Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 07:44   #16
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scrapping of Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
1. As KPS said, is a regd letter to the RTO OK? Or is there any other formality like NOC or something?
2. How much can I expect to get from the scrapyard? Weight of vehicle is about 800kgs.
Any document would suffice. It is not important that the documents should be updated for fitness, pollution, insurance etc.

I am sure a 70K run Matiz will fetch a better price than what a scrapper would pay. My advice would be to drive this back to MH and sell it there. The journey cost would be recovered easily.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 08:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Any document would suffice. It is not important that the documents should be updated for fitness, pollution, insurance etc.

I am sure a 70K run Matiz will fetch a better price than what a scrapper would pay. My advice would be to drive this back to MH and sell it there. The journey cost would be recovered easily.

Cheers

KPS
The bold part I couldn't understand.
carwale is estimating 30k or so for the car, so should I sell in Mumbai or scrap in Bangalore?
Old 11th February 2012, 08:15   #18
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bold part I couldn't understand.
carwale is estimating 30k or so for the car, so should I sell in Mumbai or scrap in Bangalore?
If you are scrapping the car in Bangalore, you only need to establish ownership. Hence it does not matter if tax is due, Insurance or Emission Check has expired.

I still think you should sell this car in MH

Cheers
Old 11th February 2012, 09:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
If you are scrapping the car in Bangalore, you only need to establish ownership. Hence it does not matter if tax is due, Insurance or Emission Check has expired.

Cheers
I agree -- if you scrap a Matiz you will get around 10 K if you are lucky. So it makes sense to drive it to MH and sell it. Even if you get 25 K it makes sense.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 19:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
I agree -- if you scrap a Matiz you will get around 10 K if you are lucky. So it makes sense to drive it to MH and sell it. Even if you get 25 K it makes sense.
Ok a little update and one doubt.

I have no use of the car and I dont have the original RC book only photocopies. Selling it anywhere will require a new rc book and NOC, both of which will cost in terms of money, headache and time.

So I went to the area opposite Russel market, the scrap dealers, and found that the car will presently go for Rs 22/kg and all I need is proof of ownership, identity proof and residence proof. Then only will the scrap dealer get a "chalan" from the union of scrap dealers to cut the car. So I should get about 16k for a 800 kg car.
The only thing I find difficult to take is that the scrap dealer will give me a signature on the letter I give him stating he has taken the car for scrap.
Now my doubt is that if he doesn't scrap the car and uses it for unlawful activities I could get into trouble as the car is registered in my name.

Can anyone throw some light on this or has had experience with the scrap dealers in Bangalore. thanks
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 21:31   #21
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I find difficult to take is that the scrap dealer will give me a signature on the letter I give him stating he has taken the car for scrap.
Now my doubt is that if he doesn't scrap the car and uses it for unlawful activities I could get into trouble as the car is registered in my name.
Can anyone throw some light on this or has had experience with the scrap dealers in Bangalore. thanks
I would suggest that you make him scrap the car in front of you. Once you are sure it cannot be re-fixed, leave the place
Old 21st April 2012, 11:11   #22
BHPian

Last week, I got my Fiat Palio scrapped in Delhi. Here is what I did -
  1. Contacted a scrap dealer on phone and got an estimate of the scrap value.
  2. Visited him with the car, negotiated and stuck deal at 26.5K
  3. Got the car scrapped in front of my eyes, took some pictures and also the part of chassis which had the chassis number embossed on it.
  4. He further gave me copy of his license and voter id and wrote on it that the car is being purchased from me for purpose of scrapping. I also got the same written on a stamp paper (scrap deal agreement).
  5. Visited the transport authority gave them all above papers, along with registration papers of the car. They gave me a receipt in writing.
I am purchasing a new car and have no claim on my scrapped car for last 3 years. So I will (possibly tomorrow) give the transport authority receipt to my insurance agent, who will then give me no claim certificate. Voila I will save 25% of insurance cost on my new car

Let me know if I can help in any way.(dealer number, paperwork format etc.)
satishchugh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
  3. Got the car scrapped in front of my eyes, took some pictures and also the part of chassis which had the chassis number embossed on it.
  4. He further gave me copy of his license and voter id and wrote on it that the car is being purchased from me for purpose of scrapping. I also got the same written on a stamp paper (scrap deal agreement).
  5. Visited the transport authority gave them all above papers, along with registration papers of the car. They gave me a receipt in writing.
I am purchasing a new car and have no claim on my scrapped car for last 3 years. So I will (possibly tomorrow) give the transport authority receipt to my insurance agent, who will then give me no claim certificate. Voila I will save 25% of insurance cost on my new car

Now that is absolutely the right way to go about it. Requires a bit of patience I guess but saves a lot of potential future headaches. I've always wondered what happens to all those 50s, 60s and 70s cars in the small towns and rural India. I'm sure scrapyards are few and far between unlike Delhi, Bombay etc. Maybe they lie like rotting carcasses in some corner.
Old 15th June 2012, 00:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, I'm also trying to do something similar.
I would like to know the contact details of the scrap dealer.
Please post them here for everybodys benefit.
Thanks!
Old 11th August 2012, 23:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

A way to scrap scooters is as hereunder.
Attached Thumbnails
Scrapping of Cars-scrap1.jpg  

Scrapping of Cars-scrap2.jpg  

Old 18th April 2013, 01:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Last week, I got my Fiat Palio scrapped in Delhi
Hey, where was this?
I have an old scooter, that is pretty much rusted off now. It hasn't been even cranked in over 8 years, doubt if anyone would make the effort for a restoration. We've probably even lost the original registration now. The only reason we haven't disposed it off till now, is the fear of some unlawful involvement.
Any clues how to go bout this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG9 View Post
Hi, I'm also trying to do something similar.
Did you manage to?
Old 18th April 2013, 07:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
I mean i've seen accedent cars being brought to the garage in a condition that you swear as 'totalled vehicle.
For instance, a month back I saw a swift there which looked like a ball of crushed paper. One month down the line, the car looks like it's just been out of the showroom
We would be encouraging a VERY dangerous trend in selling off a car that is barely road-worthy to mechanics such as these who indulge in shady business practices.

Remember that the stress points, crumple zones and impact beams of a vehicle are a product of extensive engineering and when these "totalled" vehicles that should be written off as a total loss are seemingly "repaired" at these mechanics, they still do not possess the structural integrity for a road worthy vehicle because they simply redo the body work on the car so it "looks" as though its almost new. There is more than meets the eye my friend, and a car that has been "repaired" like this SERIOUSLY endangers unsuspecting buyers and their families. Things like airbags and pretensioners on a seatbelt need a replacement once they have been used even once, and these roadside mechanics wouldn't care twopence about refitting them, to buyers who wouldn't know any better.

You can't be commending them on this ability of theirs to swindle people and risk lives that they damn well know they are endangering.

Last edited by Motored Mindset : 18th April 2013 at 07:50.
Old 18th April 2013, 08:29   #28
BHPian

Long back, approx 2003, we got our Fiat President scrapped.

Process was simple, the person who will scrap the car came with a pickup to take the car, gave a written letter stating that he is taking the car for scrapping it and not any other purpose, took a copy of the car documents with him. He came back the next day with 10k cash against the scrap recovered for which he took a signed letter from us, handed over the remaining metal plate from the engine bay which had the chassis and engine numbers, and gave us a letter which contained the transaction details which was forwarded to the RTO.

I guess this is very similar to the one mentioned above.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 15:06   #29

I think before scrapping a car, the registration number can be retained by the owner if he has had a possession of the car for more than 2 years. What that does is, it leaves you with the registration number of your previous car that can be registered to the new car you're planning to buy. So, there's another benefit, you don't have to part ways with the registration number, however, registration taxes are levied as usual on the new car.

I however, don't know if the same registration number can further be sold to someone. Any pointers?
Old 6th September 2013, 19:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxo_barge View Post
I however, don't know if the same registration number can further be sold to someone. Any pointers?
Selling of your old car's registration number is not permitted legally. To curb this practice, the transport authority has made it mandatory that the old car should be in your name for minimal of three years before you can transfer it to a new vehicle. So, even in case one buy's an old car with a desirable number, he/she needs to keep that vehicle for a minimum of three years before transferring to another (new) vehicle.
However, I know of someone who bought an old car with registration number and got it transferred to a new vehicle the very same day by paying some "convenience" charges.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks