Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scrapping of Cars

Can anyone please provide me the number of a genuine Car Scrapper in Bangalore.

Want to scrap my MH registered Mumbai Palio. Just doesn't make sense to get it back to Mumbai by spending (12-13K) to sell it here for 20-22 K. Better I sell it there for 20-22K

Please advice guys.
Old 26th May 2014, 10:57   #32
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have to get two cars scrapped, A 2000 Maruti Esteem and a 1993 Maruti 800. The problem that I face is that both of these cars are not in running condition and it doesn't make sense to pump money in these cars since the expense would pretty much exceed the money I'll get by selling them.

I would really appreciate a contact in Delhi who is reliable. I'd be thankful to recieve any leads.

Thank you!
Old 26th May 2014, 19:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I have to get two cars scrapped, A 2000 Maruti Esteem and a 1993 Maruti 800.
I would really appreciate a contact in Delhi who is reliable. I'd be thankful to recieve any leads.
What do you mean by reliable? Someone who'll not misuse the cars?

1. Just put them up on OLX/Quikr. If they're in bad condition physically, don't even bother to write not working. Just put up pics. Some scrapper will call you up. This happened in my case at least. Even when I mentioned everything's up to date and car running OKish.

2. Otherwise, you can find scrap dealers on the same sites.

3. Contact a raddiwala, they know scrappers. Don't expect the best price from them, though. (they'll get a commission)
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 21:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
What do you mean by reliable? Someone who'll not misuse the cars?

1. Just put them up on OLX/Quikr.

2. Otherwise, you can find scrap dealers on the same sites.

3. Contact a raddiwala, they know scrappers. Don't expect the best price from them, though. (they'll get a commission)
Yes Amol, someone who's dealt with a scrap dealer before and knows that the car won't be misused.

Thanks for the leads. OLX/Quickr seem to be the best option as of now.
Old 28th May 2014, 10:34   #35

Also, a simple google search for "Car scrap dealers in <City name>" would work.
Like the other people mentioned above, some links would point to OLX/Quickr which would have ads from the scrap dealers themselves. Just pick up the phone & strike a deal with them.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:51   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Would be nice if some member who wants to scrap their cars can post an intimation here. If anyone is looking for any particular parts, they can get in touch with the owner, or the scrap dealer before it's sold to someone else.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 19:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

I guess the information requested is two-part.

Part 1: Who will scrap the car / buy a scrap car (OLX . Quikr . Local raddiwala etc)

Part 2: How to prevent misuse of the car (will a document be provided and will a local raddiwala's document be valid in a court of law/RTO/Police). Common man is harrassed in india, and i i dont think it is wrong by the disposer to ask for a legally binding document.
Old 28th May 2014, 21:27   #38
BHPian

A few weeks ago, I had been to the Mayapuri Industrial area of Delhi for some work, I was amazed at the scene there. I have been to many scrap yards before, dealing with metals being my primary work, but this was so different and so gory being a petrol head and an automobile enthusiast. I saw a sumo being pushed in to a factory(scrap yard) by a bunch of guys, and then comes another guy with a big hammer and starts banging on the wheels, another comes with a tool and a small hammer and chips on the A pillar. Another comes chips on the hinges, all doors come off (glass was removed from the entire car). After the wheel hammering, a guy comes and kicks out the wheels after supporting the structure with some bricks. I was amazed and shocked, after that incident almost everyone friend I met, I described the situation. Not all reacted, some of them had a casual look on their faces, but me being an enthusiast was left saddened.
Sorry if anyone feels my post off-topic, mods may take it off if found unsuitable. Just wanted to share a feeling, had nowhere else suitable.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 20:13   #39
BHPian

Can anyone tell me if I can cancel the registration of a vehicle and garage it at home ? On inquiry with the RTO, they are saying that it is mandatory to scrap the vehicle once the registration is cancelled (Don't believe them though as there is no written information / direction seen any where).
The RTO has also issued the following notification which is not a good sign to garaged old vehicles.

http://keralamvd.gov.in/images/mvd/n...2014/91-14.pdf

We are planning to retire our old Ambassador (the one in my Team-Bhp garage) and don't want to sell or scrap it. I know that it may sound stupidly sentimental, but then there are a lot of memories associated with the vehicle and we don't want to see the car go :-(
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 19th February 2015 at 20:15.
Old 20th February 2015, 08:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Can anyone tell me if I can cancel the registration of a vehicle and garage it at home ?
If RTO procedures are becoming a bottleneck, then you can just keep the car off the public road, in your private premises as a show-piece and don't bother about anything else i.e. fitness, renewal, insurance - it will lapse automatically and since you will not use it on public roads, it is legal. Please correct if my understanding is wrong.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 10:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
If RTO procedures are becoming a bottleneck, then you can just keep the car off the public road, in your private premises as a show-piece and don't bother about anything else i.e. fitness, renewal, insurance - it will lapse automatically and since you will not use it on public roads, it is legal. Please correct if my understanding is wrong.
I thought in the same line. But the fact is that even if the registration expires, the road tax liability keeps on building and one day you will get a demand notice to pay the road tax with interest along with a threat of revenue recovery. If you go though the notification I have posted earlier, you will get the whole point.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 20th February 2015 at 10:25.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 10:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if I can cancel the registration of a vehicle and garage it at home ? On inquiry with the RTO, they are saying that it is mandatory to scrap the vehicle once the registration is cancelled (Don't believe them though as there is no written information / direction seen any where).
The RTO has also issued the following notification which is not a good sign to garaged old vehicles.

http://keralamvd.gov.in/images/mvd/n...2014/91-14.pdf

We are planning to retire our old Ambassador (the one in my Team-Bhp garage) and don't want to sell or scrap it. I know that it may sound stupidly sentimental, but then there are a lot of memories associated with the vehicle and we don't want to see the car go :-(
regards adrian

Cancel the registration and keep the car at home. Remove the number plate

In my opinion, RTO has no business on the stuff kept in your premises. They can only say that a vehicle whose registration is cancelled should not be used on public roads.

If you don't mind, please put the pics and details about your car (in a new thread or another appropriate one).

Last edited by pramodpk : 20th February 2015 at 10:58.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 17:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I thought in the same line. But the fact is that even if the registration expires, the road tax liability keeps on building and one day you will get a demand notice to pay the road tax with interest along with a threat of revenue recovery. If you go though the notification I have posted earlier, you will get the whole point.
regards adrian
Thanks. I got it. I think you should approach RTO and explain your polite and noble intentions. I think there should be no compulsion to scrap. If it is, maybe approaching a lawyer / Notary and making an affidavit would certainly help. Maybe it is interesting to find how the museum people manage it. I guess it is pretty straightforward.

Last edited by Ravindra M : 20th February 2015 at 17:08. Reason: New addition
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 19:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Cancel the registration and keep the car at home. Remove the number plate

In my opinion, RTO has no business on the stuff kept in your premises. They can only say that a vehicle whose registration is cancelled should not be used on public roads.

If you don't mind, please put the pics and details about your car (in a new thread or another appropriate one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Thanks. I got it. I think you should approach RTO and explain your polite and noble intentions. I think there should be no compulsion to scrap. If it is, maybe approaching a lawyer / Notary and making an affidavit would certainly help. Maybe it is interesting to find how the museum people manage it. I guess it is pretty straightforward.
Thank you pramodpk and Ravindra M, First of all I am going to file an application under Right to Information Act to know about the procedures of registration cancellation and see if there are any specific rule that states that one should scrap the vehicle immediately after cancellation of registration. If that is the case, then we are going to cancel the retirement programme And of course, I will share the details of the information I get out of the RTI act application for everybody's benefit.
regards adrian
Old 9th March 2015, 21:31   #45
BHPian

Is it required to present the vehicle before the RTO before cancelling the registration to scrap the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks