Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 10:12   #1666
xPK
BHPian

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Based on all these reviews, 1.5 Ti-VCT seems to be a sheer disappointment. I can't believe they have better engine in a car segment below. Whereas 1.5 TDCi seems to be way better than it's petrol sibling, however comparison with 1.4 TDCi will be crucial. Extra horses seem to have came with extra lag. I haven't driven 1.4 TDCi extensively. But I can tell, it is going to be very difficult task for Ford to satisfy users which have been pampered by 1.4 TDCi.

One more thing I find worth mentioning is people quoted experiencing turbo lag till 2000 mark and quite prominent below 1800. This is definitely going to affect city drivability, which was the trump card for earlier Fiesta (thanks to 1.4 TDCi). The lag by 1.5 TDCi is quite comparable to new Verna's 1.6 CRDi. Also one of the reviewer mentions you need to work out gears well for overtaking, so those odd 35 extra horses of Verna might have an edge here.

I can't wait to compare those personally!

EDIT: Ford seems to be following FIAT's strategy. Ignore enthusiasts and go for common man. A common man always compares Price, FE and BHP (perhaps in the same order). FE claims are quite similar for Fiesta and Verna. So unless there is huge difference between their pricing, Verna will take the cake. Because extra 35 horses will always be tempting.

Last edited by xPK : 15th June 2011 at 10:22. Reason: Adding comments
Old 15th June 2011, 11:25   #1667
BANNED

Yes, I now have permanent internet and I am back on team-bhp so you can ask the stuff you guys want to.

It is final :

1.5 Ti-VCT Petrol and 1.5 TDCi Diesel.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:29   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Yes, I now have permanent internet and I am back on team-bhp so you can ask the stuff you guys want to.

It is final :

Welcome back Hope you had a good vacation. What will be the waiting period for the diesel top end version to start with? Eagerly waiting for the launch. Has the date been finalized? Ofcourse the price too!
Old 15th June 2011, 11:35   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is final :

Why not the 1.6 Ti-VCT, producing a mighty 120 PS which is globally used in the Fiesta?

Its disappointing to see that most reviews claim that the Fiesta Classic powertrains are much better compared to the scaled down 1.5 litre units!

Last edited by anachronix : 15th June 2011 at 11:36.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:48   #1670
BHPian

Mustang:

Any idea if and when Diesel Automatic will be launched? So far the news coming through has confused me....some said Petrol and Diesel AT are due later in the year, some implied sales of Verna AT will be watched closely by Ford before taking a decision and some say the AT will be available at least on Petrol with no clarity on Diesel.

Thanks much.

Cheers,
Old 15th June 2011, 11:53   #1671
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Welcome back Hope you had a good vacation. What will be the waiting period for the diesel top end version to start with? Eagerly waiting for the launch. Has the date been finalized? Ofcourse the price too!
Launch is expected to be by the first week of July.
Waiting period initially will be about max 2 months and will come down.
Prices : No idea as of now but i expect the petrol base version to start at 7.25 Lacs and the petrol top model to be slightly above 8 Lacs with all the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Why not the 1.6 Ti-VCT, producing a mighty 120 PS which is globally used in the Fiesta?

Its disappointing to see that most reviews claim that the Fiesta Classic powertrains are much better compared to the scaled down 1.5 litre units!
The 1.5 L Ti-VCT petrol is not a disappointment. Yes if i had free petrol then i would definitely go with the 1.6 L duratec because of its super sexy low end torque but given cureent petrol scenario, if i had to choose between the 2 engines, i would go with the 1.5 L. Its a good engine, you need to drive it to feel it. It has a nice midrange also, it just has a little less low end torque than the older 1.6 duratec.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:57   #1672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

I guess its about FE than anything else that made them do this. Probably the pricing also weighed in. But I dont know how much more fuel efficient the new engine would be compared to the 1.6 Ti-VCT. The previous fiesta engines were known for their low end grunt and driveability which is missing in the new ones (going from reviews).

Mustang, I remember you had said that the turbo-lag was negligent/as good or worse as the previous one. But reviews say that the new diesel has lag under 1800rpm. Is it really bad?
Old 15th June 2011, 12:06   #1673
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Mustang:

Any idea if and when Diesel Automatic will be launched? So far the news coming through has confused me....some said Petrol and Diesel AT are due later in the year, some implied sales of Verna AT will be watched closely by Ford before taking a decision and some say the AT will be available at least on Petrol with no clarity on Diesel.

Thanks much.

Cheers,
Petrol Automatic is certainly due within 6 months. I do not have any info regarding the diesel auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post

Mustang, I remember you had said that the turbo-lag was negligent/as good or worse as the previous one. But reviews say that the new diesel has lag under 1800rpm. Is it really bad?
I had said that about the 1.6 TDCi. Yes, the 1.5 TDCi does have some lag till about 1500 rpms if you ask me but after that it really disappears. It is still quite less and wont be much of an issue. Most reviews call it "pronounced" lag because at 1800 rpms, the fiesta does go like a rocket. Hence the term "pronounced lag".
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 12:13   #1674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Launch is expected to be by the first week of July.
Waiting period initially will be about max 2 months and will come down.
Prices : No idea as of now but i expect the petrol base version to start at 7.25 Lacs and the petrol top model to be slightly above 8 Lacs with all the goodies.
I hope you mean, as the booking starts, the waiting period might grow upto maximum of 2 months & not that there wont be any delivery for the first 2 months after launch. Somehow dreaming on placing my hands on the NFS immediately after launch as I had placed the order with dealer in the month of May 2011 (okay unofficial as far as Ford is concerned). The most awaited diesel pricing was left untouched by you...can you please guess there too?

How do one fit a GPS onto the NFS? Will this voice enabled system in any way be advantageous for this additional fitment?
Old 15th June 2011, 12:14   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Ford seems to be following FIAT's strategy. Ignore enthusiasts and go for common man. A common man always compares Price, FE and BHP (perhaps in the same order). FE claims are quite similar for Fiesta and Verna. So unless there is huge difference between their pricing, Verna will take the cake. Because extra 35 horses will always be tempting.
Well, the primary objective of any company is to make money for its owner/shareholders.

Clearly Ford would sell more cars to the common man than to the enthusiast. They have already seen a huge jump in volume thanks to Figo, and obviously they want to continue with the new Fiesta - nothing wrong with that.

The rest of us will just TD all the contenders and go for the one that we like best (though I so want that to be the new Fiesta petrol!).

Perhaps Mustang can pass on some hints about when we can expect an S version, and whether it would be the 1.6?
Old 15th June 2011, 12:15   #1676
BHPian

Mustang, nice to see you back on the forum.

What is Ford Motors upto? Downgrading the engines, not communicating a firm launch date, not communicating any interim information to folks who have already booked the car, introducing new features like pronounced turbo lag (sorry for the sarcasm).

Now, what next? Many people are already entertaining second thoughts. If it were not for the long waiting period for the Verna Diesel, it would have been an easy choice to make.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:23   #1677
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I hope you mean, as the booking starts, the waiting period might grow upto maximum of 2 months & not that there wont be any delivery for the first 2 months after launch. Somehow dreaming on placing my hands on the NFS immediately after launch as I had placed the order with dealer in the month of May 2011 (okay unofficial as far as Ford is concerned). The most awaited diesel pricing was left untouched by you...can you please guess there too?

How do one fit a GPS onto the NFS? Will this voice enabled system in any way be advantageous for this additional fitment?
Yes i meant exactly what you inferred.
Diesel will be a Lac more expensive than the petrol.
GPS will have to be a standalone unit like the ones you get from mapmyindia etc. and will be das mounted or where ever you feel comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Mustang, nice to see you back on the forum.

What is Ford Motors upto? Downgrading the engines, not communicating a firm launch date, not communicating any interim information to folks who have already booked the car, introducing new features like pronounced turbo lag (sorry for the sarcasm).

Now, what next? Many people are already entertaining second thoughts. If it were not for the long waiting period for the Verna Diesel, it would have been an easy choice to make.
There has been no downgrading of the engine, It has been downsized and the technology is more advanced (Eg. Ti-VCT) and the moving parts are lighter and have much less friction that the older duratec.

Car will be launched after the next press conference and bookings will open immediately after that. Like i said the word "pronounced lag" is only because of the sheer performance after 1600-1700 rpms so what happens is that the reviewers think that the engine is a dud before that. As far as the diesel goes, there is no comparison. The 1.5 TDCi is miles ahead of the older 1.4 TDCi whether it be performance or Fuel efficiency or the sheer fun to drive.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:50   #1678
BHPian

Hey Mustang, can the reverse camera view be made compactable with the LCD screen on the new Fiesta?
Old 15th June 2011, 12:52   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Petrol Automatic is certainly due within 6 months. I do not have any info regarding the diesel auto.
Mustang:
Any idea if the AT will be the dual-clutch six speed one or is it a lower cost (hence lower spec) AT as mentioned by some web site?

For diesel AT, is the issue with the technology or the total cost that is deterring Ford from taking a decision?
Old 15th June 2011, 13:03   #1680
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Hey Mustang, can the reverse camera view be made compactable with the LCD screen on the new Fiesta?
No it can't, firstly there is no provision for that and secondly the LCD can not accommodate a lot of colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Mustang:
Any idea if the AT will be the dual-clutch six speed one or is it a lower cost (hence lower spec) AT as mentioned by some web site?

For diesel AT, is the issue with the technology or the total cost that is deterring Ford from taking a decision?
The issue is certainly the total cost. 6 speed dual clutch it should be AFAIK but the company might remove the manual shifters. The company has a dual clutch 6 speed gearbox version with no manual shifts.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed