Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't see this model selling much. Back seat lovers would still prefer the DSG on the "Few" occasion that they do decide to drive they must have an automatic. Performance lovers could opt for the manual but in this case the DSG is a better option even for performance and FE.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I don't see this model selling much. Back seat lovers would still prefer the DSG on the "Few" occasion that they do decide to drive they must have an automatic. Performance lovers could opt for the manual but in this case the DSG is a better option even for performance and FE.
Not too sure about that since the DSG box is notorious for problems and damn expensive to fix. If anything, the MT Superb is more reliable than the DSG one ?
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Not too sure about that since the DSG box is notorious for problems and damn expensive to fix. If anything, the MT Superb is more reliable than the DSG one ?
I agree. Furthermore, if you're buying the Superb as a chauffer driven car, it makes little sense for you to pay more to get a DSG.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Sahil,

I don't think that performance lovers will prefer the DSG gear box. I've driven the Superb DSG, and it just doesn't cut the mustard like a 6 speed manual would. I get between 10-11 in my Laura TSI between Highway and City Driving. My Uncles Superb gives him 6-8 in Bombay Traffic. I bet the manual will be more efficient.

I spoke to Skoda and VW dealers in B'lore. Skoda dealer says the Superb manual costs 24 lac OTR; Passat chapie isn't too sure yet but thinks it is around 23.6; I'm left wondering if the Passat is actually cheaper!
Realistically I expect the Passat to be 50,000-1,00,000 more than the Superb.

P.S. The Skoda salesperson was extremely incredulous when I enquired about a Petrol Superb go figure.....
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Sahil,

I get between 10-11 in my Laura TSI between Highway and City Driving. My Uncles Superb gives him 6-8 in Bombay Traffic. I bet the manual will be more efficient.

When it comes to FE, Bombay traffic will bring any car to it's knees- even the Laura 1.8Tsi with manual 6 speed. However high people talk of Bangalore and Pune traffic chaos, there is no comparison to Mumbai traffic
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
When it comes to FE, Bombay traffic will bring any car to it's knees- even the Laura 1.8Tsi with manual 6 speed. However high people talk of Bangalore and Pune traffic chaos, there is no comparison to Mumbai traffic
Anand !! I beg to differ, I have discussions with my friends about this all the time. When it takes me two hours to drive 3 KM's from my house on many Friday evenings, you know its bad. One thing I have noticed, is that most people in Bombay follow some form of lane discipline. In Bangalore, you need to make sure there is no two wheeler trying to drive over your car before you start driving!

Just for the record. I live in Bangalore, but am from Bombay, have close family there and spend loads of time there. I also happen to drive there a lot.

Last edited by imp! : 2nd April 2010 at 14:33.
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Sahil,

I don't think that performance lovers will prefer the DSG gear box. I've driven the Superb DSG, and it just doesn't cut the mustard like a 6 speed manual would.
Have you driven it in Sport Mode yet. I've driven the Laura 1.8 TSI and I personally feel that the Superb in sport mode is just out of this world.

Sport mode = Live on the redline
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Have you driven it in Sport Mode yet. I've driven the Laura 1.8 TSI and I personally feel that the Superb in sport mode is just out of this world.

Sport mode = Live on the redline
ofcourse, and I still prefer my Laura :-)
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Uncles Superb gives him 6-8 in Bombay Traffic. I bet the manual will be more efficient.
The DSG is supposed to be more FE than the manual inspite of added weight, and its also supposed to shift faster than the manual can. So, not sure of your statement above.
Superb is much heavier than Laura, so comparing FE for the two is apples to oranges.
The DSG reliability angle is the dampener.
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

imp- I am a performance lover and although I bought my Superb when only the DSG was available, I still wouldn't get the manual if it were available then.
Like mentioned the Sports mode is insane and its got paddle shifters that are lightening fast. The debate on manual vs automatic is a never ending one but if performance timings is what it's about there is no way you can shift as quickly and seamlessly as the DSG. I get an average FE of about 8 in Mumbai city with traffic and AC, I don't think the manual will give much more, if at all.
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
The DSG is supposed to be more FE than the manual inspite of added weight, and its also supposed to shift faster than the manual can. So, not sure of your statement above.
Superb is much heavier than Laura, so comparing FE for the two is apples to oranges.
The DSG reliability angle is the dampener.
No I never meant to compare them. It was just an observation. Obviously the Superb will never give the same FE as the Laura. The thing about MT vs AT is not only shift speed but also the level of control that you get over the car as well as the feeling. Around a track, I am a 1000% confident I can put up better MT transmission timings than AT, given the same car.

Quote:
imp- I am a performance lover and although I bought my Superb when only the DSG was available, I still wouldn't get the manual if it were available then.
Like mentioned the Sports mode is insane and its got paddle shifters that are lightening fast. The debate on manual vs automatic is a never ending one but if performance timings is what it's about there is no way you can shift as quickly and seamlessly as the DSG. I get an average FE of about 8 in Mumbai city with traffic and AC, I don't think the manual will give much more, if at all.
We'll have to wait and see about the FE, although I don't think its a primary concern for most people who buy such cars. About performance timings, like I already mentioned, its a lot more than the shift speed. I have never compared the shift speed, I just find I have way more fun in the Laura than I ever did in the Superb!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks