1.6 had a better engine than the Honda City 1.5?
Many other such examples are there, but I guess you get the drift.

I think we must reserve our comments till we actually drive one. Just my 2 aanaa.
Very well said! The 1.5L engine in the ANHC still is the bench mark for performance and responsiveness, despite larger engines on the SX4, Vento and the Verna! And the Verna is more powerful and has more torque on paper. But real world performances are not exactly displacement specific!

Quote:
Good argument. However if Ford did not significantly benefit from the excise with smaller engine (than the classic Fiesta) then Ford should have still plonked the 1.6 lts engines for both petrol and diesel for the new Fiesta and should have retuned/introduced the Classic with 1.5lts to suit the fuel efficiency conscious janta. The other way around is what surprised me.
But the thing to note here is, the new 1.5L engine is a lower displacement engine but not a lower technological engine! It has variable valve timing to increase efficiency and output. Thus it is more efficient, but more expensive as well

Last edited by aravind.anand : 9th June 2011 at 13:25. Reason: additional quote.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:25   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Very well said! The 1.5L engine in the ANHC still is the bench mark for performance and responsiveness, despite larger engines on the SX4, Vento and the Verna! And the Verna is more powerful and has more torque on paper. But real world performances are not exactly displacement specific!
That explains why Ford compares its Fiesta with Swift Dzire and not the fellow C-segment vehicles. Quite a few number of ads in TOI these days with tabular comparisons between Fiesta and Dezire and feeling happy about Fiesta churning out 100+ PS and Dzire 90. Unfair, isn't it?
Old 9th June 2011, 15:31   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
That explains why Ford compares its Fiesta with Swift Dzire and not the fellow C-segment vehicles. Quite a few number of ads in TOI these days with tabular comparisons between Fiesta and Dezire and feeling happy about Fiesta churning out 100+ PS and Dzire 90. Unfair, isn't it?
Thats the Fiesta Classic right? Thats what Ford intends to do, Fiesta Classic should take on Dezire, Manza, Etios and the like, While the new Fiesta would lock horns with Vento, Verna, SX4 and the City
And the TOI ads are to fool the non petrol heads (to kindle their ego about buying a superior, more powerful car). Many people, who don't even use 40-50 horses out of the available horses, proudly proclaim that their car has so many horses! Even my dad does that, but he hardly goes beyond 3000 rpm, while the ANHC actually makes 118 PS above 6000 rpm

Last edited by aravind.anand : 9th June 2011 at 15:40.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 15:37   #1558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
considering that the older fiesta already came out trumps in driveability, next to beat would logically be the "kitte ki hai", and "kitta deti hai?" subset.

PS:The new verna and the vento, parked at my office, available for TD.
Have to say, the VW looks more ,em, dignified(?).
Own perception.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:50   #1559
BHPian

Just got a call asking me to come tomorrow to metro ford (not the showroom) to have a look at the NFS. Time and place (St. Marks Road) yet to be fixed up but possibly by late morning or early afternoon.
Anyone wants to join in? No test drive or pricing info and only one person at a time conditions.

Last edited by optimist : 9th June 2011 at 16:59. Reason: added location
Old 9th June 2011, 17:19   #1560
BHPian

Wondering why you guys here are getting too much discouraged with 1.5l engine capacity of New Fiesta.
IMHO, 1.5l engine capcity is the best capacity needed for cars of this segment as it provides the Power of a 1.6 while consuming fuel like an 1.4 engine.
As most of the 1.6 engines previously proved themselves as gas-guzzlers & not much reliable, like that of Ford Ikon ROCAM, Opel Astra/Corsa 1.6, Optra 1.6, Chevrolet Aveo 1.6, Fiesta DURATEC, MS Baleno, SX4 petrol, Skoda Fabia 1.6 & many more, whereas 1.4s lacked the punch needed in such cars, as in Opel Corsa 1.4, Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 VGIS.

One of the best engines of the last decade were 1.5s & these were belonged to;
-Old Honda City 1.5.
-Honda City 1.5 ZX V-TEC.
-All-New Honda City 1.5 i-VTEC.
-Hyundai Verna 1.5 VGT CRDi.
The latter one was even more punchier & enjoyable than New Fluidic Verna's 127PS one, despite of 17 lesser horses.
It seems that ford have understood the logic behind the 1.5 engines of our country while exhaustively testing their new Fiesta range here, indicating their long terms plans with this car for our country.
Regarding downsized Diesel engine, in addition to above factors I'm sure Ford India must be having in their minds to share this engine with Fiesta hatchback(due to ED norms), which they might plan to launch it here by 2012.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed