Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 12:51   #181
BHPian

Re: Auto Magazines - Commercially biased Journalism

To tell you the truth, I have had a tough time moving to online car reviews, and to warm-up to apps having grown up in the 90s with only car mags as the only source of information. Background: I was completely out of touch on the Indian car scene for over a decade as I had moved abroad, and these puny 1 liter cars were very difficult to appreciate when all I saw around were mighty V8s / W16s and the likes.
But here I am, back to the Indian shores, and loving every bit of it again. The very first thing I did after landing here was to literally subscribe to a 3 year subscription of Autocar India. I had grown up reading, and loving this magazine, and was in awe of all these journos who got to test drive these awesome cars while I sat and ogled through the pages. Hormazd was my favorite guy back from the days when he was with Auto India (if I remember correctly). I also used to love the little posters they used to have that could be torn out. I kid you not, I had at least 200 of these in my room You could not see an inch of the wall.
Fast forward 15 years and I find that the magazines don't satiate my hunger for the knowledge I need on the auto industry, and I go online looking for channels (YouTube etc.), and Apps (Carwale etc.), and forums (TeamBHP).
I can tell you no day is complete without reading the TeamBHP forum but I do find it difficult to navigate; although thanks to the newsletters, at least I go through all the articles that get published there but mostly if I were to navigate this on my own, I am still not so sure I can confidently say that I understand completely. Every page click signs me out! Sometimes the pages open top to bottom, sometimes bottom to top. Do we not have an app? Does T-BHP do videos etc.?
Anyway, I am here asking all you lovely BHPians to help me identify the top sites, magazines, apps, forums that are available here that you guys swear by. I am not sure I am following the right set of Youtubers or have the best apps.
pratyaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 14:59   #182
BHPian

This is getting out of hand. A luxury sedan called BMW X3 is now retailing in India at 1.58 cr. With YouTubers doing all sorts of crazy on our roads, regurgitating the same unprofessional reviews, and now mainstream car apps doing this. Seem to have hired a work-from-home intern at 0$ per hr.

Auto Magazines - Commercially biased Journalism-img20211210wa0007.jpg
pratyaksh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 06:51   #183
Team-BHP Support

New trend:

Car magazines are running out of categories to award a manufacturer - they have now started awarding for pre-owned cars too! And not just one or two awards!

Auto Magazines - Commercially biased Journalism-screenshot_20221212_065046_gallery.jpg

Auto Magazines - Commercially biased Journalism-screenshot_20221212_065424_gallery.jpg

Auto Magazines - Commercially biased Journalism-screenshot_20221212_065435_gallery.jpg

Auto Magazines - Commercially biased Journalism-screenshot_20221212_065444_gallery.jpg

Auto Magazines - Commercially biased Journalism-screenshot_20221212_065455_gallery.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th December 2022 at 06:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 07:09   #184
Senior - BHPian

Isn’t this timely during this period of chip shortage and most buyers looking at used car options ? Not to take away from the point that, in general, these awards also play into some degree of manufacturer appeasement.

Most Viewed