Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 17:21   #1756
BHPian

re: New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120

Here is some comparison with the competition (Sorry I have excluded SX4, which I consider to be older than these models, also excluded Linea because I don't really think it is a big player in the competition). The data for Fiesta is taken from Ford Australia website.

Name:  New Fiesta Sedan 2011  Comparison.PNG
Views: 16153
Size:  37.0 KB

The fiesta is the widest of the lot, but has the smallest boot. Verna has the longest wheelbase, while the City is longest, tallest and with the biggest boot. Interestingly the Vento does not have much to boast about size-wise.

Personally, the smaller boot of the fiesta is disappointing because in the past I have ended up using the entire boot of my previous generation fiesta many times and so was hoping for a bigger boot.
MandarMax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 21:31   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Reading the Driving ford site for sometime made me think that this was the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Those of you waiting for the Team-BHP review of the Fiesta - hang in there

cya
R
Thank you! Now it feels like that all other sites listed there were put up for others to read. We know where to look for information that exceeds all others in content and presentation. BTW did Ford give you guys a separate drive all by yourselves knowing the attention to detail?
Old 17th June 2011, 21:38   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
the Verna looked a near possibility but the waiting period spoilt the party. I’ve had to wait 6 months for the Diesel which would be curtains..
Picked it from Verna thread. Verna is going Vento way? Nice game ON with Fiesta joining the party esp after all those positive reviews

PS: TBHP review wait is even more painful now after Rehaan indicating that it will be up soon. Hope that soon is not in FORD language
Old 17th June 2011, 22:07   #1759
BHPian

I guess with the dimensions, only the Verna is going to beat the Fiesta hands down. Verna, I have to say is huge and the space is too good.
  • Most of us want larger space to sit (cabin space in the rear)
  • Although we say we want a huge boot, i think 430L boot is big enough for most of our needs.
  • Larger width would mean two things
1. Stability at high speeds
2. Space for 3 in the rear seat
  • Personally I would also have like a little more longer wheelbase.

Now just need to wait for the pricing. I can safely speculate that the New Fiesta is going to rob the VW showrooms of people. Verna I am not so sure.
Old 17th June 2011, 22:15   #1760
BHPian

Saw this in the NDTV Review. The reviewer is standing next to the NFS.

To me the car does not look small by any means.

New Ford Fiesta Unveiled : Report & Pics - Page 120-fiesta_length.jpg

Also Driving Ford has some more info about the front legroom which according to it is the best in class. Also Front airbags are standard across the models:

All Fiesta models are equipped with front airbags for the driver and passenger as standard equipment. Three-point safety belts with dual-stage digressive load-limiting pre-tensioners are standard for both front seat occupants. In the rear, three-point safety belts are provided for the two outboard passengers. The retractors pull the safety belt tightly to position the occupant ideally for airbag effectiveness. For additional driver safety, a special carpet underlay called a crash pad is placed between the floor panel and carpet to minimise impact to the lower leg during a crash.
Old 17th June 2011, 22:24   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
The fiesta is the widest of the lot...
These figures could be with OVRM unfolded; actually, the car looks smaller in flesh!
Old 17th June 2011, 22:39   #1762
Senior - BHPian

The Fiesta boot looks more than the stated 430 litres from the outside. Rear leg room might be a bit tight too, with the wheelbase of the Fiesta being 81 mm shorter than the Verna. Width wise, seating 3 adults at the back in relative comfort looks doable.
Old 18th June 2011, 00:40   #1763
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
These figures could be with OVRM unfolded; actually, the car looks smaller in flesh!
It is with OVRM folded.
Old 18th June 2011, 01:04   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
A longer wheelbase with a shorter overall lenght results in smaller overhang. This is ideally better as it supposed to result in lesser centrifugal forces during cornering thus aiding handling. The picture below explains the case of the Fiesta and the Verna.
Attachment 561705
Thanks Arvind. I too had a feeling that a longer wheelbase with a shorter overall length should contribute to better handling. That would suggest that the New Verna would handle better than the New Fiesta! But of course there are other factors at play and overall length as discussed above can also result from a bumper design or similar factors which would have little to do with handling.

This is why one should focus more on the Wheelbase than on the Overall length.
(A 'freak' car in this respect is the Logan/Verito, with a Wheelbase longer than that of the Corolla and Optra, though shorter overall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Where did you get that figure for length from?? That is definitely not right. The new Fiesta has a length of 4291 mm (as per Ford Thailand website). Ive posted the comparison some time back in my post here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2362146
Mate, the length was from the link johnjojo08 had posted before. Wikipedia, that is.

The bumper issue discussed above goes to explain how we may give so much importance to figures, when they are only indicative of the comfort and performance one is looking for.

Eagerly looking forward to the T-Bhp review

Last edited by Poitive : 18th June 2011 at 01:11. Reason: Comment on Wheelbase and Logan
Old 18th June 2011, 02:25   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Here is some comparison with the competition (Sorry I have excluded SX4, which I consider to be older than these models, also excluded Linea because I don't really think it is a big player in the competition). The data for Fiesta is taken from Ford Australia website.

Attachment 561875
My sources tells me that height is 1481mm, rest of the dimensions that you have mentioned exactly matches with the data I have.
Old 18th June 2011, 07:27   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Thanks Arvind. I too had a feeling that a longer wheelbase with a shorter overall length should contribute to better handling.

This is why one should focus more on the Wheelbase than on the Overall length.
(A 'freak' car in this respect is the Logan/Verito, with a Wheelbase longer than that of the Corolla and Optra, though shorter overall)
Ah please dont mention it buddy And yes true, Wheelbase is more important to consider than over all lenght, but to an extent.
A car with a longer wheelbase, like you have mentioned - the Logan, would be more stable at higher speeds due to its longer wheelbase and wider body, but its also likely to be less flickable than a car with shorter WB. So Logan might be a very smooth and safe cruiser but wil never be a hot handler as it wont change directions quicker than a car with shorter WB.
So had the WB of the new Fiesta grown considerably while all other parameters remained the same, one cannot say it would have become a better handler than it would be now - This is what (at least) theoretically one can say.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 18th June 2011 at 07:29.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 10:50   #1767
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
My sources tells me that height is 1481mm, rest of the dimensions that you have mentioned exactly matches with the data I have.
Height will be more for indian fiesta due to increased GC and retunned suspension for indian roads. Ford ikon had more height than Fiesta ikon(sold in other parts of the world). We can get these doubts cleared once we get the full spec of indian version.
Old 18th June 2011, 15:19   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive

The width mentioned is without considering the ORVMs. Please refer to ford australia website for details.
Old 18th June 2011, 15:46   #1769
Senior - BHPian

All-new Fiesta: Powerful car, classy looks, engaging experience | Driving Ford

Quote:
Stay safe
Nothing, we repeat, nothing, is more important than your safety. Under the stylish exterior of the all-new Ford Fiesta is a powerful body structure that can protect occupants in case of a collision. More than 55 percent of the body structure is high-strength steel, including dual-phase steel and ultra-high-strength aluminised boron steel, an element so incredibly strong that it is used in the aerospace industry.
All Fiesta models are equipped with front airbags for the driver and passenger as standard equipment. Three-point safety belts with dual-stage digressive load-limiting pre-tensioners are standard for both front seat occupants. In the rear, three-point safety belts are provided for the two outboard passengers. The retractors pull the safety belt tightly to position the occupant ideally for airbag effectiveness. For additional driver safety, a special carpet underlay called a crash pad is placed between the floor panel and carpet to minimise impact to the lower leg during a crash.
Quote:
Excited about the Ford Fiesta? Stay tuned to Driving Ford for more updates. The all-new Ford Fiesta will be available in showrooms later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Those of you waiting for the Team-BHP review of the Fiesta - hang in there

cya
R
Ooeeff- Sir, we are hanging for the past 24 hrs
Old 18th June 2011, 15:59   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Ah please dont mention it buddy And yes true, Wheelbase is more important to consider than over all lenght, but to an extent.
A car with a longer wheelbase, like you have mentioned - the Logan, would be more stable at higher speeds due to its longer wheelbase and wider body, but its also likely to be less flickable than a car with shorter WB. So Logan might be a very smooth and safe cruiser but wil never be a hot handler as it wont change directions quicker than a car with shorter WB.
So had the WB of the new Fiesta grown considerably while all other parameters remained the same, one cannot say it would have become a better handler than it would be now - This is what (at least) theoretically one can say.
Won't mention it Arvind

But now it leaves me a bit confused about if the wheelbase was increased without increasing the overhang, would the car handle better? Also now a bit unclear about what "handling" would refer to.

My understanding is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2354043

PS: Not sure if this is the proper thread to discuss this and it being a bit off topic may offend/bother other thread followers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks